leyland contractor

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
It takes a couple of hours. Someday when I am bored I will try to remember how to go about it.

Find Militant to lift off the ground anchors from on top of swan neck.

Start Donkey engine.

First jack under the Beam ends, thatsTractor end. lowering bit by bit until amost on the ground. Uncouple the Contractor, and drive out.

Take Contractor to other end of trailer and attach Holybones to the nose of Tractor and rear of rear bogey.

Jack under back beams to take weight. Struggle for an hour to take out the pins. and pull the back bogey well clear. (steering it by radio remote at same time as backing Contractor. This involves uncoulping the self steering mechanical link arms, so that hydraulic steering can be used. (every time I say jack something, the hoses from the power pack have to be suitably connected, eg to the front end of the trailer to use the inbuilt jacks) (So plenty of plugging/ unplugging of specific hoses throughout this operation)

Jack both ends of Trailer as high as you can get them. Inset 12" x12" timbers under tracks. (but not enough blocks to cover full length, so start from Front end of trailer). Lay a row of railway sleepers along the top of these baulks.

Later as the tank starts to drive off, carry block from one end to the other for it to run on...

Lower trailer a bit at each end until tank tracks are just above the blocks.

Unchain the tank, take off marker boards, side lighting etc..

Drop trailer as far as it will go and with luck there will be 1 1/2" clearance between the top of the beams and the belly plates.

Drive the tank backwards off trailer, and take it clear.

Push back bogey towards Trailer, steering it as you go. (radio remote)( Miss the pins several times and take another hour to work in the pins (and the two big bolts either side, (the ones I forget to tell you we take out earlier!!) Altering beam height on the Jacks several times in the process. Every time I say jack, may involve chasing round to find a suitable bit of packing, (usually it is at the other end under something heavy!). Pins need sledgehammer most of the time.

Uncouple Holybones, drive contractor to front, Back under Swan neck, using front jacks to alter height of fifth wheel. Couple up Airlines etc, Hump all the 12" xc 12" timber onto the trailer. Line up rear bogey Hydraulic steering, so mechanical self-steering can be re-connected.

Drive round the Arena for half an hour then spend another two and a half hours reversing this process to re-load. Go to the beer tent.......

that system is about to be changed,next project to do,putting slide plates on underneath of conq and a winch with pulley system to pull on and off so we,ll only have to drop one end of trailer for we are not getting any younger,hopefully we,ll be out and about with it in the not to distant future

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

r

Hi Andy (got it right this time) No connection at all with Scammell i only paid one visit to the factory in the month the first Commanders were ready for delivery so i can say i saw them come and now of course ive seen them go Jordon i believe for £1.00 each. My collection has amassed form nearly 40 years of collecting material mainly on wheeled vehicles and having a habit of leaving no stone unturned ie i hound any one i find has served in the forces to borrow snapshots, chasing manufacturers though not much left in the UK to follow up and countless establishment visits and of course rallies. There is plenty more to come including other nations heavies now thats a point i observe the Britsh items are split in to type threads is it best do this with other nations or say German, Dutch, Swedish HETS and group that country under one thread to save space on the site

cheers

:Les

I am ex army Scammell driver with lots of photographs. If you wish I can send you some.

Sean,

seanmccargo42@gmail.com