AFS Matchless in the USA

79x100

• 1 year later...

I was fortunate enough to pick up that Matchless G3LS from the 91 year old gentleman who was selling it. As a younger man he would use it to ride around his farm in Maine and was so sorry to see it go. It had not been started in over 35 years. I've since rebuilt the magneto, dyno, carb, horn, fixed the speedo, put on new Dunlops and am getting ready to rewire. Bike runs great and I hope to have it on the road shortly. So lucky that this bike was unmolested and with all its parts.

From what I understand, it came to the USA in the hold of a cargo ship in the 60's between layers of old tires with some other bikes; an Ariel, being one of them. I'm just starting to do some research now, so anything anyone can tell me about the registration, or of the AFS would be appreciated. Best I've been able to gather so far is that this a cold war machine and would have been used by dispachers, in the event of a nuke drop in the UK. Hard time picturing that. I'd love to know where it spent it's youth.

Top of the tank has a large AFS logo, and the side reads Mobil Fire Column.

It will now spend it's life running up and down the back roads of Cape Cod with gentle care.

-Brett

1954 Matchless_AFS.jpg

The Auxiliary Fire Service was first formed from volunteers at the start of WW11 to assist the regular fire service. During the war the fire services were merged to become the National Fire Service. Following WW11 the AFS was reformed as part of the Civil Defence , this of course being the cold war period. The AFS was finally disbanded in 1968. Hope this helps you a little.

The Auxiliary Fire Service was first formed from volunteers at the start of WW11 to assist the regular fire service. During the war the fire services were merged to become the National Fire Service. Following WW11 the AFS was reformed as part of the Civil Defence , this of course being the cold war period. The AFS was finally disbanded in 1968. Hope this helps you a little.

I have recollections of a holiday in Wales, around 1966 or 67 and seeing one of these AFS Matchless in the fire station at Rhayader in Mid Wales. Also saw convoys of AFS on the road near Moreton in Marsh, where they had a AFS training base.

There were a lot of Civil Defence motorcycles sold off in 1970's, I know there were early 1960 BSA B40 like new, also BSA B31 and Matchless. I opted for an ex-army B40 in the end, it had a stronger engine and gearbox.