A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery

From the "trailer" thread specialy to @ 6 x 6:

Originally Posted by Roland

A little movie about our british MV collection:

shows 10TonTiltTrailer (TTT) with AEC Militant, Reme-Sankey w. LR109 and 2axle (24ton) lowloader w. Scammell Crusader.

Originally Posted by 6 x 6

A very interesting video, thanks Roland. It would be nice to see a few photographs of the AEC on the Militant thread sometime...

So herewith some pics of the last Militant Mk.1 in Germany today:

1546930.jpg

1546931.jpg

1546932.jpg

1546933.jpg

1546934.jpg

1546935.jpg

1546936.jpg

Roland, how kind of you. I'm quite sure I won't be the only one to appreciate seeing these wonderful photographs of your really nice Militant. You, and your friends, certainly seem to have fun with it and and find plenty for it to do. I really like the 'photos with snow. Great pictures of an AEC in beautiful condition AND the only one in Germany. Fantastic.

When we went to pick out my brothers Militant Mk1 at Withams yard 20 years ago, there was a choice of 9 with Atlas cranes, 1 with a Hiab, and another 50+ mostly plain cargo, a good number with winches fitted. At the time there were also large stocks of engines and other spares crated up. I would imagine most were eventually cut up, although some may have been exported?

Jules

30-11-081st.jpg

bit of an update since I last posted, a bit of paint has gone on. Still too much to do to mention, but at least she looks better, if only from this distance! Took this picture, with my phone, at the weekend after moving her around the yard after putting two new batteries on. More to follow later but a quick contrast above, in 2008, to the one below, summer of 2007. BTW, does anyone know of anyone with any rear wings? These are absolutely shot to hell

I'll update more later, it's a job for those cold nights.

SS850424.jpg

Simon, I was wondering how you were getting on and it seems as though you've been very busy. It takes a lot of time and elbow grease to restore any lorry from the condition yours was in when the photographs on posts 110-112 were taken to how it looks now. I'm sure, as you say, there are still plenty of jobs left to do, there always are, but at least now that you've got a coat of paint on this AEC the restoration has passed a major milestone. In my opinion, the Militant gun tractor is one of the most handsome lorries ever built and with yours one being one of the very earliest, and most original, survivors it makes it a bit special.

Sorry to hear about the poor condition of the mudguards. Anything is possible, but I would have thought the chance of another pair in better condition than the ones you already have turning up would be fairly slim. The centre section is made from one sheet with a rolled edge and a lip on the inner side while the end sections are made in two parts, from rolled sheet and the rounded, formed outer edge welded onto it. I expect you have considered cutting this rounded outer edge off the old end sections and tig welding them onto new rolled sheet of the correct shape and gauge. I think that's how they would have been made originally and not as one piece pressings. If you don't fancy doing this yourself there must be loads of small sheet metal workshops in Leeds who wouldn't charge too much remake these mudguards.

It would be nice to see a few 'photos of the interior of the body when have some spare time. Cheers.

here's the plan, I was going to cut some flat steel for the wheel arches, then offer it up, with the wheel arches still attached, and tack weld it in place (the arches are that bad they would lose all shape if they were removed, but the outer rolled edge is fairly good)

I had hoped that someone had some wheelarches which would have saved me a lot of time, but nevermind, I love burning holes in myself with weld spatter!

The pictures below were taken last summer before I started this recent bout of work. The rear body is ok but has a few rotten planks, in the sides, tailboard and floor. I hope to remove the remaining floor and use the planks to repair the tail gate as it seems the same thickness. The floor wil be replaced by ply, not original I know, but a damn sight cheaper and won't be seen once painted.

The back body is a project in itself, but from a distance looks ok for now. The main aim with the militant, since last summer was to get it put back together, then back into a roadworthy condition, then hit the road! I can't commit to a nut and bolt restoration job, it'll have to be a work in progress from now on. I tried the former method originally, which resulted in bits everywhere, garages, sheds, cupboards etc, and a vehicle that looked a state.

I'll take some better pictures soon, and intend to post a few before and afters for comparison.

SS850442.jpg

the above was taken last year, the missing plank was there until I put my foot through it

SS850443.jpg

this is a limited view inside the back body, note the missing plank, and the other behind the tow bar, yep I put my foot through there as well! Does anyone know where I can source the steel strip that fastens to the floor, you can see it in the left of the picture. BTW, thanks to Andy for putting me onto the militant that was on ebay many months ago, see earlier in this thread, I bought the unloader valve from it, now the air problem is well and truely sorted.

Edited by Simon Daymond

Sounds like a good plan to me. Thank you for posting further pix. The metal strips on floor have a special name that I can't remember at the moment but these strips were available a few years ago when I restored the body on my gun tractor and I expect they still are. I seem to think I ordered them though a normal steel stock holders. You maybe surprised how many lengths you need, it's more than you might expect.

