Scammell S26 Gallery

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Withams are still advertising them Mike ! Did the Antar get home under her own steam ! Thanks for taking her to Dorset I enjoyed watching you in the arena on the Thursday ! Hope the repairs not to expensive ! Regards Andy !http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,26,/16946/Scammell.htm

• 3 weeks later...
Hows the Scammell coming on RadioMike ?

Slowly Andy, I have spent the last few weeks collecting parts and rectifying minor issues. I have found a pair of S26 rear axles which will let it cruise at 57mph/1600rpm rather than 42mph/1600rpm which should make a vast improvement to the economy, journey times and noise levels. For some reason the RAF vehicles were fitted with 10.00 x 20 tyres rather than the usual 11.00 x 20, but I have aquired a set of 11 new 8.25 x 22.5 tubeless wheels which will take 12R 22.5 tyres and fill the front arches better.

Mike

on ebay there were super single rims for the front, would look good and i also have a guy who can supply a stgo plate rated at over 100ton, My old one now mikes was 100ton gross .lt could have gone more if i changed the 10x20 tyres, as you have done so you may be looking at mutch more poss 150ton.

on ebay there were super single rims for the front, would look good and i also have a guy who can supply a stgo plate rated at over 100ton, My old one now mikes was 100ton gross .lt could have gone more if i changed the 10x20 tyres, as you have done so you may be looking at mutch more poss 150ton.

I had thought of super singles for the front, have you got a link to the ebay ones? The RAF S26 tractors only have a pair of 9.1 ton springs, the RAF re-fuelers have a much heavier spring although the SOMA axles are still only rated at 12 tons each. By comparison even a standard DAF 75/85 has 13 ton axles.

Edited by radiomike7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I've often wondered if the 'Man from the Ministry' actually exists?

In the old days when surplus MV stock was returned to Bicester for auction the Ministry man would come to the auction, sit alongside the auctioneer and reject any sales that did not reach his reserve, so he certainly used to exist. The S26s were expected to sell to African buyers but they showed no interest in this batch.

I am looking for a pair of good 4.79:1 diffs from an RAF S26 re-fueller as the ones I bought are in a poor state; if anyone knows of any NOS ones perhaps they could let me know.