radio mast

David,

That's the one I have. I'll have to dig out the bits, but you need some guy ropes, the base plate and the insulator (don't know what it's real name is) in order to put it up.

Chris

Well it could be:

Mast, telescopic, 27 ft, No 1. I have the EMER in front of me no NSN is quoted as it is 1963 which predates the full implementation of NSNs. I have the CES, but can't find it.

Or:

Mast, telescopic, 8 metres. I have the IPC & CES, but can't find either.

I made a mistake on the NSN it was redesignated from

5820-99-105-4169

to

5985-99-105-4169

NSC 5820 "Radio & television communication equipment, except airborne" was rather too vague when there was a more appropriate NSC in 6985 "Antennas, waveguides & related equipment".

It is defined as "Antenna & Installation kit" Made by Racal Part No. 638-999.

The 8 metre is 9 sections. I'll count the sections on the 27 ft one. Also will check I have a lot of EMERs on Clansman VHF antennas.

As stated previously it is commonly referred to as a 27 foot mast, used with Larkspur radios. When 15/19H took delivery of Clansman about 1979, our 27' masts were replaced by a selection of 8- and 12m metre masts.

The friction locking rings on the 27' mast could be a bitch. ISTR 8- and 12m masts both had positive locking bolts which went through the mast, making it impossible to collapse accidentally. To collapse a 27' mast in a hurry, it was possible to undo the bottom locking ring and allow the whole thing to telescope under gravity, unrestrained. As each section closed, the smack was enough to release the next section and the whole collapsed in seconds. It did not do the mast any favours and it was a very messy process with cables going everywhere and fingers getting trapped if you did not step away.

Either or both of the 8- and 12m masts were designed so that as each section collapsed, it soft-landed due to air trapped inside it.

It was a shock being awoken by a self-collapsing 27' mast in the middle of the night, ALWAYS in inclement weather and in the dark.

• 3 years later...

Ground anchor.

I have the mast that is shown in this link http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?8090-radio-mast&highlight=larkspur+mast.

I gather it is Made by Racal Part No. 638-999, please forgive me as I am not a radio man.

I am trying to obtain a new/used ground anchor (A large tent peg with a hole in the top for the mast to sit in).

If anyone has a spare that they would be willing to part with, could they please drop me a pm.

Regards

SEGREQ

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, I have just been given one of these masts and I am missing a couple of bits to it, anyone know where I can get spares, I am after the top 3 locking rings and the two guy plates and the bit for the top.