A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery

The last time I took my Militant out was to lift a large stone gatepost back into place for someone a couple of months ago. This it did with few problems, until I stopped in the local garage to put £100 of fuel in. For the first time ever (except flat batteries) it wouldn't start! No dash lights, although all the exterior ones worked fine. I looked for loose wires, played with switch, hit dash etc, called friends with Unimogs all with no luck. Eventually hotwired starter solenoid behind drivers seat to inspection light socket and started with not further problem. Phew! I was beginning to sweat a bit, blocking 3 pumps for half an hour!

Last week was quiet at work, so I thought I'd investigate. I stripped the ignition switch out (really awkward with the drivers seat fitted), and cleaned it thoroughly inside. Put it back in (also really uncomfortable with seat fitted!), and it made no difference. Doh! Wiggled the dash wiring with enthusism, and had a brief flash of dash lights. Aha! Took seat out, and in the end replaced the 4 wires from the Generator panel to the connector block behind the seat of which 1 was rotten, and the 7 wires from behind the seat to the dash with the especially rotten wire being the IGN+.

In the end it was about a days work, but should now be reliable again until the next problem arises.

Jules

when my militant electrics were sorted out, by an Ex Reme guy, he insisted that he modified the connection block on the cab seat, and put all the wires into a rubber junction box. He told me that when in the army, he was always being called to militants where some 'clumsy fff'ing squaddie' had knocked all the wires out by standing on them etc.

Sometimes a rewire is the only answer. Did you have enough connectors etc?

I re-used all the old connectors. Just desoldered them, cleaned them up a bit and fitted them on the new wire. I only had a bit of a random selection of colours, but I have made a note of them, in case the dash end cable markers fade too much to read in the future. For some reason most of the markers behind the seat are already unreadable, which made it all a bit more of a challenge.

About ten years ago when I was sorting out my Explorer, I ordered 100 of the military style bullet connectors through my account with LSUK. One of their staff phoned my when they arrived, to check whether I wanted them. Why? Because they were over £3.00 + VAT each!!! I didn't have them in the end, and have recycled all the connectors that have passed my way since, and haven't had any issues with them.

Jules

when my militant electrics were sorted out, by an Ex Reme guy, he insisted that he modified the connection block on the cab seat, and put all the wires into a rubber junction box. He told me that when in the army, he was always being called to militants where some 'clumsy fff'ing squaddie' had knocked all the wires out by standing on them etc.

I'm not sure if mine has a later modification, but it has a good metal shield around the connectors behind the seat, making it hard enough to deliberately unplug them, let alone "accidentally" knock one out!!

Jules

I'm not sure if mine has a later modification, but it has a good metal shield around the connectors behind the seat, making it hard enough to deliberately unplug them, let alone "accidentally" knock one out!!

Jules

According to my Father in law, it was a popular sport between drivers to unplug anothers wiring at critical times

Jules

Mine used to have a strip of wood, which the connectors plugged into either side, it looked a mess, and the wiring was vulnerable, and as he was doing it, I wasn't inclined to complain, given that at the time nothing worked because the previous owner had acquired the militant for spares and had unplugged everything that he thought his kids might break playing in it. Several years later, I come along and every wire is yellow, and most of the tags have worn off!

• 2 weeks later...
In answer to the questions, I am waiting for some other pictures to come from my Father in Law, and I will get better info about his regiment at the time, and about the white mirror. As for the bumper corners etc on the RE one, I dont remember any particular regulations about it, but it was always done, any extremity/sticky out bit was painted white

Hi Rob,

any more pictures?

I'm trying to amass gun tractor pictures showing the rear canvas, I'm in the process of having one made and all info would be very useful, so if anyone else has any lurkiing..?

• 5 weeks later...

After a recent visit to the library at Firepower, I got some pictures scanned. I was told I could put them on here, if I gave the appropriate credit:

They are reproduced courtesy of the Royal Artillery Historical Trust, Royal Regiment of Artillery Museum "FIREPOWER ". The Royal Arsenal Woolwich London SE18 6ST

Leyland Martian & AEC Militant 42 EL 36

7182902998_7e464f2075_b.jpg

42 EL 36 by busandcoachpainters, on Flickr

42EL5142EL45.jpg

49BS55.jpg

RAHT601.jpg

RAHT602.jpg

Militantdriver.jpg

NewMilitantdriver.jpg

Edited by Simon Daymond

one of the militants has an elephant on the cab door, I think the other is a Sphinx. Almost all the militant pictures seem to relate to radar, I think the gun tractor is pulling a radar unit as well. Was intersting to see the AEC badges, looks quite late though, I wonder if the uniforms might date the pictures? Only the picture of the driver, had writing on the back, it gave his name, which of course I didn't write down.

one of the militants has an elephant on the cab door, I think the other is a Sphinx. Almost all the militant pictures seem to relate to radar, I think the gun tractor is pulling a radar unit as well. Was intersting to see the AEC badges, looks quite late though, I wonder if the uniforms might date the pictures? Only the picture of the driver, had writing on the back, it gave his name, which of course I didn't write down.

I think 29BS59 has16 Regt 14Bty Cole`s Kop badge on the door This Bty was reformed in 1970

Nice pictures, do you know which unit they are from?

Also I notice on the parade picture, the trucks have the AEC badge fitted on the radiator. As a rule they weren't normally fitted, wonder if they were fitted especially for the parade

I am pretty sure this web-site does not object to the mention of other web-sites . . . :shocked:

Can I suggest you will find some answers to your questions if you try <ARRSE> . . . ;)

Postscript: It is over forty years ago now, but I seem to remember the registration number 42EL51. That would only be from when I was a Lt with 238 Sqn RCT(V), in Bootle !!