Military Fodens

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I will get them checked then, as on start up there is more smoke than a Van Halen concert!!!

Light blue on tick over, which turns to brown if the throttle is beeped. it lasts for a good ten minuets and then clears. Then engine runs sweat as a nut when warm, and a nameless driver had her doing a good 65mph on the way back, so don't think bores are worn.

Simon, have you looked to see if your 305 has a Thermostart, I don't remember seeing one on mine but will have another look later?

As you have found out, the Fodens are not slow:shake:

Simon, have you looked to see if your 305 has a Thermostart, I don't remember seeing one on mine but will have another look later?

As you have found out, the Fodens are not slow:shake:

I once caught one up on the M6 travelling north around the M5 junction, it had civilian plate and was towing a weeks 10 ton tilt bed trailer he never dropped below 70mph all the way to J25 (WARRINGTON), where I turned off. I was in an astra van that had a reasonably acurate spedo. When I say he never dropped below at some points I was clocking him at 75-77 presumably when he was flat out. Not so sure but I think the tyres are only rated to 50mph !!!

John.

I was clocking him at 75-77 presumably when he was flat out. Not so sure but I think the tyres are only rated to 50mph !!!

John.

John,

Seem to recollect the Foden EKA recovery would go faster than the tyre rating, which I think was a max of 50 mph, but average speed of 40, anything over that would result in the tread blocks of the Michelin tyres actually "melting". Not something a private owner would wish to do as it would not take long to wear them out.

I wish the tread on my tyres looked like that!

@16 Ton (empty), 55mph is fast enough, I dread to think what mpg I would get with my foot hard down. :shake:

They didn't muck about with the fuel tank either and just bolted a 90 gallon barrel under the bed!

At over £400 to fill up, I am starting my own "Foden Fund", Please give generously!

Talking of the fuel tank, just in front of it is a steel rack, anyone got any ideas?

I don't think it is for Jerry cans as there are plenty of holders elsewhere, my guess would be extra batteries or wooden blocks, for under the crane legs.

I don't know about the thermostat Mike, I will check as time allows.

I wish the tread on my tyres looked like that!

@16 Ton (empty), 55mph is fast enough, I dread to think what mpg I would get with my foot hard down. :shake:

They didn't muck about with the fuel tank either and just bolted a 90 gallon barrel under the bed!

At over £400 to fill up, I am starting my own "Foden Fund", Please give generously!

Talking of the fuel tank, just in front of it is a steel rack, anyone got any ideas?

I don't think it is for Jerry cans as there are plenty of holders elsewhere, my guess would be extra batteries or wooden blocks, for under the crane legs.

I don't know about the thermostat Mike, I will check as time allows.

Simon I think you should be reading that as thermo START not stat ?

I think the rack is for extra batteries when the crew cabin is fitted on the forward loadbed.

That fuel tank is a baby compared to the twin 100 gal tanks on my Ward La France (£900 a fill up !!!)

Andy must have put some miles on the tyes as they were pretty good when I sold it.

John.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I think I've got the fuel injection sorted on the Foden!!! I took the pump to R&N diesel in Wednesbury, They said they found a seal in 2 pieces and the one of the bleed screws was not sealing, they rebuilt the pump, the lift pump and checked the injectors for £120.

Hey, I think I've got the fuel injection sorted on the Foden!!! I took the pump to R&N diesel in Wednesbury, They said they found a seal in 2 pieces and the one of the bleed screws was not sealing, they rebuilt the pump, the lift pump and checked the injectors for £120.

Well done Simon, I take it your 305 didn't have a Thermostart? If not, I probably have the same problem. Did the injectors come out easily or did you need a slide hammer?

Glad to hear it, let us know how it goes after standing for a few days once the pump is refitted.

John.

I am pretty confident this time, as the pump when the bleed is cracked has a lot more pressure in it than before. Also the primary fuel filter by the tank was chocher! Full of treacle type gunk, all air and fuel filters have been changed, there was a roll of paint in the pick up pipe the size of a oak leaf.

