What is the daftest thing anyone has asked you...

antarmike

My Dad also has a 1953 ex London Transport Guy Special bus, painted in Tillingbourne Valley maroon (they ran it for a while after LT). Everybody still tells him it should be green, and they were never maroon. Its now spent more of its life being maroon than it did being green, my Dad having owned it for 35+ years. He also painted it LT red just to piss of the know-it-alls when he first had it.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Dad also has a 1953 ex London Transport Guy Special bus, painted in Tillingbourne Valley maroon (they ran it for a while after LT). Everybody still tells him it should be green, and they were never maroon. Its now spent more of its life being maroon than it did being green, my Dad having owned it for 35+ years. He also painted it LT red just to piss of the know-it-alls when he first had it.

was that GS67? saw a photo of it in LT red, very nice!!! My dads was GS36, now down south

Mark

Thats the one. GS36 rings a bell. I'm sure we did some work on it at one time.

Long after GS67 was painted maroon, visitors to our house would ask why we had a red bus bonnet in our garden (trying to stay on topic.....). Same reason our front door was bus red with bus transfers as a door number i 'spose...

I nearly ran over a bus-spotter at Duxford. I'd gone there for a day's volunteering in the MV wing not realising it was the Businfest day. Driving from the main gate to the LWH was probably as dangerous as my last car ride in Athens. This idiot was gawping at a Bristol Lodekker of some sort. It was green and had place names on it. He might have been killed in a 5mph colision. It's almost a shame he wasn't. It started raining later on and I found myself in a Chieftain which was going off to be a gate guardian somewhere - so we were stripping anything usuable out of it. I was "sitting" where the driver's seat had been, in a pool of rain water and mucl, not pleasant, trying to unloosen various bits and my head was sticking out of the driver's hatch a bit and if I had a quid for everytime one of these bus spotters asked if I was having trouble getting it started, or whether the gun worked or what number it was, Id have enough money to buy at least two pints of beer at Beltring.

When the company I was working for was taken over, the last day of srvice under the old name, I was pulling off from a stop when an **** jumped stiraight in front of the bus with a camera. The rule is if you have to breack hard to miss something and that may injure a pasenger on the vehicle, HIT IT! I missed him some how and lost about ten years of life. A police officer saw it and came charging over grabbing ***** by the collar and pulling him back onto the pavement. When asked why the F**** H*** he tried suicide by bus, he came out with some long explanation that he wanted a photo of that bus leaving the stop as it was the last one on that duty.................. Some people are to stupid to be allowed to breed.

I nearly ran over a bus-spotter at Duxford. I'd gone there for a day's volunteering in the MV wing not realising it was the Businfest day. Driving from the main gate to the LWH was probably as dangerous as my last car ride in Athens. This idiot was gawping at a Bristol Lodekker of some sort. It was green and had place names on it. He might have been killed in a 5mph colision. It's almost a shame he wasn't. It started raining later on and I found myself in a Chieftain which was going off to be a gate guardian somewhere - so we were stripping anything usuable out of it. I was "sitting" where the driver's seat had been, in a pool of rain water and mucl, not pleasant, trying to unloosen various bits and my head was sticking out of the driver's hatch a bit and if I had a quid for everytime one of these bus spotters asked if I was having trouble getting it started, or whether the gun worked or what number it was, Id have enough money to buy at least two pints of beer at Beltring.
Was that the Chieftain that had Berlin camo where the AVRE Centurian is now ? Wondered what had happened to her !

I always smile look 'em straight in the eye, smile and say the one thing they really don't want to hear....

"I don't care"

Then ask them where theirs is and say "lets 'ave a look at that then"

That shifts the buggers he he!

:cool2: most of them don't have a vehicle, I find....

Used to do shows in the summer as part of the RAF careers thing, so we set up the Landrover and tent with all of the radios laid out nice and the setup all camouflaged properly etc. You would then get asked the following:-

Hey mister, how many people have you killed.

Hey mister, how many times have you been shot.

Hey mister, where are the guns.

The British public....bless them!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Some times the coin can be flipped by the public especially me...(Evil SMirk):D:D:nut:

When owners are trying to fool the public:

Asked by me: "Why is your M5 in US markings?:angel:"

If the owner is upfront we end up having a nice conversation, if the owner blaggs me normally the conversation ends up with me replying loudly "No, but if I did own one it will be in the correct markings"

Upon hearing a US marked M201 jeep owner claim his jeep was used by the Americans during WW2 to another MOP, I asked quicky "I thought your M201 was a post war french made jeep, so shouldn't it realy be in French Post war Markings?:angel:"

The other MOP waited for the answer as I continued on my way.

Sorry if you were one of these owners I was lied to by several owners when I was younger and greener in these matters ;)

Jon :nut:

Edited by Panzer nut

A friend of mine owned a Sabre and one night whilst we were there he was being shown a rifle his cousin had brought round, some local person had spied the gun through the window and called 999.

The armed response turned up and recconoitered the grounds and upon seeing the Sabre pronounced "FK me! I think we need bigger guns!!!!!"

Jon

Some times the coin can be flipped by the public especially me...(Evil SMirk):D:D:nut:

When owners are trying to fool the public:

Asked by me: "Why is your M5 in US markings?:angel:"

If the owner is upfront we end up having a nice conversation, if the owner blaggs me normally the conversation ends up with me replying loudly "No, but if I did own one it will be in the correct markings"

Jon :nut:

Contrary to popular opinion, at least one US unit used IHC halftracks in action in Europe. There was a thread on G503 with pictures, I've had a quick search but can't find it.

Nobody knows it all......

Contrary to popular opinion, at least one US unit used IHC halftracks in action in Europe. There was a thread on G503 with pictures, I've had a quick search but can't find it.

Nobody knows it all......

Every thing I have read says that the M5 was only used by US forces for training in the states and none were used in action, that that whole production line was for lend lease, so I would be interersted in reading this article or any other that is around just to put me right.

Ta

Jon