Scammell Crusader Gallery

Scammell Crusader UYL814S

It was owned by Graham Booth for a while. :)

The picture shows it when in the ownership of my father Brian Freer he used it for moving road making plant for Tarmac ltd Corby Northants .

He also moved several steam rollers/ engines etc and a lot of railway rolling stock for museums as shown in the picture.

The Scammell was used everday for this type of work and the picture shows it as was worked not in preservation. Graham Booth did own it before us ,as did Dave Crouch .

Is it still with us or is it now driving down that big motorway in the sky!!! :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

• 4 weeks later...
In that post #79 what would the max allowed speed be for a combination like that ? 12-20 miles per hour ? And what distance would be allowed as the Antars wheels would be turning the transmission the whole time .

The recovery becomes a heavy locomotive able to tow 3 trailers (Antar and laden semi trailer is classed as 2 trailers) and is limited to 20mph on any road including motorways. The Antar propshaft would be removed to prevent transmission damage. With just 305bhp and a train weight of circa 110 tons progress would be somewhat pedestrian.

The Antar had been towing a prototype SP70 self propelled howitzer when it caught fire and burned out.

Edited by radiomike7

In that post #79 what would the max allowed speed be for a combination like that ? 12-20 miles per hour ? And what distance would be allowed as the Antars wheels would be turning the transmission the whole time .

Most Antars carried dummy hub caps which could be fitted if the half shafts were removed, which I can asure you would be easier than removing the props (they are big), this would mean that even the differentials would not be turning.

I am also puzzled about the "Technical Imposibility" as this is a real photo.

John.

Thank You for the reply , I had considered they might remove the drive shaft but didn't think it was possible from the confines underneath , as for the half shafts I didn't know they had dummy replacement covers both conditions would change the operating limits.

please enlighten me mike :sweat:

The photo was taken when Antar was still in service ie pre 1984/85

The photo appeared in Brian Baxter's book 'Breakdown' which was first published in 1989.

The QE2 bridge did not exist before 1991, so there is no way the combination could have been 'goin over the Dartford crossing':-D

The scene looks very much like the North Circular at Woodford??

Well done Ed!

Most Antars carried dummy hub caps which could be fitted if the half shafts were removed, which I can asure you would be easier than removing the props (they are big), this would mean that even the differentials would not be turning.

John.

OK, we must have a race one day, to avoid spinning the actual diffs (which only have plain bearings) you will need to pull all 4 half shafts, fit the dummy ends and stow 4 oily half shafts. I only have to disconnect one companion flange from the leading axle and tie up the front prop (12 nuts?)

i should of known this :sweat: was a little before my time i was only born in 1986 as for location now i look at the photo properly it is on the A406

thanks for corecting me me mike ill go back and hide in the gaurage now after makeing a fool of myself :cry:

nick

i should of known this :sweat: was a little before my time i was only born in 1986 as for location now i look at the photo properly it is on the A406

thanks for corecting me me mike ill go back and hide in the gaurage now after makeing a fool of myself :cry:

nick

We know what you meant, I was being my usual pedantic self!!

OK, we must have a race one day, to avoid spinning the actual diffs (which only have plain bearings) you will need to pull all 4 half shafts, fit the dummy ends and stow 4 oily half shafts. I only have to disconnect one companion flange from the leading axle and tie up the front prop (12 nuts?)

I don't think that when in service they were too interested in speed. Removing the half shafts means that you are not "back driving" the worm and wheel assemblies during the tow, reducing the posibility of damage to the axle and reducing drag slightly, at that sort of weight everything would help !!!

Having said that I think I would prefer to pull the halfshafts as the easier of the two jobs.

John.

I am also puzzled about the "Technical Imposibility" as this is a real photo.

John.

Each Antar only carries one dummy cap, the second was expected to come from the towing Antar, and with these two caps you could isolate one diff of one axle only.

Removing the half shaft means removing the outer road wheel, complete with its adaptor ring, One road wheel weighs 5 Cwt so you have a ton plus of wheels to take off and put back on if you are going to pull out all the half shafts, and you can only do it if you can locate four dummy caps, and as I said an Antar only carries one in it's kit.

dummyhalfshaftcap.jpg

For those unfamiliar with Antar rear axles, the inner wheels are carried on one set of studs (135) The outer wheel is carried on an adaptor ring that has another ten studs. (un-numbered but extreme left of illustration.)

The adaptor ring is carried on ten more studs (145) that mount it onto the hub. The half shaft drive flange (143) (or the dummy half shaft cap) is sandwiched between the adaptor ring and the hub. Taking out the half shaft means removing the outer road wheel complete with its adaptor ring, removing the half shaft, sliding the dummy half shaft cap over the studs (145) and remounting the outer road wheel. This is not an easy job, since all four hubs must also be jacked in turn, before the road wheel can be removed. The outer road wheel with the adaptor ring is over 5 Cwt.

Edited by antarmike

dummyhalfshaftcap.jpg

For those unfamiliar with Antar rear axles, the inner wheels are carried on one set of studs (135) The outer wheel is carried on an adaptor ring that has another ten studs. (un-numbered but extreme left of illustration.)

The adaptor ring is carried on ten more studs (145) that mount it onto the hub. The half shaft drive flange (143) (or the dummy half shaft cap) is sandwiched between the adaptor ring and the hub. Taking out the half shaft means removing the outer road wheel complete with its adaptor ring, removing the half shaft, sliding the dummy half shaft cap over the studs (145) and remounting the outer road wheel. This is not an easy job, since all four hubs must also be jacked in turn, before the road wheel can be removed. The outer road wheel with the adaptor ring is over 5 Cwt.

Not giong to argue with that explanation, only to add that my ANTAR came with 2 dummy caps, someone must have aquired another one during a recovery operation.