New 2008 Army Wrecker

The armour is not fitted at Aschurch.

OK, maybe I assumed too much from the litle bit of information I have.

I'm a truck mechanic at a MAN dealer. I got sent to Ashchurch for a while because they needed someone with an HGV licence to drive the new trucks in and out of the workshop. Even though it is private land, the army insist on anyone driving a vehicle on the depot roads having the correct licence.

One of my jobs was to drive a wrecker to another building to "have the armour fitted". I parked it outside and walked in to tell them it was there.

I never actually saw any vehicles enter or leave the building, they obviously weren't churning them out the way we were with the PDIs, although there was one bar armoured MAN parked outside.

If the armour is fitted at NP Aerospace, then maybe the guys at Ashchurch were doing some sort of preliminary work ready to have it fitted. I'm only going on what I was told and what looked like a Mastiff having armour fitted in their workshop.

I was told the windscreen story by one of the other MAN mechanics. Two other guys were with us and laughed about the two passengers getting soaked as the water came in. I don't think any of them were at DVD, they must have heard from someone who was.

OK, maybe I assumed too much from the litle bit of information I have.

I'm a truck mechanic at a MAN dealer. I got sent to Ashchurch for a while because they needed someone with an HGV licence to drive the new trucks in and out of the workshop. Even though it is private land, the army insist on anyone driving a vehicle on the depot roads having the correct licence.

One of my jobs was to drive a wrecker to another building to "have the armour fitted". I parked it outside and walked in to tell them it was there.

I never actually saw any vehicles enter or leave the building, they obviously weren't churning them out the way we were with the PDIs, although there was one bar armoured MAN parked outside.

If the armour is fitted at NP Aerospace, then maybe the guys at Ashchurch were doing some sort of preliminary work ready to have it fitted. I'm only going on what I was told and what looked like a Mastiff having armour fitted in their workshop.

I was told the windscreen story by one of the other MAN mechanics. Two other guys were with us and laughed about the two passengers getting soaked as the water came in. I don't think any of them were at DVD, they must have heard from someone who was.

MAN do have a "garage" there and can do repair/PDI work. The ballistic armour is Austrian but the Bar armour is fitted by NP. The Bar armour involves a lot of drilling!! So it was maybe this that MAN were doing, like you said, prelimary stuff.

recymech, what you think of them??

OPSEC stuff aside.

I like it a lot, its got loads of stuff the old wreckers don't, it can lift more and winch more, its a dream to drive.

Shame it doesn't have a sleeper cab like the Foden but you can't have everything, but its doing very well on Operations.

A lot of guys were/are sceptical but I'm sold on it, but I will miss the Foden when it finally goes out of service.

Glad you like it, i didnt do much with it on the SV trials as it was someone elses bag, you probably know him (SB). But i was on a meeting other day and was told its going well in Afghan.

One of the trials i did with the new FuelRack on back of IM DROPS and SV®. We were doing weighbridge stuff.

DSCF0846.jpg

All the SV MAN's have rotary gear selector apart from the SX and Recovery versions which have a full auto gearbox with button select gearmodes.

The truck in the picture is a HX 9t with 6 wheeled drive.

The buttons shown are..

all wheel drive

front diff

rear diff

interaxle.

The vehicle does has a PTO button but not near the diff buttons. The vehicle is actually this one....

RHA_RD_091.jpg

Taken at TRL test track in Surrey at a Transport Select Committee demo. Was asked to take MP's around the track, managed to get a photo from one of the press photographers after the demo was finished.

cutting edge tech . impressive machines . I ll hope they serve the troops well that are counting on them and with ma duce or would it be something smaller ? installed above the cab I m sure if called to fight back it will keep the other side on the move.

Do they get seventy two virgins if they perish in combat as well as suicide bombings?

I've got no photos (not allowed) only my memory to go on.

All the 6x6 tankers I drove had the push button auto box like the wrecker.

Come to think of it now, I don't remember seeing any 6x6 cargo trucks, only 4x4 and 8x8.

Mind you, I only got to drive maybe a couple of hundred trucks out of an order for 8000, so there could well be variants I never saw.

I never had any reason to operate the diff locks or PTO either, so I'm not that familiar with the switches.

The 6x6 tanker and 8x8 wrecker towing a Foden in the pictures you posted don't appear to have the holes on the doors and cab which I think are for fixing the armour. The pictures on page 4 of this thread also show a different winch rope end to the ones I saw. It also looks like the crane hook is hanging loose when I remember the hook dropping in to a box with the crane stowed to stop it swinging around. I guess there must be some slight differences between the trial and production versions.

I've got no photos (not allowed) only my memory to go on.

All the 6x6 tankers I drove had the push button auto box like the wrecker.

Come to think of it now, I don't remember seeing any 6x6 cargo trucks, only 4x4 and 8x8.

Mind you, I only got to drive maybe a couple of hundred trucks out of an order for 8000, so there could well be variants I never saw.

I never had any reason to operate the diff locks or PTO either, so I'm not that familiar with the switches.

The 6x6 tanker and 8x8 wrecker towing a Foden in the pictures you posted don't appear to have the holes on the doors and cab which I think are for fixing the armour. The pictures on page 4 of this thread also show a different winch rope end to the ones I saw. It also looks like the crane hook is hanging loose when I remember the hook dropping in to a box with the crane stowed to stop it swinging around. I guess there must be some slight differences between the trial and production versions.

The production models have a different winch rope end than the Prototype wagons also the hook locks up against the jib when in the stowed postion, I've seen both the box you refer to and also without.

I'll try to repost the pics that aren't showing up.

Militant,

The 6x6 Tanker variant you drove is the Unit Support Tanker with SX chassis..full independant suspension and auto gearbox. Not many of them and yes, they do use buttons to operate gearbox.

The majority of the Tankers are 6x6 with HX chassis and rotary gear selector with semi-auto gearbox.

There are 6x6 cargos, and between me and a few of us knowledgeable in the SV trials team...we should of bought more!!