Antar on Milweb

The picture of 330UVX on this site is fitted with a Darlington type 70 winch, the one one the photopic site has the Turner winch. They are not the same vehicle. Someone is swapping number plates around on two different vehicles. 02 BD 16 was in the first batch of steel ballast bodied Mk 1 Antars, ( with Turner winch) (and has the fuel tanks above and across the chassis behind the cab)and is at REME Museum. The Antar on this site is a Mk2 or Mk1B depending on who you listen to. It has a Darlington winch and is a fifth wheel tractor. It cannot carry a ballast body because the rear winch rollers are different and don't allow one to be fitted. Its fuel tanks are either side of the Chassis.

Edited by antarmike

I understand that he is setting up a museum to comemorate the building of the "Snowy Mountains Hydro-electric Scheme" in Australia. I have it on good authority that it cost around £6500 to export each Antar to Australia. Someone else can add it all up but it is serious money !!!

Has anyone heard anything of these two Antars since their arrival in Australia ? A quick search of the web has revealed nothing. In a business plan of the museum published on a website the proposed opening date was...I think ....em.. 2006. I hope these two Antars were not simply acquired to give substance to an ultimately unsuccessful fund raising scheme, the proposed museum would have cost A$3.2m, and are now just standing unloved, bewildered and very home sick under the punishing Aussy sun.

I can't see the sense in taking over two Petrol Engine Antar to re-create the Snowy Mountain scheme Antars, when they were built with the Diesel Version of the Meteorite.

They just wont sound right, but I expect they will get parked up in a building never to turn a wheel again.

There are so many minor differences between the Civvy Export model and the Army tank transporter, it will be hard to make a beleivable fake.

Hills of Botley had the ex McAlpine Antar, (also diesel Meteorite ) at the back of their yard at one time, but I don't know what happened to it.

Some of the ones that went from Military to Civilian Haulage survive. The Chris Miller Antar was with the Lawtons as were a couple of the ex DMD Antars. The Elliots of York Antar was definitely scrapped. (The back bogey going under their Pacific when converted from chain drive to shaft drive.

Mike Pickup has a Mk3 that worked for a while for a demolition Contractor. Brian Baileys Mk3 of course spent a long time in Civilian usage at Manchester Airport. I have lost track of the Blue, ex Short Brothers, Swansea Antar, but I would think it is still around.

Edited by antarmike