AEC Militant MK 3 Gallery

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know AEC worked unsuccesfully to develop a multi fuel engine for the MkIII, if this isn't the vehicle it was tested in does anyone know how the trials were done?

According to 'Tugs of War' the trials of multifuel 2AV690 and 2AV760 were carried out in 1965 using MK2 and Mk3 chassis. Apparently the trials were not a great success, the 760 seized after 948 miles on petrol and the 690 managed 5200 miles on petrol before misfiring. The reason given was severe detonation and piston damage due to the high compression required for diesel use. By July 1965 it had been decided that the concept was unsatisfactory and that production versions of the Mk3 would have a conventional AV760.

Peronally I wouldn't trust Tugs of war too much, I find all Pat Wares books are great for photgraphs, but the written text is poorly researched and I have found countless mistakes in Tugs and his book on the Antar!

Unnecessary cropping of photographs, the use of metric, and not imperial, measurements and Mr.Wares observation that "no Scammell Constructors have survived in preservation", oh really ? "Tugs of War" could have been so much better .

Unnecessary cropping of photographs, the use of metric, and not imperial, measurements and Mr.Wares observation that "no Scammell Constructors have survived in preservation", oh really ? "Tugs of War" could have been so much better .

Agree entirely, b***dy METRIC ???

Would this be the same gentleman who does the arena commentary at W&P???

If so then last year he informed the assembled crowds that Stalwarts always got stuck in mud and needed to be recovered - then a matter of minutes later had to stand & watch as a Stalwart pulled a recovery vehicle out of the arena through all the mud.... Sometimes there is justice in the world!! :)

"Tugs of War" certainly falls far short of the standard set by this book.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/nynehead_dt_book.html

OK, I admit defeat after looking at the caption describing the Mk3 non recovery winch as a vertical Scammell type when it is clearly a standard horizontal type - do they not proof read these days?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I Must make it a priority over the winter to do the re make to put it back where it belongs!!! nice pics tho, put a smile on my face!! and in reply to the Scammell S26 its a self loading dump truck (SLDT) and is an awsome beast!! its barn partner to the millys!!! :)