DAF YB626 Wrecker

Hello Tony

Yes I beleave the Daf was based on the M62 wrecker but the Dutch army put there own cabs on the chassis, the wrecker gear was Austin Western, as far as I no they were built up untill 1959, but a few were registed later on. I have been hold that only forty of these wreckers were ever built.The engine was a six cylinder continental,9865cc. So not very not many miles to the gallon.

Regards

Howard

Hello Mark

It could well have been there, it didnt need to much work doing to it, I think the guy changed some of the tyres due to cracking, apart from that it was mainly paint but even that was good.

Howard

Must admit Howard - If I had the funds when you advertised I would have taken her off your hands.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Ward to bits and wouldn't part with it for anything but it would have been nice to have a modern wrecker to actually have a recovery play with as well. The Ward can do recovery with the right equipment but the problem is finding the equipment.

When I purchased the Ward from Holland, the chap selling it had a fully kitted out M62 Wrecker for the same money. It have every piece of wrecker kit you could think of from Jump leads to A-bar, anchor plates and pins, shackles, chains, etc. You name it - it had it on the back.

I actually left Holland having purchased the M62 but on the ferry home I changed my mind having always wanted a WWII vehicle.

Thats how close I came to owning an M62 instead of the Ward.

Markheliops

Hello Mark

Yes I looked at an M62 before the Daf, nice pieces of kit, well thats what the Daf is at the end of the day an M62, the old girl had all the recovery kit as well. Got to admit if I found a complete M62 I would be temted,Its nice to have the WW2 vehicles but like you say is getting all of the correct kit to go with it.

Howard

• 1 month later...
Hey Howard -

Is this your old motor up for sale - again - by the recent new owner - can't imagine why he wants to sell - he' s only just brought it.

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds.php?type=4

Markheliops

I bought a Zil 131 only to see Howards ad 2 weeks later, always wanted a wrecker. Some time later saw it was still for sale, paid the man & drove it home '130 miles'.

I've been to a couple of events & will be taking it to Faversham at the end of the month if not sold, or to hand over to the new owner :cry:. This Saturday we're off up to the tyre fitters, rims off, tubes out & refit.

I think like a lot of you, if I had more space she would be staying, I fancy a bit of a project, but nothing to major.

2348267557_61c0382c85_b.jpg