What is the daftest thing anyone has asked you...

antarmike

I am not even going to start on the Gipsy/Landrover subject....but, not long after I moved from Deeside to here (about 50 miles) I was at a show with a Gipsy and had a very enthusiastic bloke come up and tell me about someone who had a load of Gipsys on Deeside... go figure.

As to wild geese I have lost count of the Gipsys I have been told about that turned out to be Champs.

We did get a comment last night at the pub. (see pictures in my blog) A kid who had seen us in the car park told Stuart how much he liked his Landrover.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last week a chap walked past my Explorer, looked at the newly applied F.V.R.D.E. markings on the wing and said " it'll be alright when you get the proper R.E.M.E. markings on it!:argh: I have a sneaky feeling he may well have visited this forum though!

Today, the inevitable happened again when a chap came up and spoke the immortal words "I know the bloke who keeps one of these beside the road at Horsebridge":pfrt:

Damned RIOs

last week a chap walked past my Explorer, looked at the newly applied F.V.R.D.E. markings on the wing and said " it'll be alright when you get the proper R.E.M.E. markings on it!:argh:

That was me !

Stalwarts can generate some lulu's from the masses - at a works vehicle event the other year we got:

Trog 1: "Whats the tank"

Me: "It's not a tank, it's a truck"

Trog 1: "Must be a tank - it's green and got army markings"

ME: "can you see any tracks? Can you see a turret? Can you see a friggin great gun ?? No - good - thats because it isn't a tank. It's an amphibious truck"

Trog 1: "Still a nice tank though"

US visitor (bear in mind I was working for a Global US car manufacturer at the time): "What the hell is that"

Me: it's an Alvis Stalwart - a HMLC"

US visitor "Hey - good old US of A know-how here in the UK"

Me: "What do you mean "American" - this is a British vehicle"

US Visitor: "No it's American the steering wheel is on the wrong side for one of yours and besides something as advanced as this is way beyond any Brit abilities"

Me: (after fetching set of steps) "Note the position of the Steering wheel - it's in the centre of the cab, not left and not right. Note also the large red triangular badge that says "ALVIS" on the swim board. Last I heard there has never been a US manufacturer called Alvis."

US visitor: "Well I'm sure it's American - I'm going to make a couple of phone calls and I'll be back.

Never saw him again!! :)

If nothing else - they make you laugh :):):)

My Command Car had all 4 wheelbrakes binding and stopped to cal the AA.

In the Netherlands was a TV add showing these guys know about cars...anyway he set about analysing the problem.

AA "where is the brake booster?"

Me "it doesn't have one". :-(

AA "how about the handbrake?".

Me "It's around the driveshaft, doesn't do much". :-(

He admitted not knowing very much about these kind of vehicles.

:cry: Sigh....its not as if WW2 Dodges have complicated brakesystems.....

• 2 weeks later...

Apert from the obvious Jeep referrals to the Landy, the most common question I get is:

'Is it a Hummer?'

or if I'm parked up at work jo bloggs comes in to the shop/office

Q 'Wow, who's Hummer is that outside?'

I look at length through the window

A 'I don't know but the Landrover's mine'

Q 'What is it then?'

A 'It's still a Landrover':n00b:

At Duxford MV show in 1988 with my Explorer

Bod: Have you had any problems with the chains in the walking beams?

Me: Actually no, they use a train of gears.

Bod: No they are chains, I used to be in ReeeMeee and changed dozens, they are exactly the same as the diesel one (Pioneer). If you remove the oil filler I will show you.

We find a spanner, remove the filler plug and look inside.

Bod: Oh, you have converted yours to gears, was it difficult?

There was a lovely story on a precursor to this thread a couple of years ago. I only read the story, which makes this hearsay and not eligible in court so please do not quote me.

A member and his 12-year-old son parked their Saracen (Ferret?) and stood while civvies stood and admired.

Civvy approaches Dad. "What's this then?"

"A Saracen."

"Oh. That Browning three oh on the hatch ring mount is wrong: it ought to be a Bren."

Cue nipper clearly stage-muttering, "Not bad for somebody who didn't even know what sort of vehicle it was two minutes ago."

Oh how I larfed.

more of an irritating thing than daft..

pointing out to someone they were flying their union flag upside down only to be given the reply "how can I be there's no top or bottom on a union jack"

Umm dear friend! There is, longest part of upright bar to top. At least you know when its a flag and whwn its a Jack :-D

Umm dear friend! There is, longest part of upright bar to top. At least you know when its a flag and whwn its a Jack :-D

that was kinda the point I was making to them, :coffee:

talk about knowing hot to present an accurate living history portrayal!

i have even been lectured to by someone telling me all about the Jack Flag, when corrected, he said I was wrong as he had read all about it on the internet .....(he was American:coffee:)

more of an irritating thing than daft..

pointing out to someone they were flying their union flag upside down only to be given the reply "how can it be there's no top or bottom on a union jack"

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was only a Union Jack if it was on a Navy ship, and a Union Flag otherwise? Anyone confirm this?

However, I do sympathise with you as I have tried to correct people before on which way up the flag should go, only to be met with blank stares.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was only a Union Jack if it was on a Navy ship, and a Union Flag otherwise? Anyone confirm this?

You are correct,the flag flown from the bow of the ship on the jack but usually a small flag,Both terms are accepted but union jack is generally accepted to be less confusing than union flag.The navy of course use the Ensigns as there main Flag.

Is it a sign the vessel is in distress if flown upside down ?

Isn't this the standard position for a Panamanian crew? there is an African country , land locked that was in the news because it had 'Lost' it's Merchant fleet, all 2 of them. And one guy did steal 2 BP tankers a few years ago (Must admit I thought that had real style)