Museum of Army Transport, Beverley

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took lots more of the METs and the HETs, and also got a ride in the Scammell Crusader with a great bloke named Rob Jones. I took lots more pix which were just plain rubbish and many that repeat the scenes shown. My favourite pic of all these is the forlorn looking desert sand Ferret which I'm sure was going to scrap. The back workshops were litterally brimming with stuff, it looked ransacked. I feel so sorry for Wally Duggan and all the people who worked so hard to make it what it was.I would have liked to have stayed all day to see the convoy leave (and meet the mayoress), but I had to be back in Southend by late afternoon. I managed the drive from Hull to sunny in Essex in a hectic three and a bit hours....in a Toyota Corolla....I pity the poor bugger who bought that car off us. Thanks for the kind comments....it makes it worthwhile.

I think the special trailer was meant to be integral. It was nice...I rushed around too much in the sleat and missed a lot of stuff which might have looked better on their own wheels. I wish I could wind the clock back and take some of you blokes with me for guidance....

Ah well , we all know how much Elvis got about don't we - I mean , we didn't know about his visit to London with Tommy Steele until a few weeks ago did we - so you can never tell :-D

thats true, mind you, according to Agent K, "Elvis didnt die, he just went home!!" :cool2:

Mark

I know that 2 ex army austerity steam locos have just been donated to the Isle of Wight steam railway, who have restored both of them to running order. I believe that one or both, were at the Beverly museum They also have an ex-army diesel shunter which also works.

The carriage seen in the pictures now resides in one of the sheds in Chatham dockyard.

I know that man ........he has since joined the MV movement and is now restoring a Daimler Dingo.

Really? Small world. He was a corporal. He definitely liked the old stuff. He was Very helpful and found my mobile when I lost it. I dropped it in the Scammell. Not much has changed on the phones front...

MB

• 2 years later...

Glad to say I had the opportunity to visit the museum when it was up and running -- a unique collection and what a shame! What happened to the Ford -- does anybody know?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37788[/ATTACH]

Here's one of the Bofors guns rotting on the side of an airfield

DSC00099small.jpg

What actually happaned to all the vehicles, did they get sold off into private hands? There were some real crackers by the look of it but I don't seem to have seen many if any of them since.

I thought not all the exhibits at Beverley were owned by the museum, I thought some were in private ownership whilst at the museum, and only on loan. I recall going round and seeing small stickers on things saying who owned them, but I may be wrong.

Brilliant pics, thank you for taking the time to melt your computer and post all of them.

Yes some very interesting vehicles, and as yet the un- answered question is where did they all go to?

Also, the Scammell Commander, to who did that belong to and is this the "famous" didnt go to Jordan one that was "taken apart" to make it invisible legend. . . .

R

What actually happaned to all the vehicles, did they get sold off into private hands? There were some real crackers by the look of it but I don't seem to have seen many if any of them since.

The majority were part of the National Army Museum collection, apparently there are plans for an NAM North (at Catterick I think) which will provide a home for these. Some vehicles and railway items are at Locomotion.

Crusader Tank 'Ajax' Locomotion Museum, Shildon

More of the railway items, for example Kitchener's coach, are at Chatham Dockyard, under the RE Museum's care. The narrow gauge exhibits were moved to a railway in Lincolnshire (I think). Some of the vehicle exhibits are at the REME reserve collection at Borden (not open to the public) and some vehicles are at Bovington (notably the Churchill Mk.II and Rhino).

jch

hi guys, firstly great photos I visited a few times and Wally is a good friend of mine, we keep in touch and always meet at war and peace...

The electric car is at bordon, and a few of the land rovers are as well, I am guessing now part of their collection or the Dunsfold collection, some of the other vehicles as said did belong to private owners.

And yes there was supposed to be a move to caterick, but it's amazing how someone being very greedy can screw something like this all up.....

Glad to say I had the opportunity to visit the museum when it was up and running -- a unique collection and what a shame! What happened to the Ford -- does anybody know?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37788[/ATTACH]

Here's one of the Bofors guns rotting on the side of an airfield

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37789[/ATTACH]

Is this Airfield Sandtoft by any chance ?