Eager Beaver's

antarmike

.........Biff = mong = village idiot (for the civi types in here) .:D

Mong seems to have a wide civvy usage. My wife tells me that as a kid in South Africa, over 30 years ago it was a widespread insult used by other kids and its contraction from Mongaloid (then a common term for Down's syndrome) was well known.

Even though I hadn't heard it before its use seems to spread well beyond military usage.....and its civvy use may pre-date its adoption by some military types....

Biff is also widely used by the general public, its meaning includes " Best Friend Forever" ..Brother I'd Fight For,..or to carry out a sexual act, a cigarette or to smoke a ciggy, to bash yourself hard, etc. .and seems very imprecise as to meaning....even down to meaning a toilet, particularly an Elsan,,.it seems it can mean just about anything to anyone so little chance of me working out what it meant....It is suggested, that when used in the sense of an idiot, it alludes to Spina Bifida, so again perhaps not very PC taking the piss out of someone who has a disability through no fault of their own.....

I thought the army's recruiting slogan was "be the best you can" I would have thought that extended to being careful of the language that soldiers use, and the way soldiers respect (or in this case dis-respect) the people who you are suppose to protect....including those with Down's syndrome and Spina Bifida . It is a real pity if the Army has stooped this low for this to be widespread Army Vocabulary....

Anyway back on subject.......

Edited by antarmike

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now trying to tighten/loosen one of the headlights. The stem is seized in the nut but as usual goes round in the headlight. The wiring choc-blok in the headlight does not wish to be removed without the screws shearing off. Joy joy:-( may have to shear the screws off and replace the choc-bloc with a new one after I have sorted out the light.

At last - the broken part of the injector is out.:D

Anyone any ideas of how I can disolve the carbon around the injector seat areas or in the cylinders even. I have injector cleaner in the fuel which should help but the injector seat area worries me. Not sure if Coka-Cola works or will damage the bore etc if/when it gets in the cylinder. Any other ideas welcome.

I have been told 2 things of some use today:-

1) You cannot disolve carbon

2) Scotch Pads(I think that is their name) are very good for scrubbing away carbon. 3 grades available and especially for metal. I had never heard of them before.

Does anyone insure just their EB? I am being told that it has to be fully comp and seems to be a lot of ££. That is the £ from Footman James.

Footman James fully comp @£129 which is a lot compared to the £80 I was paying NFU for Antar and trailer!!

Edited by antarmike

That is what they quoted me providing I have membership to Historic Military Vehicle Trust. I presume they mean Military Vehicle Trust. Membership to that equals the same as the discount Footman James offered.

Oh by the way - does anyone know where the chassis number is on the EB. I have to confirm it is matching the W.D. number. Not seen it yet but the rain is heavy enough to make me leave looking again until tomorrow.

Oh by the way - does anyone know where the chassis number is on the EB. I have to confirm it is matching the W.D. number. Not seen it yet but the rain is heavy enough to make me leave looking again until tomorrow.

Only appears on a brass plate attached to rear of seat box as far as I know (as serial number not chassis number).

verification012.jpg

Edited by antarmike

Footman James fully comp @£129 which is a lot compared to the £80 I was paying NFU for Antar and trailer!!

I guess the NFU classed the Antar as a tractor then? They currently are still the best all-round for the Land-Rover. Waiting for a quote from them for the EB.

Received the info from the Military which is good but they say that instead of selling the vehicle, they canabilised it and then sold it to a scrap yard. I believe this happened because civvies kept trying to kill themselves on them. I hope this does not give me problems when registering it with DVLA.

Any experience of this anyone?

• 6 months later...
Hi all,

Couple of pictures of my EB fitted with arctic cab

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55478[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55479[/ATTACH]

Hi Simon, that is a useful looking vehicle. I have not seen them with the artic cab before. Do you know how many were made with cabs ? Have you had it long ?

Regards David.

Starting at 14:40 there is footage of Falklands Eager Beavers. there is a clear shot of the registration of one of them but I cant slow it down to get it.

R

That is great footage! I see what you mean, every time I paused it, the reg was just a blur - I am hoping to get someone to look at it frame by frame to read the reg.

Hi Simon, that is a useful looking vehicle. I have not seen them with the artic cab before. Do you know how many were made with cabs ? Have you had it long ?

Regards David.

Thank you, I have been told that only 6 were made - it sounds quite unlikely, but I haven't seen another.

I have also read elsewhere that a handful were made for the MOD operating in Norway? again - I don't know how true that is.

Its seems to be an oddity and it will be getting restored and used, its in good condition and has been kept very original. There is cab heater and a few modifications to engine to aid cold weather starting.

I have owned it for less than a month, the picture I uploaded was it being delivered

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Simon,

I tried to contact the museum early this month to ask if the EB was still available, i didn't recieve a reply.

That was the 3rd EB i have enquired about.

Good luck with yours, some photo's would be nice.

Lastly, if you, or anyone on HMVF, know of an Eager Beaver Forklift for sale i would be interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi Giles,

Yes, the eager beaver arrived from Holland in March.

Seems to be complete, runs and drives well, hydraulics work, low hours/miles, poor tyres and brakes, obviously been standing for a while ! It should not require a huge amount of work, i hope !

I would have valued antarmike's comments, both before and after purchase but........

Regards David

Eager Beaver 001.jpg