Stanton Shelter - New for South Mids MVT

This is another one of Bob James's finds for his WW2 camp near Evesham.

Located near what was Honeybourne airfield, Worcs, the landowner had already demolished two but said we could have this one, but boy it was a hard graft. Looking at the surrounding fields I was surprised to see so many others.

Took five of us all day to dismantle & remove several tons of concrete & couldn't have done it without Bob's JCB & jack hammer, as we also had to remove several tons of soil & parts of the original blast walls along with a lot of cow crap inside.

18 Sections either side, bolted together resting in a concrete channel.

So here's a few pics of it being dismantled.

DSC04085.jpg

DSC04089.jpg

DSC04093.jpg

DSC04090.jpg

DSC04097.jpg

DSC04100.jpg

great work guys but what about the brick built air raid shelter on e bay now at 99p i will buy it if you guys dismantle and erect it ,,,, cant be fairer than that ,,,, keep up the good work ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:sweat:......:cool2:,,,:coffee:

So a good pressure washing of each section inside and out , would you then be painting the interior side? or applying a water proofing to the exterior before reassembling the shelter ?

Nice to see another bit of History has been saved from distruction , not at all bad for a days work ...would have thought it would have taken longer .

Think the plan is to wash inside, then place waterproof membrane outside as will be part buried & partly hidden by a cotswold stone wall. But thats going to take more than a day to put back up.

Apart from the cow cr4p its was dry inside as they had sealed all the joints with bitumen

for those interested in its location here is an aerial view from multimap

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|weston%20subedge#map=52.07146,-1.8185|20|32&loc=GB:52.06959:-1.81828:14|weston%20subedge|Weston-sub-Edge,%20Chipping%20Campden,%20Gloucestershire,%20England,%20GL55%206

then if you zoom out & go North West for about a mile you see the airfield, or go South East to the other side of the road & zoom in, you'll see more shelters in the field. I just enjoy roaming on these maps.

Took a few loads to bring back to camp as we reckon the whole lot weighs about 20tons!

Concrete base has gone down today and bought new bolts, then planning to erect again on the Saturday so will post our efforts then.

Yesterday, Sat 10th May we started to re-build the Stanton.

Good job we numbered all the pieces.

But after 68 years it was a bit of a bugg3r lining some of them up so we had to use the diggers for a little push here & there.

DSC04119.jpg

DSC04120.jpg

DSC04122.jpg

DSC04126.jpg

Its quite satisfying when we look back and work out that we've moved/lifted a combined weight of 80 tons.

Bob James is then going cover it up again & tarmac inside and another member is going to arrange for some sounds effects, so yes its a great team effort.

Why is it called a Stanton shelter? I presume it's because these were made at Stanton Ironworks, which also made concrete? I only ask this because I live very near to Stanton Ironworks!

Hello Neil,

This is located on Bob Jame's place at Badsey nr Evesham, Worcs, & is also the clubhouse for the South Midlands MVT where we have three shows with the next two in August.

And you might be interested to know that one of our members has a vehicle similar to your OT-90, he has the Russian BMP1 but it needs an engine.