A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery

I would think the matt green is NATO Green ( Possibly Infra Red Repellent)! My experience of this is that my Pig needs repaint nearly every year as it fades very quickly !

Andy had the same problem this year, only had chance to paint the lower half of the cab with NATO the day before we were due at Cosford Air Show. The rest of the truck looked really faded; a friend who shows ex-mil Land Rovers suggested a quick spray with WD40 and rub with some rag would do the trick. Half hour later and the truck looked like it had just been painted; you could hardly tell which the difference between the fresh paint and the paint that was put on at the beginning of last year. Three weeks later and it still looks bang on, even after some pretty heavy rain and quite a few road miles. If you do try it, it might be worth doing a small insignificant area first. We have even painted over some areas on the cab now, and there has been no reaction with fresh paint on areas that were treated with the WD40

Simon very nice work on the Mk 1 - Must admit there is something very special about the look of the Mk 1's

FWIW - Militants in the TA were Deep Bronze Green at least until 1978 (thats the last time I recall seeing one). However - last Ex I did with the RCT (VR) was in 1974 and the GS 6x6's we drew from the pool were painted in a matt green - not sure if it was OD or IRR now.......

As an off-topic note - this was the time when an MGB GT became an MGB roadster after ignoring the warning given by sentries on a back road on SPTA and trying to drive under a Mk 1 GS. Never hurt the Milly at all apart from shaking some mud off the chassis!! :):)

Nooo..... They don't appear on the firms web site at all so I thought if I could get the price and condition and post it here some might get saved.

Right now the new kitchen I had to agree to get her for letting me have the OT is starting to follow the path of the 2012 Olympics as regards the cost!!!

Started out at £8K, we just passed the £11K mark.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

All of the following 'photos were taken about 12 years ago. I'd bought this lorry, which was unregistered and had not been on the road since it's army days, from a plant operator who was slowly breaking it. It had already lost it's gearbox, starter, pump and a few other bits but it was basically sound, original and on good tires so I decided to buy it as it was.

I smartened it up by painting the cab and wheels in the yard where I bought it and from where I towed it back to my main lorry Den with....

sc000bc4dd.jpg

Edited by 6 X 6

I managed to persuade my friend's 18 year son it would be character building for him to sit in, and steer, the towed Militant and after a final check we set off. By the way, that's a fur hat I'm wearing, not a cheap toupee from Woolworths.

sc000bac0f.jpg

Edited by 6 X 6

Because the lorry Den we were headed for was situated on a very busy main road the only time I would be able to push the dead Milly into the Den would be very, very early on a Sunday morning. This meant an over night stop, just outside town, to be ready for the final part of the operation.

sc000c4b20.jpg

Edited by 6 X 6