Back on the OT-90 again..

RSSRobot

Vehicle width, whether it is within construction and use regs is down to the Police and VOSA. It is not in the remit of DVLA to decide whether a vehicle is overwidth or otherwise.

DVLA inspection is to verify the vehicle is the one to which documents relate. If you are going for Historic Vehicle taxation class you must have a chassis build sheet, a vehicle record card or a letter from an approved Vehicle club, proving when it was built. DVLA are only trying to tie this proof to a chassis number, etc. It is of no interst to them what the vehicle weighs, it's width or it's axle weight. If you are pulled into a Ministry werighbridge or testing station, then those sort of questuions may be asked. but by then the vehicle is registered, taxed and insured. If they see that it is a locomotive they will apply the 2.75 M max width limit to there decision as to the legality of the vehicle.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looked up the dimensions for a tracked tractor, which we see around here.

An example is an Challenger MT700B (Produced by Caterpillar) which depending on track choice is either 2667mm or 2794mm wide, well in excess of the 2.55 width.

To get around the legal bit, make up a bracket with a small plough blade on it, paint it green, attach when on the road, or certainly keep it available for inspection, and call it an agricultural vehicle.:cool2:

If you are counting on being classed as an agricultural vehicle that needs to be wide because you have a tiny plough on the back I think you are mistaken. You can only get away with a wide agricultural vehicle , I believe if if you are towing an offset Agricultural trailer or a trailed Appliance if "it cannot be reduced in width without undue expense of risk of damage"

I do not believe that puttung a smallplough on the back justifies it being ovderwidth. I think you have to go for a Stonker..

Note your speed becomes legally limited to 20 MPH

Edited by antarmike

Box 13 on the V55/5 asks for the vehicle length. Box 19 asks for the vehicle width.

Tried leaving them blank & was asked to fill them in...... :cry:

ON another note - renewed the insurance 12 days ago, was told certificates would be sent immediately via first clas post - still no sign of them. Or the info the MVT said they were sending. Looks like the good old post office is living up to it's reputation.... Again.... :-( :-(

Have got a an age certificate from Richard via e-mail though stating build date was 1978!! :)

Edited by ArtistsRifles

I do not believe that puttung a smallplough on the back justifies it being ovderwidth. I think you have to go for a Stonker..

Note your speed becomes legally limited to 20 MPH

Your right, a big ploughing rig would certainly be more useful! most people wouldnt look twice up here, but im not to sure it would be useful in his neighbourhood!

Nobody else have one of these?