A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery

I think 29BS59 has16 Regt 14Bty Cole`s Kop badge on the door This Bty was reformed in 1970

http://www.newtonnewtonflags.com/regimental-flag-14-bty-coles-kop.htm

found the above on the net after pasting '14-bty-coles-kop' into Google.

I've zoomed in on the original picture I have of 29 BS 55, and that is what I can see on the door. Well spotted !

• 2 weeks later...

Photos from the AEC 100 years show at Newark

Matador & Militant Lineup web.jpg

2 Militants in the line up of Mats

Militant cut down web.jpg

Shortened version

Militant Mk1 Bus web.jpg

Apparently there is a Militant under the bus bodywork, but I'm not sure where

Milicent by Streetlight web.jpg

My own, Militant by moonlight (well, streetlight, actually)

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
spelling mistake

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right place to pose a question but here goes.

While I was serving in the RE's we had Millies up until they were replaced at the begining of the 90's by 14 tonne TM's in my Sqn (44 Fd Sp Sqn RE). I never paid too much attention to them as I only had a HGV 3 at the time and was in Res Tp so we just loaded them up.

We called them 10 tonne Knockers (which look like the Millie Mk 1, flip up windscreen, crash gearbox, ratchet handbrake, no power steering, flat side panels) and Millies (occasionally Millie Mk 2, although they look more like the Mk 3 I have seen on the net).

Does anyone know which vehicles we actually would have used (I had T Ganders RE book but can no longer locate it after a couple of moves, nor any of my pictures of them in use).

Not sure if this is the right place to pose a question but here goes.

While I was serving in the RE's we had Millies up until they were replaced at the begining of the 90's by 14 tonne TM's in my Sqn (44 Fd Sp Sqn RE). I never paid too much attention to them as I only had a HGV 3 at the time and was in Res Tp so we just loaded them up.

We called them 10 tonne Knockers (which look like the Millie Mk 1, flip up windscreen, crash gearbox, ratchet handbrake, no power steering, flat side panels) and Millies (occasionally Millie Mk 2, although they look more like the Mk 3 I have seen on the net).

Does anyone know which vehicles we actually would have used (I had T Ganders RE book but can no longer locate it after a couple of moves, nor any of my pictures of them in use).

I think I can safely answer that one for you, having spent a fair percentage of my RE career in or around the things.

We (The Corps) only ever had the Mk1, at that time, and in it's long wheel base form. Always called a Knocker or Tenny, used as a G10 stores truck in a lot of units. 25 Regiment at Osnabruck also used adapted versions for carryiny the Heavy Girder Over Bridge and Class 60 Trailer. There is some pictures of mine earlier in this thread of one.

Back in the mists of time some plant units had Mk1 Tippers as well, but these were all gone by the early eighties replaced by the Haulamatic

Hello Simon, yes, it was on ebay about 18months ago. That's when I bought it, but I was unable to move it until today. The chap who sold it to me had taken great care of it and done alot to it. Bye for now, Dan W

Was this another that was for sale a while ago on Ebay? Looks nice and tidy :)

Here's a photo of JSK798 stopped for fuel en route from Yorkshire to the NW Midlands today. First time I had driven it. I did not find the gearbox especially easy to manage.

Glad to see someone else enjoying the agony and the ecstasy of owning and driving a Mk1 Militant. (Agony pictured!)

I had a run out to Eastbourne in mine today for an M.O.T. test at a local Mercedes dealership as VOSA were too busy in Hastings. All went well until a fault was found in the o/s rear axle tyre. So a quick (1 hour) wheel swap, and it was through for another year!

Jules

glad to hear you got it through an MOT again Jules! What did they do for a brake test?

I expained the dramas I've had with VOSA to the tester, and he thought about trying a roller test, but I managed to talk him out of it. So it was a Tapley test again, this time in a yard which made the Hastings test station seem huge! I didn't have the time to look at how fast I was going when ordered to jam on the anchors, but I'd be surprised if it was more than 10 mph, both for the footbrake, and the handbrake! He passed it anyway, and then went to change his underwear!

Jules

i expained the dramas i've had with vosa to the tester, and he thought about trying a roller test, but i managed to talk him out of it. So it was a tapley test again, this time in a yard which made the hastings test station seem huge! I didn't have the time to look at how fast i was going when ordered to jam on the anchors, but i'd be surprised if it was more than 10 mph, both for the footbrake, and the handbrake! He passed it anyway, and then went to change his underwear!

Jules

:-d:-d:-d:-d

:-d:-d:-d:-d

It us-est to be with the old Triangle brake testers at the Testing stations, tester could counter rotate the the wheels to overcome the linked double drive. This would enable each wheel to be tested holding the prop shaft in neutral.

I know this because during my training in the Ministry at Hendon in the early 80s. I was tasked with testing a Bedford double drive. This required that minimum brake efforts were achieved, whilst rotating the axle both ways.

I forgot this and went for maximum efforts. This was OK for the foot brake but when testing the parking brake, out of the corner of my eye I could see the the vehicle launching out of the rollers, with the load simulator on the back, heading for the gate.

The new/10year old brake testers in use don't have the facility of counter rotation. So deceleromiter is the only option. But no!

The Deceleromiter is the same as a "London Glazed Brick". It has been widely accepted that if you stand said brick on the cab floor, long way up and narrowest face forward, achieve 20MPH and brake gently, the point at which the brick topples is 50%.

Do that with the hand brake and life is good.

It us-est to be with the old Triangle brake testers at the Testing stations, tester could counter rotate the the wheels to overcome the linked double drive. This would enable each wheel to be tested holding the prop shaft in neutral.

I think I went into this in various posts over the last few years, but essentially you are right it can be tested as an HGV, in which case both the footbrake, and handbrake can be tested by counter-rotating all the wheels on the rear axles, and recording the maximum efforts. However it in it's current configuration, it's a motorhome (heavy class4), and as such the imbalance throughout the braking range needs to be compared, which means rolling both wheels on an axle forward at the same time. This isn't possible on the Militant and some other older vehicles, hence the Tapley test is used.

Last year it took a call to VOSA testing policy unit to get a definite answer, which the tester grudgingly accepted, and finally agreed to test the Militant, having initially refused to test it!

They stated that: a tester can't refuse to test a vehicle; can't ask for parts to be removed to make their job easier ( it was suggested I turned up early and remove my rear propshaft between the axles!); the vehicle must be tested as presented; and as my Militant carried neither goods, nor passengers, a Tapley test is fine!

Jules

and just to add to that, yes there is the facility to counter-rotate the wheels on the same axle, but what many overlook is the fact that both axles are connected and militants don't have diff locks, so unless you have a double rolling road or remove the prop etc, all that will happen is that the militant will try to drive itself out of the rollers :)

Glad you got Vosa to amend the regs for the militant, with a bit of luck that info will now be on file, and others in the same boat should be able to get future testers to refer to it, if the problem arises again.