What is the daftest thing anyone has asked you...

antarmike

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was driving a Land Rover and trailer up past the Angel in North London in 1980s with a few other vehicles from my unit. An 'old git' er.. sorry 'grey haired gentleman' pulled along side me at the lights and was trying to say something to me. Fearing something was wrong, I leant over and slid the passenger window open. What he said amazed me!

"Your trailer and vehicle have got different registration numbers!"

"I know, this is the Army mate" I said.

"Don't give me that, I know the law and I'm going to report you to the Police" said old git.

"Well don't forget to tell them I've got no f**king MOT, Tax or Insurance either" said I.

Sadly the lights changed so I could not discuss this matter further but I have often wondered what reception he would have had from the Policeman as his local nick!

49 HG 92

"Well don't forget to tell them I've got no f**king MOT, Tax or Insurance either" said I.

Sadly the lights changed so I could not discuss this matter further but I have often wondered what reception he would have had from the Policeman as his local nick!

I suspect the Police desk officer will have explained the situation -without the F word:-D.

Problem is the 1980s is at least 20years ago as I told my mates wife -who became very impatient with elderly drivers shortly after she had passed her test- (you,ve heard the insults -ol' git, flat cap old f*** etc) think about your father being on the receiving end of that lack of consideration.

paulob1

tis what life can do to you if you are not careful, make you an old grumpy git....I think we have a few on here...:red:

Yep I know you're talking about me:nut: but at least I neither use or believe the "just for men" adverts :rolleyes::-D

Steve

A bit off topic but I think 'old git' would have been that way all his adult life. These types are ones who just love to 'interfere' phoning the council because they don't like your green machine parked in 'their' road, or complaining that your MV lowers the tone. Its not that they are grey haired its just they get a kick out of it being smug. Our local MVT has mostly grey hair and there's not a git among them.

Driving the Dodge, 101, any type of Land Rover, or the Range Rover, 'I like your J**P'. Could explain the dents and blood stains on the front.

I had the opposite Problem, I have a Dodge M37B1 and a fellow asked me about my Land Rover, I corrected him that it was a Dodge M37, he corrected me and said I was wrong as Land rover had built the 101 for many years and that my truck was one, I corrected him and informed him that a 101 was a forward control machine and he could look at my M37's data plates if he wished, he then proceeded to berate me on the matter and he (being an Englishman) new more than me on the matter, I then proceeded to explain what my truck was when he got very rude, I then proceeded to use a bit of Australian courtesy and told him to bugger off to which I was then labelled an Idiot by the astute Englishman....

I can see why you guys may have sent this induvidual over here..... :nut:

Best Regards - MM :D

A bit off topic but I think 'old git' would have been that way all his adult life. These types are ones who just love to 'interfere' phoning the council because they don't like your green machine parked in 'their' road, or complaining that your MV lowers the tone. Its not that they are grey haired its just they get a kick out of it being smug. Our local MVT has mostly grey hair and there's not a git among them.

my neighbour who lives 300 yards away from me has been writing to anyone he can think of complaining about anything he can make up...and I do mean make up, 13 years ago he called the council that my antennas were affecting his TV...I had not even switched them on at that time, technically impossible for it to affect his TV..but lie he did and the council wrote to me asking me to explain his lies...he has been doing that ever since...and the council still listen to him...

my neighbour who lives 300 yards away from me has been writing to anyone he can think of complaining about anything he can make up...and I do mean make up, 13 years ago he called the council that my antennas were affecting his TV...I had not even switched them on at that time, technically impossible for it to affect his TV..but lie he did and the council wrote to me asking me to explain his lies...he has been doing that ever since...and the council still listen to him...

You must be an Angel! Giving the poor git a reason to live.:D

• 4 months later...

Overheard Ardingly show

Member of public, rummaging through a crate full of Petter type silencers, says to stall holder

"Have you got any more of these Honda silencers? mines different"

S H...."I haven't got any Honda silencers"

MOP...."Well it says Honda on the crate!"

SH, absolutely dead pan...."Oh but I have got a load of Sainsburys ones over there, one of them might fit..."

Overheard Ardingly show

Member of public, rummaging through a crate full of Petter type silencers, says to stall holder

"Have you got any more of these Honda silencers? mines different"

S H...."I haven't got any Honda silencers"

MOP...."Well it says Honda on the crate!"

SH, absolutely dead pan...."Oh but I have got a load of Sainsburys ones over there, one of them might fit..."

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Some people are so sharp mate ! I usually only think of things to say when the moment has passed !

q: does this jeep have four whell drive only on the rear wheels or also four wheel drive on the front wheels too??

And since I live in Norway a right hand driven Chevrolet C60L is not that common... But when I was polled over by the road legals for an inspection they did not bother to check if there was any light on the truck. Their consern was that "why are you sitting on that side?" Well the steering wheel is her I told them... Answer: "yeah I see that, but you must sit on the left side when driving it..."

And then he wanted to check it to see if it had any good working brakes... So I climed out, and he in.. And nothing happend... "The gaspedal is not working" he told me.... I think you are allredy testing the brakes I replied.. The gas pedal is in the middel.. Then he just looked at me and climbed out.. "Have a nice trip" and he went away...

