Polsten Quad

Chappers

Well after much consideration and a lot of sucking up to the Mrs I brought the Polsten Quad that was Advertised on Milweb a few weeks back.

We managed to get it delivered eventually but thats another story,and started to work on it. My aim was to get it running in a week and painted within 2 week to start the Show season. Lots of bits had been removed and painted by the previous owner so we had to put it all back together. The Hydraulic hoses were leaking badly so they needed replacing, they were outragously expensive. New Hydraulic oil and some fuel then finally we started it and it burst into life.

Its going to be quite a show piece adding to the rest of the gear we've got.

Heres the first time we started it with hydraulic fluid in the system.

Regards

Steve

Hi Jack,We tend to stay in the Midlands area as Fuel now is not cheap and we seem to be able to attend about 12 small to meduium size shows a year.I will be at Severn Valley Railway for a week in June/July then various one day events within about 40 miles of Birmingham. I'll probably attend Beltring as I'm in need of some bits and bobs but thats about it.

As for the Polsten weighing in at over 3 tons ,It'll only be going to a few shows this season,,,,,,,but anyones welcome to call in if your heading through the Midlands and give it a whirl.

Behind the 352 this afternoon copyofs1030915lj2.jpg

Regards

Steve

Edited by Chappers

Great bit o kit.

Certainly different...............Must admit to not wanting to be sat 'in the middle', whilst using guns in anger,...............with only a tin hat for protection. :sweat:

Nice one, Steve. :)

All the best,

Andy

As for the Polsten weighing in at over 3 tons ,It'll only be going to a few shows this season,,,,,,,but anyones welcome to call in if your heading through the Midlands and give it a whirl.

Behind the 352 this afternoon copyofs1030915lj2.jpg

Regards

Steve

Is it really 3 tons :shocked: does not seem to be squashing the tyres much ?

What does it tow like behind the 352 ?

Here is the exact spec on the Polsten Quad, It's quiet a weight to tow and you know it's behind especially when you hit a hill :shocked:. I need to construct a large lighting board as the Polsten is wider than the GMC.

It takes four guys to remove the trailer from the mounting as it has to be lifted to chest height to unhook the rear mountings. I tried it with Just two of us which we managed but ended up with a pair of white underpants that looked like the Japaneese flag.

The Tyres are 10.50x16 and brand new,they still have the casting pimples on the tread :)

regards

Steve

Rate of fire 450rds per min

Effective ceiling 6630 ft

Muzzle velocity 2725 ft/s

RiflingConcentric RH twist, 1 in 720

Magazine capacity30rd box or 60rd drum

Overall length of gun 84"

Length of barrel 57"

Weight of gun 126lb (57kg)

Weight of 60rd mag empty 31lb 8oz (14.3kg)

Weight of 60rd mag full 64lb (29kg)

Weight of 20mm round 8oz (225g)

Date of manufacture 1944

ManufacturerJohn Inglis Company, Canada

Mounting weight 3910lb (1777kg)

Platform weight1 320lb (600kg)

Carriage weight 1665lb (757kg)

Total weight of quad gun 6895lb (3134kg)

We have one on these which i tow behind the half track, I agree that getting it off the carriage is hard work, and you do know when you've hit an incline... The whole thing though is very well balanced... Once you've got it 'up' it is not that difficult to move around by hand (two people) - although not for any distance.

Ken

Forgot - a picture

I notice from the photos Ken you have not got the sights on the Polsten ,Do you have a set ??. I'm in need of the sights and brackets,if I can't find one I'll be making one shortly.

Rick Definately not given up on the Morris, It's on hold until the autum as show season is upon us. I'll be starting the welding in August and will post a blog of the restoration as we go, it's certainly a challange.

regards

Steve

Hi Ken,

When I get around to it I'll let you know,If I come across one I'll also let you know. Nice to know there's another one around to chat about

Regards

Steve

P.S

Your one lucky guy to have a half track,may be in acouple of year I'll be joining you :)

"Nice to know there's another one around to chat about"

What a great place this is where we can get away with saying things like that......

"Your one lucky guy to have a half track,may be in acouple of year I'll be joining you :)"

If only it stopped at a HT, there's to Sherman, WC21, WC23, WC37, WC62, Diamond T, and several jeeps, D2 Cat all to get fuel in.....

I am still hunting for the bits to complete the Polsten, will likewise let you know if i find them 'first'.......

"Nice to know there's another one around to chat about"

What a great place this is where we can get away with saying things like that......

"Your one lucky guy to have a half track,may be in acouple of year I'll be joining you :)"

If only it stopped at a HT, there's to Sherman, WC21, WC23, WC37, WC62, Diamond T, and several jeeps, D2 Cat all to get fuel in.....

I am still hunting for the bits to complete the Polsten, will likewise let you know if i find them 'first'.......

WOW that's some collection you've got,The good Lord certainly smiled on you.

regards

Steve

• 14 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...