Military Fodens

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen at Overlord show today ! Lovely big beasts ! DSC034332.jpg

Have to agree with you there Andy, but where are they all?? I see a couple of Scammell 8x6 DROPS most days of the week, but have never seen the Foden IMM, despite there supposedly being 400 of them. Are they all abroad on active service?

I once saw the Driver of a Foden Drops trying to push himself out of trouble ( muddy wet grass) with the Big hook, Digging the rear of his Body in the ground and pushing forward, it didn't really work!! but he tried....

Hi Mike,

Back in '91 when I did the REME course on Leyland DROPS repairs and overhauls, we were shown a training film and it was a recognised procedure to use the flatrack as a method of moving the vehicle forward if stuck, it was shown in really muddy terrain and it was very effective.

The one I saw trying it got pulled out by a Foden AKA after half an hour of trying and moving forward 2 feet....

Perhaps he forget to let the handbrake off :). There maybe a technique to it, from memory you pushed yourself along, not driving it. If it can be done in mud, then grass should have been easier. Still it is good entertainment :-D

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A couple of years ago whilst attending a function in the Folkestone harbour area i noticed a large number of old commercials parked in the truck park. On making enquiries i was told they were bound for Africa and had been diverted here for collection following a dispute at Southamton, amongst them were a few military including this Foden 10 ton bulk fuel carrier

hmvf1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...