leyland contractor

Tracks hang free. The trailer isn't military, neither was it built as an Artic Trailer.

It was a full trailer, with a bogey identical to the rear bogey, at the front end, towed by a ballast tractor. It has been adapted for Artic use, but the Helper axle (load divider)has to be used, to keep Contractor rear axle weights legal.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Isreali Contractors where badged Leyland, not Scammell, for fear of upsetting Arab neighbours who were buying Scammell products. The manufacturer felt there would be a backlash from Arab Countries against a Company supplying Israel, so different company names were used in the middle east, depending on who the customer was!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I know it isn't a military one so I hope I'm not breaking too many rules. Some time back someone around here visited York Trailers only to find them in the process of being shut down. One of the things which was saved from the skip was a couple of boxes of their photo archive. As you can probably imagine most of their pictures are only of interest to a serious trailer wonk but there are some interesting 60s/70s wagons in the piles of negatives.

These two did seem worth sticking in here.

Sadly these boxes were in bit of a state so no apologies for the rather poor quality of these scans.

3928419400_0f35b999bc_o.jpg

3927637777_3551187cb0_o.jpg

The Isreali Contractors where badged Leyland, not Scammell, for fear of upsetting Arab neighbours who were buying Scammell products. The manufacturer felt there would be a backlash from Arab Countries against a Company supplying Israel, so different company names were used in the middle east, depending on who the customer was!

For reasons like this Ford products were not allowed to be sold in Saudi Arabia during the seventies.My Father tells an amusing tale about some Ford trucks being badged Bedford to get them through the Saudi customs... Worked every time...

Hi All,

Just thought I'd let you know that I own one of the ex Australian Scammel (Leyland) contractors and have plans to restore it 'maybe one day'

I served in 26 Transport Squadron, Royal Australian Corps Of Transport at Puckapunyal which was co located with 158 Tank Transport Troop, primary operators of the 'Scammels' they were known.

Unfortunately my vehicle has lost it's original Cummins engin, winch, fithe wheel coupling and radiator /Grille assembly.

Cheers

Phill

Hi All,

Just thought I'd let you know that I own one of the ex Australian Scammel (Leyland) contractors and have plans to restore it 'maybe one day'

I served in 26 Transport Squadron, Royal Australian Corps Of Transport at Puckapunyal which was co located with 158 Tank Transport Troop, primary operators of the 'Scammels' they were known.

Unfortunately my vehicle has lost it's original Cummins engin, winch, fithe wheel coupling and radiator /Grille assembly.

Cheers

Phill

Would also like to see pictures as I visited Pukapunyal in 1990 and photographed a number of the contractors based there. Not to be pedantic but it is always MM and LL, SCAMMELL that is.

John.

Greetings all. When I can I will certainly post up some pics of what's left of the poor old Scammell (notice the correct spelling now).

At the moment I am without a home computer or scanner and have to use the local public library.

When the Scammell comes home in a few months (after a two year wait) I will post up some homecoming pics of the monster.

Cheers

Phill