Military Fodens

Nice job i guess the winch is the same two speed as fitted to the Crusader fantastic bit of kit with plenty of grunt

winch is the same make as to the crusader but a bit bigger as it is rated at 25 ton it was a nice job pity i cant do this everyday

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi thanks for the photo i always thought it was the same gear and winch as the crusader.

I know different now.

I do know that winch its a Mora Mas 30 i have a bit of information on them regards part nos or setting up the (control block/choke valves depending which is fitted ) for the two speed side of it if you ever need it.

Hi thanks for the photo i always thought it was the same gear and winch as the crusader.

I know different now.

I do know that winch its a Mora Mas 30 i have a bit of information on them regards part nos or setting up the (control block/choke valves depending which is fitted ) for the two speed side of it if you ever need it.

thanks for the info will keep you in mind if we have any problems cheers ben

• 1 month later...
Guest bigvinnie
thats it, your fault gritineye! :-D

we had one reccymech, driving down the motorway, may be just above the limit of the tyres, but anyway cut a long story short he crashed!

ripped off the front axle! he swore it wasnt his fault, the truck lurched then swerved and crashed! :shocked:

investigations carried out, it was found that after repair the sring u bolts were not tightened/fatigued and they led to the axle coming loose on one side with the devestating results! :nono:

i've not got the photos in my collection, but i will ask me old reccymech pals if they have, someone has as i see them!

Whilst reading through the thread this struck very close to home! You by chance weren,t posted round Paderborn 2000ish. I was driving a Foden Eka that did exactly what you said,

smash one.jpg

Picked the vehicle up from Monchengladbach headed back towards Sennelager , next thing heard a bang and was skidding all over the road! Ended up in a ditch and ended up in intensive care. All courtesy of ABRO.

Never put me off driving and operating the big beasts!

smash 2.jpg

smash 3.jpg

Whilst reading through the thread this struck very close to home! You by chance weren,t posted round Paderborn 2000ish. I was driving a Foden Eka that did exactly what you said,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61068[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61069[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61067[/ATTACH]

Picked the vehicle up from Monchengladbach headed back towards Sennelager , next thing heard a bang and was skidding all over the road! Ended up in a ditch and ended up in intensive care. All courtesy of ABRO.

Never put me off driving and operating the big beasts!

Whoa! That must have hurt !!

Guest bigvinnie
Whoa! That must have hurt !!

I was trapped in the cab for 7 hours whilst the german emergancy services cut me out, i was trapped in the footwell with the truck pinning me into the ditch. I woke up 2 days later strapped to the bed in the krankenhaus as i was trying to punch the docs? Never broke a bone but caused some internal problems resulting in my heart stopping twice! 12 years later my back still causes me problems but thats also caused by the job!

ABRO will be getting a nice letter in 9 years time when i finally leave, Fodens are fantastic trucks but only if reapired and used corectly!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69736[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69737[/ATTACH] Thought Id share a couple pics of my Foden recovery Military Reg no 35 KE 26, fully kitted except for snatch blocks and a couple bits of the wooden planks, now lives on A69 Northumberland.[/

Hello Simon, smart truck - any more photos of it? Regards, nick

Nick, I had the Militant for around 8 - 10 years or so, but she was sold about 3-4 months ago and now lives near Hastings area, the guy who bought it drove it back home from Northumberland to Hastings 12 hrs :wow: not bad I think with the old girl. I'v been following your progress with yours very good keep goin you'l get to the end eventually.

There was no major reason that the Foden needed to be on the back of the Militant other than a bored Sunday and spare time to play.

Nick, I had the Militant for around 8 - 10 years or so, but she was sold about 3-4 months ago and now lives near Hastings area, the guy who bought it drove it back home from Northumberland to Hastings 12 hrs :wow: not bad I think with the old girl. I'v been following your progress with yours very good keep goin you'l get to the end eventually.

There was no major reason that the Foden needed to be on the back of the Militant other than a bored Sunday and spare time to play.

Thanks Simon, will post some more progress today. Do you know what colour (BS code etc) yours was? Looks good & I am tempted to replicate on mine when I finally finish the red oxide. It took me 6.5 hours to drive mine back from Horsham to Derby. Luckily I had read on here somewhere about taking ear defenders.

Another Foden pic I found

image.jpg

Yep, another "epic" journey. 359miles. Only one slight scare on the journey when just close to Catterick Garrison a look in the mirror revealed smoke. Lots of smoke!! Lots of smoke from the Militant!!! Pulled over to find the centre axle brakes were more than slightly warm. Sat for a short while, then started off again slowly, picked up speed gradually, and it hasn't done it again. Phew!

The only other drama was the final leg down the A21 running on the trucks headlights, which might as well have been a couple of candles, especially after a long day at the wheel. They are still the first job on the list to replace with halogens and adjust!

Otherwise no regrets with the purchase, as it's a beast of a truck, and really quite practical. I reckon it turned in about 7 mpg on the journey, mostly trying to run at a steady 42mph. Slower up the hills, but managed 47mph downhill before self preservation took over.

Jules