A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery

You'll never ever see these two Militants at any Show. Although at one time well known on the northern rally circuit both were destroyed at different times, and under different circumstances, some years ago.

sc002407e6.jpg

sc0024a639.jpg

You'll never ever see these two Militants at any Show. Although at one time well known on the northern rally circuit both were destroyed at different times, and under different circumstances, some years ago.

sc002407e6.jpg

sc0024a639.jpg

:shocked: What happened to them................??

The one in the top 'photo, the LWB Cargo was set alight by kids whilst being stored and completely burnt out. The Gun Tractor in the lower picture was cut in half and exported to Bongoland to work in timber extraction. Ironically, this same Gun Tractor is shown on the Mat and Milly website as a survivor which, as I say, is not quite correct.

The one in the top 'photo, the LWB Cargo was set alight by kids whilst being stored and completely burnt out. The Gun Tractor in the lower picture was cut in half and exported to Bongoland to work in timber extraction. Ironically, this same Gun Tractor is shown on the Mat and Milly website as a survivor which, as I say, is not quite correct.

Cheers for the extra info;..........hope the caught the little s*ds, and made them suffer........:argh:

Gun tractor looked pristine,...............what a shame something as complete was allowed to be vandalised; :-(

Late 1950's transitional cab with later type windscreens but earlier "slug" style side lights and fitted with trafficators (just behind door). Does anyone know what the purpose of the large bracket on the O/S rear corner of the cab was ? Also, you can just make out the crossed keys insignia on the front of the Militant on the left, which outfit would this be ?

sc000460c101.jpg

Edited by 6 X 6

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it is a beauty. Had the pleasure of riding in it a few years ago. John sold it to a guy called Ian and he is in twickenham off roaders to so it stayd in the club. Now John has got a mk3 wrecker. Its got a bit more greener since i last saw it at beltring last year.

I once saw (and thought about buying) a Mk1 Millie that was at L.W. Vass.

It was straight from the army, but had a Hiab at the back of the load platform. It had quick disconnect hydraulic pipes and was socketed and pinned to the rear of the Millie.

You could put the hook on the ground behind the Millie as a steady, , lower the Jack legs, pull the pins, uncoulple the hoses and drive away from the Hiab. What happened to this Millie, but more interesringly, what was it.

Was it an unadopted prototype, or did any with this arrangement actually go into service??

It was straight from the army, but had a Hiab at the back of the load platform. It had quick disconnect hydraulic pipes and was socketed and pinned to the rear of the Millie.

Was it an unadopted prototype, or did any with this arrangement actually go into service??

Mike,

Never seen or heard of that variant, it could of been a one-off from Chertsey or similar location. We once had a Mk1 come in for repairs with a Brimec slide off body, used by RE for picking up plant equipment. It was shown in one of the FVRDE / MVEE handbooks, I think that may also have been a rarity.

I once saw (and thought about buying) a Mk1 Millie that was at L.W. Vass.

You can't help wondering why the idea of placing a dismountable Hiab at the rear of the platform, as described by Mike, instead of the adaption we are more familiar with, where a fixed Hiab is placed immediately behind the cab, wasn't the one that went into service. Rear body mounting seems to have many advantages, and few obvious drawbacks, compared to a fixed position behind the cab.

If you accept that the cost of the front, or rear modification was probably much the same, one wonders why a sigificate number of MK 1's were fitted with the fixed forward position, and not a dismountable rear, Hiab. Maybe, as always happens to me, they thought of what appears to be the better design only after they had already finished building the other sort. If so, as Mike asks, what was the story behind the one in Vass's Yard.

We should be told.