A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery

Commercial Body Fittings - www.cbf.uk.com

Look under steel sections. Also the diagonal treadplate strip as on Scammell front wings etc.

Cannot recommend these folk highly enough, quick delivery and good prices. All manner of old style fittings still available.

Thank you, New Old Stock, "floor wearing strip", no wonder I couldn't remember what it was called.

Simon, I hadn't imagined the mudguards would be quite as corroded as your photographs have revealed.

SS851716.jpg

Just a thought, I wonder if you've considered making new mudguards of the very early, possibly prototype, pattern that are basically flat and relatively easy to make ? I think they look really nice and wouldn't be out of place on such an early example as your lorry is.

sc0008871d.jpg

sc0008871d01.jpg

sc00087c3b.jpg

Yes 6x6, they do look good. Much better in fact!

Well, I really do think they look better than the later ones and making them would be no more than a few hours work with basic sheet metal working gear. Imagine the cost/difficulty of reproducing a pair of these with the formed, rounded outer edge pictured below. Anyway, it's up to Simon.

sc0006a8e8.jpg

That's gonna be a fine looking lorry when it's done Simon, nice to have so much wood work left to copy/restore.

I reckon young 6X6 has come up with a good workaround there, makes one wonder why the later type of mudguard was ever adopted.

Getting some paint on is so encouraging isn't it! :thumbsup:

The wheelarches were always suspect, but have been helped along, by pokers at work, who seem to think they are doing me a big favour by poking a hole in what was left, whilst pointing it out to me.

I'm hoping that I can get a good enough pattern from what remains. The pictures show the off-side wheel arch, which is terrible, although the nearside, isn't much better. What I intended to do, was to make a paper template from the goodish N/S wheelarch (the flat bit not the outer edge) then use it to cut 8 flat pieces, then I was going to tack four of the pieces internally, one per wheelarch section, then remove the worst of the original metal, then tack the other four externally, ending up with a sandwich with the original wheel arch in the middle, but only the outer edge visible. The outer edge on the wheel arches is intact on all sections and I think I can get the metal to weld to it. Does that make any sense? Basically I'm going to attempt a repair in situ, welding where it will, using the orignal arches to get the shape, and benefitting from the fact that they are still fastened to the body.

Failing that, apart from starting completely from scratch, I don't see what else to do. The wheelarches are far too fragile to stand being removed, let alone being worked on in the garage, I think the best option is to get the wheels off, remove the large flaky bits, clean an edge to weld to, and get cracking.

I've looked at the wheelarches, and think that once the arches have some good metal internally, I should be able to release them from the body, and slide the outer skin into place, then jack the wing back up into place, wedging the metal and forming a curve, then I'll blat it with the welder! Anything that either blows through, or looks to messy can always be tidied up.

That's the plan, if it works I'll show you the pictures, if it doesn't no-one will get to see it!

This is the nearside wheelarch, the gaping hole was where the centre part went, but this was a flat sheet of steel with a rolled egde, which is still present. I can either make a complete new one, or simply weld some flat steel sheet to the original edge.

SS851713.jpg

That's the plan, if it works I'll show you the pictures, if it doesn't no-one will get to see it!

Sorry mate, that's just not good enough. We want a live webcam and some means for us to chip in unhelpful comments while your actually doing the job.

regards unhelpful comments;

if I want to get any work done on the militant, I have to take it in the garage and bolt the bloody doors, if I don't I attract an audience, who all remind me of that Harry Enfield character.. 'you don't want to do it like that..' etc etc

So I must decline your kind offer of moral support, sorry. I've become quite adept at giving onlookers the message ' look I'm giving up my spare time to get something done, will you please bugger off' It seems to work very well, and saves a fortune in Christmas cards.

Not one for the purists though I still think it looks better!

Just think of the many happy hours that could be whiled away whenever a small crowd gathers :cool2:

Is this yours?

Yes why?

I reckon it's an early and a late one cut and shut mate.

Dunno why do you say that?

And on and on...................

well perhaps not just seen your last post!

Edited by gritineye

Just think of the many happy hours that could be whiled away whenever a small crowd gathers :cool2:

Absolutely ! These self-appointed experts rarely have owned, or restored, a historic vehicle but are a bottomless fund of 'expertise' and 'knowledge'. I'm sure we've all met this type of character at shows who can't wait to point out the only metric bolt on the entire lorry or the 'wrong' shade of green paint on a jerry can.

Sightly less amusing are the clever dicks who I was attempting to send up in my post requesting a live webcam in Simon's workshop. These types with their 'you're doing it all the wrong way' unhelpful comments can really slow a job down. Whatever your are doing they've got this other way and "why don't you just do this" or "just do that". My own way of dealing with them is the head butt.

Anyway, other pix of the Militant gun tractor prototype and that body does look absurdly high. I realise this was a prototype but, even so, it looks such a mismatch one wonders if it was a cock up, the result of poor communication between AEC and the supplier of the body.

sc001afe5f.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I hadn't realised they had such a large axle movement until I saw Catweazles latest video on HMVFTV of the MK3 off roading ! Learning all the time ! :-D

The brother of the chap driving it was the owner,and now writes for Military Machines Shaun Conners.The driver realised when the vehicle arrived it was the last vehicle he had driven in service BAOR.Spooky.

Les, I have two ambitions in life. One is to outlive Mr.N.O.S. and get my hands on his Constructor and the other is to live long enough to see your entire 'photo collection. Where on earth did this wonderful picture come from and what was the MOD doing with a drilling rig ? Would this rig have been intended to drill bore holes for water ? The reg. 27CL26 suggests this lorry was built around October 1959.

It is certainly a deep well type rig, typically for water. One of the neatest masts and legs for a rig of that era that I've seen!

The MOD have had rigs for water supply work for a long while, Withams Jacksons etc have been selling various ex MOD rigs for some time. Might it have stemmed from forces service in the middle east??

The MOD have had rigs for water supply work for a long while.

I didn't know that. What other chassis did the MOD have equipped in this way in the 1950's ? I've seen a few photographs of LWB Constructors carrying drilling rigs.....even one operating in the UK. Were Scammells ever employed in this role by the British Army ?

In later years, The Royal Engineers had a rotary well boring rig mounted on a Magirus Deutz 6x6.

The Bedford MJ mounted rigs were Hands England equipment operated by RE Bomb Disposal unit, for locating unexploded ordnance, by boring a pattern of holes and using locaters in them to pin point the position.