Ultra Size Tank proposals of WW2

Below are some links of proposed ultra sized land dominating tanks of the third reich, which would have used Battleship turrets and U-Boat engines. Other than that, they would be able to literally flatten cities in no time

http://strangevehicles.greyfalcon.us/Landkreuzer%20P1000%20Ratte.htm

http://www.vincelewis.net/ultratank.html

If anything, they remind me of the 'Megaforce' toys i played with when i was a kid:-D: http://www.toyarchive.com/Megaforce/Megaforce.html

Edited by Cutaway

Amazing stuff!

Would have been interesting if they had built a prototype and it had made it into preservation if only to see the engineering involved.

As the article says it would probably have been a good thing for the allied war effort too if so much of the German resources had been expended on the project.

Makes me wonder what other projects were considered, by both sides, and never made it into production. Surely with time some more details of these secret projects should have come into the public domain.

All that weaponry - and a flight of Lancaster's with Grand Slams or Tall Boys would likely have taken it out in one strike.....

Which in turn would mean all those resources - oil, steel, crews, weaponry etc would have been wasted. As the article on that web page said it might have won a battle but at the cost of the campaign!!

All that weaponry - and a flight of Lancaster's with Grand Slams or Tall Boys would likely have taken it out in one strike.....

Which in turn would mean all those resources - oil, steel, crews, weaponry etc would have been wasted. As the article on that web page said it might have won a battle but at the cost of the campaign!!

On the other hand , thankfully a lot of time and effort was wasted on such things. Intresting mind game. What happens if the third reich concentrates on practical designs such as advanced U boats and the Junkers 262?

Who made the fantastic models by the way?

That Maus reminds me of the very large tank that sits in the present cafe area of Bovvy, I dont know if my mind is playing tricks, but Im sure there was a super heavy there in that hall? Dont know what it was. Can anyone confirm that or shall I just get my coat...

The biggest tank I can think of in that hall is the Conqueror.

When the Brits proudly displayed their new baby, the Cent at the Berlin victory parade, they were distraught when they were trumped by the Russians' Stalin 3 heavy tank, and even more distraught that their intelligence services hadn't caught a whiff.

The British promptly produced Conqueror in response to the JS3 (or IS3 depending on how you like to spell Josef) and it did its time in BAOR but it was never the greatest tank that ever was.