Rolf

I had the opposite Problem, I have a Dodge M37B1 and a fellow asked me about my Land Rover, I corrected him that it was a Dodge M37, he corrected me and said I was wrong as Land rover had built the 101 for many years and that my truck was one, I corrected him and informed him that a 101 was a forward control machine and he could look at my M37's data plates if he wished, he then proceeded to berate me on the matter and he (being an Englishman) new more than me on the matter, I then proceeded to explain what my truck was when he got very rude, I then proceeded to use a bit of Australian courtesy and told him to bugger off to which I was then labelled an Idiot by the astute Englishman....

I can see why you guys may have sent this induvidual over here..... :nut:

Best Regards - MM :D

We did`nt send him, he only went out to do some shopping!!!!!! must have got lost.

....And then he wanted to check it to see if it had any good working brakes... So I climed out, and he in.. And nothing happend... "The gaspedal is not working" he told me.... I think you are allredy testing the brakes I replied.. The gas pedal is in the middel.. Then he just looked at me and climbed out.. "Have a nice trip" and he went away...Rolf

:police: :wave: :rofl:

Land Rover - Rover 11 Marshall Ambulance......

"So was this an Ambulance?" (4' red crosses on the side)

"Yes, have a read of the information board, its all on there"

"Is it ex-military?" (ffs!)

"Yes, read the information board!"

"How old is it?"

"Excuse me, I have to speak to this guy over here, READ THE BOARD!"

Grrr! :mad:

Alec.

On a recent school visit.

In the diamond t:-

Pupil:- "What does that do"

Me:- "It's a window winder"

Pupil:- "What does that do"

Pupil:- "Can i drive that?" one of the half tracks

Me:- "No, not today"

Pupil:- "My Dad lets me drive his Porcshe" - radio controlled i suspect

Pupil:- "Is that a real gun"

Me:- "Yes, but it's been deactivated"

Pupil:- "Could i still shoot the headmaster with it?"

Ken

Ran into a French guy at a petrol station in Normandy. He had a CJ3B Jeep on a trailer, painted olive drab and with the star on the bonnet. He passed around a brochure about wine that was produced on his dad's farm "Jeeper".

The guy claimed that it was a true WW2 Jeep and that it had been given to his father by the French Government after the war since the father had been wounded during the war.

We pointed out that the Jeep he had was built in the 1950's and not 1942-45 and explained why by showing him photo's of the "real thing"

The guy got very, very upset and started screaming at us and finally drove off....

heheheh,

Goran N

The wine making business is till in action. They apparently produce some fine, award winning, champagne. Not bad.

The story of the WW2 Jeep giving it its name has been toned down somewhat, though (Google translate of the French text):

"The history of the*House*Jeep,*even if*we find*traces*of the workers*in the archives ofwine*Damery, dated*1743,*actually began*in 1944.

At this time, back from*World War II,*Armand*Goutorbe, son of*Victor*Goutorbe, decided to develop and*market its*Champagne.*Handicapped by*a*bad injury*which*had posed serious problems*to*walk the*vines, he could*buy*through the*government of the day,*a Jeep.

This*Jeep*has always*cherished*it*became*over time,*a key element*for the future, sincein order*to differentiate themselves*from*the many*Goutorbe*Region, also*wine,*named Armand*Goutorbe*Champagne*JEEP*brand.

This*memorable*day*was*forever marked*by the creation*of a*poster by*Capiello,*great painter and*poster artist*who immortalized*the moment*the Jeep brand*..."

One cannot help but wonder how they get away with using the "JEEP" name. Chrysler who owns the copyright usually hunts down and clobber people that use it.

Goran N

Not vehicle related, but I think it belongs here in this excellent thread....

In the early 1980's myself and a couple of other bold aviators bought the old W.W.II Dunkeswell Airfield near Honiton in Devon.

We were used to the usual complaints of noise of the weekend fliers, and would do our best to inform the pilots not to fly over the village etc. but there was an old gentleman of German extraction who lived a short distance away who constantly complained. At the time the original owner of the airfield still visited us, and on answering the phone and finding it to be said Herman complaining again said.."Look, if you bunch of b**t**ds had'nt started the b***dy war this airfield would'nt be here, and you'd have f*** all to moan about!"

I don't think he complained again!

There was also an old chap who complaine to the local council about the noise of aircraft, especialy now they've (the airfield owners) got a jet based there!

I think he gave up when it was pointed out to him that should he bother to look up the tail pipe of said 'noisey' jet, he would notice the lack of an engine!!, (the aircraft was our temporary gate guardian D.H. Vampire T.11)

Jeff

p.s. my j**p is constantly mistaken for a Champ by dear old chaps who state with great authority that they drove them in the army so they should know what they're talking about!

• 1 month later...

Our local paper were doing an article about the bombing of Cheltenham during the war & I read that some old lady had told the reporter "That she had heard the bomb doors opening on one of the German planes, which then dropped a bomb near her house", didn't the Germans oil their bombers during the war?:rolleyes: