BROWN OR BLACK who knows.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

is it brown or is it black,or was it brown and now its black.

i get a lot of flack from the experts on this,who knows?

No guesses positive proof only.

IOWSteamRly002.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answer is probably either. I've now got sand couloured Jerry cans on the Dodge. Dated 1943 and 1944 they were landed through the Mulberry at Arramonches, were adopted by a local , and remained there till they were given to Geoff last month. They are and always have been Sand couloured.

That can is on a Champ, so it should be Black & White. Wartime cans can be any colour, but should have a White + or a White line on them to denote Water, the same way that the Germans did.

That can is on a Champ, so it should be Black .

Hi,Can i ask how you know this,cheers.

Is the black 'NATO Standard'?

Dont Know thats why i posted this.looks like everyones an expert on the rally field,but a dunce on here,wheres our can man gone.

No guesses proof only,or at least a feasable explanation.

No no..........NATO Standard is milk with two sugars ( tea that is ) :coffee:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:-( sorry, mate;......just looked and the articles on wartime/history, etc of the jerrycan.

Not much use to you, in your quest.

Andy

Thanks for trying.

• 2 weeks later...

I can advise that you can paint it any colour that the CO tells you to paint it as long as all the jerry cans are the same colour. every time there was a parade they got painted. As far as I am concerned there is no write or wrong colour with in reason, there are many shades of green, and just as many experts.

We have a champ parked in our hanger that was in private ownership for years, it is x Aust army and has the exhaust out through the front guard and down the passenger side.

A visitor came in from over there and told me we should put it back to under the vehicle so that it back to original. now I don't know were the exhaust should go but I do know that in Australia we are renowned for modifying equipment and changing the colours to suit.

When did you lot change to plastic jerry cans for water.

My point is you can never please every one.

When did you lot change to plastic jerry cans for water.

An article published last year on various markings stated that metal water cans were never brown & plastic ones were introduced in 1966. But I have a black one & a green one, both dated 1965. Last year I was very excited to find one dated 1964. But it was a strange lime green colour, then I noticed the National Code of the NSN was not 99 but 66. So its you lot down there that probably were the first to go to plastic!

Crikey its just like the buses nothing happens then they all come at once.

Thanks for all your replies.The reason i have started this thread is because i have heard all the stories before.In an effort to be correct i need some positive proof,ex servicemen i find usually have poor memories lets face it all national service men are all over 65.I havnt heard any feasable answers as yet from any one at any show or any where else,Oh yes mate its a champ got to be black,how do you know that? well its a champ init.There will be out there somewhere written evidence in thre form of equipment shedules etc .so get your ladders out up in the loft and get searching.Cheers.

was told that by a world expert. anyway i am right i new it was a champ

Hi Bertie,i see you are new here,and by your spelling not English,maybe you would like to tell us a bit about yourself .Wellcome anyway,:-D

was told that by a world expert. anyway i am right i new it was a champ

Hi Bertie,i see you are new here,and by your spelling not English,maybe you would like to tell us a bit about yourself .Wellcome anyway,:-D

When I joined the Army everything was green. 21 years later it was cam. My suggestion would be to select a unit and a date and then write to the current Regimental Technical Adijient (RTA) of that unit and ask?.

Hi have allready done the former but as its 1953 theres no one to ask.

btring2005andy.jpg

After looking into it they were brown on paper but as so many people have said units do what they want!

What was the 'it' that you were looking into - let me know where you've seen it written down. Would be very interested to learn more.

Well done Bertie,you can go english classes during the winter at night class.not a loter money,do yuo hav vechile ov yor own to retsore?your english is better than my latvian.you have the lots of fun here.