Scammell Crusader Gallery

Andy, the first one belongs to Mike Thomas of the Scammell Register, the second belongs to Terry Ainger, also a Register member. Terry got bored with the standard gearing and tried the recovery diffs but ended up with a pair of non standard axles and a top speed of 70 or so. I believe his Rolls 305 has been tweaked to about 350.

Andy, the first one belongs to Mike Thomas of the Scammell Register, the second belongs to Terry Ainger, also a Register member. Terry got bored with the standard gearing and tried the recovery diffs but ended up with a pair of non standard axles and a top speed of 70 or so. I believe his Rolls 305 has been tweaked to about 350.
Thanks Mike always nice to have a bit of info ! :-D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
a clip of a Scammell earning its keep getting another truck back on the road , a slow steady pull does it all , not even a need for an anchor as the lads have already lightened the load greatly.

That is something of a hybrid which Jacksons of Morpeth put together themselves. Crusader running gear with Martian recovery gear on the back, a very capable vehicle, as you can see it retains the Martian earth spade under the rear end.

Just fired my Crusader up and turned it round in my yard ready to start some serious restoration work on it in the new year. It has not been on the road for about 5 years now, I have just used it as a static crane for shifting all the other junk around in the yard. It has an EFFER 9ton/metre crane fitted where the big stowage box used to be, it is powered by a Hatz donkey engine fitted where one of the battery boxes was.

It was a bit difficult to start as it was about -1 here all day, but eventually it went.

2008_1229crusader-bits0008.JPG

2008_1229crusader-bits0009.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Just fired my Crusader up and turned it round in my yard ready to start some serious restoration work on it in the new year.

A formidable vehicle and well worth the time and effort you'll be putting in during it's restoration. Looking forward to seeing a few more photographs as the work progresses. Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

The "push me pull you Crusader". A few years ago I bought the front end of a Crusader 35t tractor from a breakers yard, the rear bogie had been exported to Africa but everything in front of the bogie remained. The easiest way to bring it home was to suspend tow the remains backwards with the Holmes 5th wheel wrecker fitted to my Crusader. All I did in the breakers yard was burn two big holes in the remains of the chassis rails, put 2 big shackles through the holes and pick it up from there, I tied up the steering wheel with rope in the straight ahead position. I did get some funny looks from people whilst driving it back or was that forwards? The picture shows it arriving back at its resting place. I eventually got round to cutting it up, the cab went to Paul Rhodes and I kept the doors, engine, winch assembly and gearbox.

DSCF0007a.JPG

DSCF0008a.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My father used to own a Scammell Crusader 6X4 65ton tractor unit fitted with a 71 series detroit diesel.Its reg no was UYL814S Ex Pickfords heavy haulage . The last i know of it, it

was converted to a recovery vehicle, it was painted yellow and operated by bypass garage ? possibly in the bolton area . Anyone know what happend to it ,where it is now ?

please ring with any info Ben 01858 565 425