Number 3 injector pipe, which had the duff seal was full of rubbish and the injectors had thick copper washers under them, which Rolls Eagle Diesel Engineers notes expressly Say's should not be done as the injector seats are copper. This would properly result in the injector tip being too far up and not achieving the correct spay pattern. All in all, I am surprised that it ran as well as it did, if at all!

The injectors came out a breeze ( thanks John) and where all found to be spaying well, so maybe that chap checked them after all .

No thermo-start is fitted, the cold start is excess fuel button and start pilot pump. The governor is not like any described in any of the Eagle Manuals I have, it also does not have the boost control valve fitted to turbo 305's to cut over-fueling smoke emissions.

I believe that it is original as the whole throttle linkage and governor works in a opposite direction to the one that the book Say's is normally fitted with boost control.

The smoke is a lot better and I think when I have changed the thinned out, high level sump oil and given it a good run can only get better, Greenpeace and VOSA will be happy about that!

Throttle response is much improved and it starts on the button with no cranking and no missing. I look forward to giving it a run.

By the way John, thanks again for the help and bits you have given me for this project, you and your missus made me and Wendy feel most welcome when we saw you both.

Little did I know that old Land rover Disco of mine was going to blow up on the M6 on the way back, Thank god for RAC!

Took me to Nesscliffe and back 1300 miles and the oil level has not changed, the smoke has gone and it's still starting on the button, so i think it's job done. If funds allow, I am going to do Overlord, 300 mile round trip.

Wish me luck.

Good luck with it will you be at W&P?

Al

Took me to Nesscliffe and back 1300 miles and the oil level has not changed, the smoke has gone and it's still starting on the button, so i think it's job done. If funds allow, I am going to do Overlord, 300 mile round trip.

Wish me luck.

Nice to hear it is eventually sorted,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got any idea what pressure should be in the Michelin XL 16.00x20 on a Foden 6x6 limber? Also I been told that the tyres should be rotated front to back so they don't wear uneven, I have a very noticeable wobble on the steering, bang on 40 mile a hour, just above or just below, it goes, thing is that when we go to shows the MK and MJ that I travel with drive at 40. If this was a slight wobble I would properly put up with it, but the cab shakes worst than belly-dancers navel!

Going to War and peace, will be in the area behind the arena as usual, now I have sorted the living boxes on the truck, I will be able to crane them off so I can take the truck around the arena, and down to Tesco's!

Has anyone got any idea what pressure should be in the Michelin XL 16.00x20 on a Foden 6x6 limber? Also I been told that the tyres should be rotated front to back so they don't wear uneven, I have a very noticeable wobble on the steering, bang on 40 mile a hour, just above or just below, it goes, thing is that when we go to shows the MK and MJ that I travel with drive at 40. If this was a slight wobble I would properly put up with it, but the cab shakes worst than belly-dancers navel!

Going to War and peace, will be in the area behind the arena as usual, now I have sorted the living boxes on the truck, I will be able to crane them off so I can take the truck around the arena, and down to Tesco's!

Suggest that you travel at 65mph and get the kettle on for the bedford boys !!!

• 1 month later...

Spotted this 8x8 a few years ago loading royal artillery display equipment at Detling

The B/W photo was taken back in the 1970s at one of the Aldershot military shows when the med mobility Fodens were new this one has the extended cab for driver training

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

hmvf3.jpg

Spotted this 8x8 a few years ago loading royal artillery display equipment at Detling

The B/W photo was taken back in the 1970s at one of the Aldershot military shows when the med mobility Fodens were new this one has the extended cab for driver training

Les, both the IMM Fodens and Scammell/DAF MM DROPS are 8x6 - look at the second steer axle and there is no reduction hub. The IMM contract went to Foden as Scammell submitted a 6x6 for trials which was not considered to be as good.