I`ve got the book you mentioned Les. I`ve told my missus i want to be buried with it so i can finally read it in peace!

two questions,

1. If you`ve got loads more Diamond T stuff will there be a second book?

2. Have you got any pictures of my 981 reg no 22YZ27?

Dave

That trailer was fascinating - did you see that the lower side was covered with veterans autographs with dates & place of service ?

Dave, I spoke with one of the French guys (well sort of, they spoke absolutely no English!!) and he showed me the vets' signatures. One guy had signed it back in '74 or '84 and again in 2004. They were very proud of those ones!! Note the trailer has been repainted a couple of times, but the signature areas are left original. What a wonderful tribute to the vets!

The trailer is a WW2 10T stake trailer, as used on Red Ball routes behind International and Autocar tractors, but rebuilt post war as a van by the Dutch (on top of the original flat bed floor). I was fooled by it - it looked so WW2 American that I had ventured across to take a whole load of detail photos, thinking I could make a demountabe living van body for my identical trailer. Still thinking about it!!

W+P Trailer.JPG

Thought you guys might appreciate this, its a painting i commisioned Keith Hudson to complete for me about 8 years ago, its a large piece of art work and hangs in my entrance hall. Keith was well known for his fairground and circus artwork but was happy to undertake this for me, sad to relate he is no longer with us but he certainly left a legacy with all the paintings he produced which i add included a lot of ex military items in showman use

hmvf1.jpg

Nice painting, Les. There was an eastern european guy, by the name of Palav Holy or something like that, who did acrylic paintings in a similar style. He was at W+P some years back. I loved his work, and almost commisioned something from him but was stuck for choice of subject (and money!) at the time. He did one of a similar DT negotiating a railway crossing in the rain. I wonder if he is still painting?

Tony

Lovely Diamond in Dorset ! There are two that had worked together in Scotland and they did push/pull an ExPickfords trailer but unfortunately they didn't come near enough to photo ! Also one in Deep Bronze Green !

DSC04609.jpg

DSC04610.jpg

DSC04404.jpg

DSC04405.jpg

DSC04408.jpg

DSC04538.jpg

DSC04539.jpg

Edited by AndyFowler

Nice pictures Andy.

Sorry to be a bit of an anorak but has GLU654 had an engine change? The last time I saw this one there was a Rolls under the bonnet with the characteristic bulge on the offside.

Edited by Adrian
typo

Nice pictures Andy.

Sorry to be a bit of an anorak but has GLU654 had an engine change? The last time I saw this one there was a Rolls under the bonnet with the characteristic bulge on the offside.

Hi Adrian the wearing of anoraks is positively encouraged on this thread ! I'm afraid I don't know about the engine change but Antarmike may when he returns from the show as he arranges the diesel heavy haulage section ! The programme lists the owner as coming from France !

Hi Adrian the wearing of anoraks is positively encouraged on this thread ! I'm afraid I don't know about the engine change but Antarmike may when he returns from the show as he arranges the diesel heavy haulage section ! The programme lists the owner as coming from France !

I hear from Les that this vehicle is still owned by Tony Graves, who moved to France a few years ago. This example, plus two others used to be parked in a yard next to the M25. I always looked forward to a trip to Kent for this very reason!

Yes I remember them being there also mate ! Hows your restoration progressing ? :-D

I remember taking pictures of them years ago. I will scan them in and post if I can dig them out.

The restoration is progressing at a good pace. An update to the blog is imminent.

Adrian,

I understand that Tony has relocated or changed the air cleaner so as to use an original type bonnet. Engine is still a Rolls.

I thought about doing that as my "Rolls" bonnets are a bit scruffy and i`ve a set of good "Hercules" bonnets sitting spare.

It`s not just the air filters which are different, the area on the near side inner wheel arch is a completely different shape. I know anything is possible but i mistakenly thought it was just a spnanner job. As many wise men say " If it ain`t broke, don`t fix it.

Dave

I took a friend down to look at the DTs by the M25. He came away with the green one (which is now in Suffolk - nice truck) and I came away wih the orange Chaseside loader :)

We went to inspect the Pickfords one, but both resisted with difficulty. Some weeks later I weakened to the point of making the phone call, only to discover it had just been taken over to Normandy. Oh well, probably for the best :-(

I took a friend down to look at the DTs by the M25. He came away with the green one (which is now in Suffolk - nice truck) and I came away wih the orange Chaseside loader :)

We went to inspect the Pickfords one, but both resisted with difficulty. Some weeks later I weakened to the point of making the phone call, only to discover it had just been taken over to Normandy. Oh well, probably for the best :-(

The green one was very nice. I had seen both at shows and was upset when they can up for sale as I was still and uni and could barely pay the rent let alone pick up a T, especially such a good example.

It is great to see GLU still looking so tidy.

You should have come and said hello, Nick.

NVS 144 is my Diamond T 981 and as you can probably see has the Rolls Royce C6 under the bonnet, the Italian one hails from the Braintree area and has the supercharged Detroit diesel,

If the latter ever makes it onto the road that will be the 7th roadworthy example that i know of to grace the roads in Essex. I`m sure there are probably more in hiding.

Imagine a convoy of 7 of these running together!

Dave