Scammell Constructor Gallery.

N.O.S. what's the estimated weight on that genset? I can understand it being on a three axle truck but it seems unless the rear tires were a bit low on air pressure to be putting quite a burden on that poor rear axle ?

I will let N.O.S. answer that as he probably has the exact figures, but if you think the truck looks heavy, you should see the trailer. It was a 3 axle unit with a mobile pithead, a massive winding drum and a huge electric motor. The entire rig was so heavy that some bridges had to be crossed caterpillar style by winching the trailer across once the Mountaineer had gone over solo.

:shocked::shake: Now thats HEAVY , must have taken a bit of route planning to avoid having to go to all that work more than once or twice !! :eek:

I can't imagine what hills would be like going up taking forever , and or a helper truck pushing or going down again with a helper truck to avoid wearing out the brakes on only a couple of decents!!

Yes, Mike, I saw it on the cover of a Vintage Commercial magazine and tracked Paul down, but could not persuade him to part with it!

Some while later it went to someone on the south coast, from where Donald Cook in Northumberland acquired it. A lovely truck, ex Mines Rescue with a Leyland 680. My first bout of Scammellitis!

And even more off topic, here is my own Mines Rescue Scammell (Meadows diesel), and I believe the only one left with an intact genset - 2 C6 Rolls in tandem driving through one output shaft to a 400Vdc generator.

Having said that, the Royal Navy had a short wheelbase Mountaineer artic unit, saw service later with Hills of Botley :)

Shes a beauty mate ! Do you still own her ? I would have thought a showman would have whipped her up with all that generating power ! Lovely to see her preserved ! Andy F.:bow::bow::bow:

:shocked::shake: Now thats HEAVY , must have taken a bit of route planning to avoid having to go to all that work more than once or twice !! :eek:

I can't imagine what hills would be like going up taking forever , and or a helper truck pushing or going down again with a helper truck to avoid wearing out the brakes on only a couple of decents!!

Yes, quite comical for what was essentially an emergency rescue vehicle, but still an improvement on the steam traction engines used previously:shocked:

N.O.S. Thank you very, very much indeed for posting photographs of your exceptionally interesting, and absolutely fantastic, Scammells. For the past 24 hours, since first learning of their existence, I've been in state of shock. Now that I'm gradually regaining my composure my first question is, what is going on within the wooden body of PKG 888 ? Is it compartmentalized and if so how ? Are there lockers and a ballast compartment, or indications that there once were ? On the N/S of the body is there recessed area where the spare wheel is stowed. Pray do tell us.

Also, what, if anything, does the British Commercials Museum at Leyland have to say about the history of PKG 888 ? I'd love to know.

abn deuce, the whole vehicle goes 17 1/2 Tons (39,200lbs to you, which is 19.6 US tons :???). I'm sure the chassis was 10 tonnes on the weighbridge, so skid unit would be about 7 1/2 Tons.

The weight is not a problem, and the trailer must have been 26 Tons - not a problem for a Mountaineer. The trouble is the high centre of gravity, which coupled with the centre-pivot transverse front spring (common to Pioneer, Explorer, Constructor as well), means there is very little latteral stability.

But it does say max. speed 12 mph on the truck! That one too was fun loading onto a slightly narrower stepframe trailer - the rear left inside tyre was in fact flat (well spotted!) and had chopped the valve stem off, so the truck would not run in a straight line :argh:

Andy - I reckon the dodgems would be a bit too quick with 400 volts going to them :-D

Edited by N.O.S.

6 X 6, the rear body is "compartmentalised" but not quite as much as the steel body. I'll get a pic when I remove the tarpaulins in the next week or so. And yes the wheel carrier is recessed as per MOS vehicles. The ballast compartment is a bit longer than that in the steel body I believe. The steel top was added by the research squad together with lots of switches and wiring - may have been a cut-down Matador top? - now removed.

The previous owner had obtained the limited service info from Army Transport Museum, Beverley, and also (if my memory is correct) a copy of the original Scammell sales order and build sheet from Leyland. But it might be worth giving them another try perhaps?

This was one of two supplied against an orignal order for four - the order for the other two, which had been cancelled, was subsequently reinstated and they went to Christmas Island - see the posts about Andy Fowler's dad's Constructor used on the H bomb tests.

Mike - just remembered I did end up with the ground anchor and mountings from Paul Badger's truck :)

Thank you N.O.S. that's very interesting. I look forward to seeing a few more 'photos when you are able to spare the time. The

British Commercials Museum may well hold history relating to this vehicle other than build sheet. Post No.15 in thread, "Researching vehicle history" in MV Chatter may be helpful.

Mike - just remembered I did end up with the ground anchor and mountings from Paul Badger's truck :)

A Paul Badger speciality, park a Mondeo in his yard for more than 10 mins and it would end up with a monster ground anchor nailed to the rear bumper.

I still cannot remember what you bought from us, but it was around the time you were restoring the RAF Constructor.

I still cannot remember what you bought from us, but it was around the time you were restoring the RAF Constructor.

I know, it's driving me mad!

Here is an interesting marriage between a Constructor and a Ward laFrance. It was offered for sale up north a year or so ago, does anyone have any info on its whereabouts? I think it was 680 fitted.

constructor.jpg

I know, it's driving me mad!

Here is an interesting marriage between a Constructor and a Ward laFrance. It was offered for sale up north a year or so ago, does anyone have any info on its whereabouts? I think it was 680 fitted.

That looks like it could be an Explorer in a similar condition to mine in the left hand back ground ! Poor fella !:-D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
"The Cab with No Name", it was released in 1973 and was the first "western" that featured lorries as the main characters.

Brilliant:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• 3 weeks later...
There are two unusual things about this ex forces 20T Constructor -

1) The front end restyling (not going to tell you what I think.....)

2) Believe it or not, it is still in service - currently at J6 of M1 for the widening scheme works. Had to park and run up the slip road to grab this shot yeaterday, sadly I could not find any staff to get any info. The lifting gear is a twin boom Holmes arrangement, same as Diamond T.

About 10 years ago I saw possibly the same truck at their Sandy depot, still with cycle front wings, though I thought at the time it was a civilian model. Can anyone shed any light on this / these trucks?

Yes its still in use, its still has the Meadows engine in,the wrecker gear is a Holmes 700,but it has Garwood winches in stead off Holmes..just had an engine overhaul and a repaint.the train wieght is 100 tonne,max speed 25 mph,and it returns 2-3 mpg..it does nt have a silencer,just stright 6 inch exhust..we mainly use it for off road recovery and in ice/snow

Yes its still in use, its still has the Meadows engine in,the wrecker gear is a Holmes 700,but it has Garwood winches in stead off Holmes..just had an engine overhaul and a repaint.the train wieght is 100 tonne,max speed 25 mph,and it returns 2-3 mpg..it does nt have a silencer,just stright 6 inch exhust..we mainly use it for off road recovery and in ice/snow

Thank you for these interesting details. It would be great to hear what you know of it's history and see a few 'photos posted here if possible. Thanks.

Yes its still in use, .......we mainly use it for off road recovery and in ice/snow

Many thanks for the info, SG05TOW, and great to see someone enthusiastic enough to be prepared to keep one working and in such good condition.

:tup::

Good photos 6x6, but here is a little brain teaser referring to King Arthur.

1. It is a mongrel, but what components is it made of?

2. Who made it?

3. Who bought it from the answer to 2?

4. How much did it sell for in the above sale. (I know because I was there!)