What is the daftest thing anyone has asked you...

antarmike

know what you mean with everything being a 'Jeep' but I had a slightly differant variation once.

.for many years I owned a 1955 series one Landrover heavily modified for AWDC trials.....I'd done a really tidy job of cutting the front wings off so that only the flat 'tops' were left meaning that especially from the front, she did far more resemble a 'Jeep' than a Landrover....

.despite her having a serious suspension lift and competition springs and awesome mud tyres on wide rims and a full rolll cage....and ignoring the fact that she was plastered in mud.... I was asked in all innocence "does it have four wheel drive mate?".........

........but the best one was probably a 'knowledgable' fella telling me that it was an early Austin Scamp and that the army had them designed especially for them....

......I muttered summat like "no mate its a series one landrover" but he wasn't having it .....and replied

"no they didn't make many of them and people often mistake them for Landrovers but I can assure you its a Scamp"

.......now... I've heard of a Champ but a Scamp?

My dad would have said "leave it son...you can't educate pork"

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On looking around what was soon to become my Diamond T, the chap selling it told us a super tip to save money, "you can take the front prop off like we do on Dodges stops all that drag in the transmission. |Uses less diesel."

I thought well it's still turning all the front axle and any way it's a 980!!

He wanted to finish off the restoration, well that gave me the impetus to get it bought quickly,

David.

IMG_0163.jpg

Whilst watching an old Bond film yesterday ,i mentioned to the other half they used mini mokes in a few of the bond movies, she said yes they had a lot of oriental actors in the old films!!! didnt have the heart to tell her it was a thing , not an oriental actor..:nut:

Way too funny..:rofl:

I had a similar one was whilst watching the first Jurassic Park movie one Xmas with my then very elderly old Nan and all the family........I turned to Nan during the adverts and said

" its quite a good idea for a film really Nan because if a scientist really wanted to, he could actually after an awful lot of work actually recreate a dinosaur from DNA"

Nan turned to look at me with a paternal look that suggested 'Oh you poor silly boy' and said

"Well if dinosaurs had ever really existed I suppose they could ...."

priceless. :cheesy:

Ref back on page 19 and the comment about the gas BBQ. My neighbours were very proud to have identified (this was only a couple of years ago) the remains of a WW2 plane shot down in the woods, possibly parts of the wing of a german fighter! Walked up with them to have a look, sadly just a scrap sheep trough. Strangely it did look, to the untutored eye I must admit, just like an old sheep trough!

Ref back on page 19 and the comment about the gas BBQ. My neighbours were very proud to have identified (this was only a couple of years ago) the remains of a WW2 plane shot down in the woods, possibly parts of the wing of a german fighter! Walked up with them to have a look, sadly just a scrap sheep trough. Strangely it did look, to the untutored eye I must admit, just like an old sheep trough!

:D soooooo true!

Jeff

down here in the Forest of Dean there were many many US camps during the war.....and ..if I had a quid for the number of times I have heard something along the lines of

"I know where there's the remains... of a jeep/tank/ammo/guns / airplane etc etc etc".....I'd be proper rich..

....I'd also have saved myself some kinda miles and some kinda hours of vainly stomping through forests/brambles/nettles from the age of about 10 pretty much up to date......only to find said 'Jeep'/ Tank etc etc was the remains of a Morris 1000 or a very early Ford Transit or something similar.........

I remember one particular occasion going on an 'expedition' at about 13 years old with a lad I'd met who swore he'd found an old Jeep in a disused railway cutting.....

....after a mighty long walk during the summer holidays I found myself looking at the very mangled remains of an Austin Somerset with no body left at all except for a couple of dead giveaways....the very rusty bonnet and radiator grill complete with the Austin badge still in place......the steering column still in place on the right hand side.....and the fact that it very visibly had only 2 wheel drive .....

" well I thought it looked a bit like a Jeep" said my mate......

tsk!

.............. the search continues though! hahahahah!

Done the same, but never give up the searchmate, you just never know!!;)

Jeff

I can't help myself Jeff!..

..whenever I go past an out of the way junkyard that looks a bit overgrown...or the sight of an obviously WW2 type building hidden away somewhere off the beaten track....a barn thats obviously not seen any attention nor use...or the merest mention ever so slightly overheard in a pub of something along the lines of..

"of course the Yanks abandoned a load of gear down there after the war".........etc etc!

one day mate I'm gonna find me something!!!....:cool2:.(probably another rusty Morris 1000)

I think we all do that to some extent:-D

I had to stop myself a couple of years back from driving all the way to North Wales, get the little train that goes up some mountain, trek across some open country to look for a 'jeep' that an old chap I worked with swore he'd seen sticking out of an overgrown shed in a small valley while he was on his holiday. Knowing my luck it probably was a jeep and was one of Eisehowers personal hacks in pristeen condition and the farmer was prepared to sell it for £20..

Jeff

p.s. I'm sure they are still out there though, so, like I said, don't stop looking..

At the AFV Society show in Dunchurch this last bank holiday, somebody (with too much time on hands) had camoed up a lawnmower and parked it in a line of vehicles.

'Is that a real army lawnmower?'

'Yes mate used by the SAS to cut the grass down and make it easier for snipers to move round'

Cue lots of oohs and aahs.

Came from Withams - apparently it is absolutely definitely the last one that will ever be released.....

• 3 years later...

Digging up an old thread :)

About the Saracen:

Is it real?

Did you make it yourself?

Does it float?

Does it have a turret?

When climbing on top to have his photo taken:

MoP: Is there anything I need to be careful of?

Me: Yeah, falling off.

MoP: I didn't want to break anything

Me: It's made of armour mate...

Cheers,

Terry

Pulling up in the Saracen one day, I turn the engine off and a guy puts his head through the hatch and informs me that the Merlin engine sounds nice. I informed him that it was a B80 Rolls Royce. He informed me that his uncle had one, and it has a Merlin in it. I attempted to explain to him, that at no point, when I was putting the engine in the hull, did it every morph into a Merlin engine. This guy had his family as back up, so he wasnt backing down. He had a point to prove in front of his family. His pride was on the line. After all, I only put the vehicle together, and his uncle aledgedly had one. I asked him who his uncle was, as I was likely to know of him, given the small Saracen community in Australia. He then walked away. A short time later when I started it up to move off, he ran beside the vehicle yelling at me again, that it was definitely a Merlin. I just couldnt believe this guys persistence.

Why cant people just say, oh, I like your vehicle, what is it. No..... they have to make out that they are the expert, fought 9 wars in one, has an uncle who actually designed it, knows of 5 that the americans buried in a hill down south somewhere, and his uncles is heaps better than mine.

I also like the guy who critisies your choice of colour, type of tread you use, arangment of ammo tins and accessories. My response..... I cant see yours around here anywhere.

I find the most sensible questions & observations come from women, people in wheelchairs, older children & teenagers. They will usually know nothing about the vehicle but usually seem to be very receptive. They appreciate someone explaining what it is all about. What impresses them the most is to see pictures of my Pig in action being stoned & petrol bombed, this gives them a tangible link to the past.

The least sensible observations come from young adult males particularly in a group.

With veterans the response is variable. Again there is more sense talked by an individual than sometimes from a group. The comment that puts me on edge when I display the Pig is "Oh yes I know all about these mate, the old Sarrycan"

"Oh yes I know all about these mate, the old Sarrycan"

I know that the Saracen was often referred to as a Can or Sarrycan, but it really rubs me up the wrong way when people call my baby that, for some reason. I bloody hate it. :P