You're lucky, the body on your lorry still has the central storage compartment and presumably the seven seats for the gun crew. I've seen a few MK 1 gun tractors with all of this structure missing. What is the history of this lorry ? How did it survive in such an original and intact condition ?

These runners are called Bed Strip by some suppliers and even available in S/S and chrome for people customizing classic American pick ups. As I've already said, any steel stock holders should be able to supply it in mild steel, or galvanized, and exactly the same profile as the ones already on your MK 1 floor at more sensible prices than the classic American pick up enthusiasts are being asked to pay.

102555.jpg

Edited by 6 X 6

Fantastic NOS, thanks for that I thought that strip was going to elude me, also the pyramid tread strip, something I was told was discontinued years ago, I'd better get an order in before I spend all my pennies on Christmas.

Tom, the back body, although a bit sorry, seems complete. There are the seven crew seats and lockers at the front, which comprises a 5 seat row at the front, then two single seats behind ( one nearside, one offside), access to these seats is gained by tilting the seat back forward, of the seat in front. Also, there are two single seats, which hang off the rear body sides.

The back body could be better, but at least it's all there to copy etc. I'll post some pictures this weeked. If anyone wants any more detailed ones or measurements etc, just ask.

Unlike some militants, this one wasn't stored too much and got around, but I can't accurately recall the history, I was told it over the phone by Wally Dugan, ex-military museum, Beverley, and I didn't have a pen! So I'll have to get writng off for it.

From what I recall, the militant ended up in the driving school, sorry don't know the Army term for driving school. Would anyone know the insignia? I recall a blue and red square with a crown on the tailboard, but it was barely visible, and has long gone. Also there was a blue triangle painted on the radiator, with a white pattern on it, but again it was so bad you couldn't make out what it was, or at least I couldn't at the time, sadly this was all before digital cameras, and I didn't take anywhere near enough pictures.

From the driving school, it was sold at auction in 1982 I believe.

36BM01summer1994.jpg

well I called into workk today, after Xmas shopping with Tina, to take some of the interior body pics of the Militant. However, when I dropped the tailgate I remebered that I had dumped a load of junk in the back, and seeing that I was in my finery, and with the boss watching, relaised that I couldn't shift it to take some better pictures, so these will have to do for now.

SS851714.jpg

SS851717.jpg

SS851718.jpg

SS851719.jpg

SS851721.jpg

SS851716.jpg

SS851715.jpg

someone, tried to use these steps, despite being told not to, and pulled the bolts through the floor, more bleedin' work!

SS851712.jpg

In primer back in July, it's still wet in this picture

SS851367.jpg

taken today, still plenty to do , but getting there, next job finish the headlights.

SS851724.jpg

From what I recall, the militant ended up in the driving school, sorry don't know the Army term for driving school. Would anyone know the insignia? I recall a blue and red square with a crown on the tailboard, but it was barely visible, and has long gone.

Simon,

The red and blue sign would have been like the attached pic., denoting a War Office Controlled Unit. The other sign would probably have been Royal Army Service Corps ( or Royal Corps of Transport latterly) School of Transport, which was a square divided diagonally blue and yellow.

WO sign.jpg

That seems it, thanks Richard, I seem to recall that it had both on the back, would there be one either side of the tailboard? i.e yellow and blue diagonal square on the left, red and blue on the right? The one you show looks vaguely familiar, however, the one I recall had only a very crude stencilled crown etc.

The yellow and blue were so poor they were literally smears of colour, I wouldn't have known what shape or size they should have been.

Any ideas what the insignia on the radiator could have been? It was a dark blue triangle, same shape as an AEC triangle badge, with a white patten on it, it's visible in one of the earlier militant pictures I posted.

36BM01summer1994-1.jpg

You have made quite an improvement already , True there is a lot more to do but making a first step is the biggest , seems the the truck body is all thats left to hold the remains of the rear arches in some kind of shape as said if removed they would crumble to dust , barely anything to try and tack weld together no matter what gauge steel you try , like trying to hold bits of aluminum foil with scotch tape / cello tape I guess you'd say .

That seems it, thanks Richard, I seem to recall that it had both on the back, would there be one either side of the tailboard? i.e yellow and blue diagonal square on the left, red and blue on the right? The one you show looks vaguely familiar, however, the one I recall had only a very crude stencilled crown etc.

Any ideas what the insignia on the radiator could have been? It was a dark blue triangle, same shape as an AEC triangle badge, with a white patten on it, it's visible in one of the earlier militant pictures I posted.

Simon,

This sign is a waterslide transfer, some could have been signwritten, or later ones might have been vinyl stickers. That sign would be on nearside of vehicle (ie LH side looking forward), front and rear. The diagonal blue/yellow sign of RASC or RCT would have been on offside front and rear.

I could not find your "before restoration" photos, but wonder if the small sign on the radiator was an indicator to show that it had antifreeze in it, a blue and white symbol was used for this purpose.