Scammell Constructor Gallery.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone..Here are 3 pictures Of my constructor i have not seen her for a number of years due to other projects / issues ,so this is what she looks like now and I hope to to bring her home in the near future. Earlier in the thread my friend John did mention that I owned the constructor he was right I have owned it for many years now approximate 14. She was in excellent condition but the last few years in storage have taken its toll on her being outside.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

After a good day playing around we cleaned the front of the truck and had her running.

But we have a problem with the parking brake it has a air leak on the unit it's self but don't know why ????

But we did not get round to cleaning the back of the truck today because we needed some lunch.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
hi all, going through some photos this weekend i found these i took in the mid eighties at horseshoe green garage at cowden near edenbridge kent, the owner also had an explorer the crane of which ended up on the constructor. the constructor had the meadows petrol replaced with a leyland 680 power plus, it was in beautiful condition and on the inside drivers door was a hand painted figure of robin hood, presumably the truck belonged to the sherwood foresters. not long after i took the pictures the constructor was sold and disappeared and the explorer was cut up, perhaps someone out there knows of its whereabouts, i believe the owner retired and the garage closed, hope of interest, tony g.

I have spoken to Geoff Rhodes, this is indeed the vehicle he owned. He bought it from Horseshoe Garage and drove it home to Market Harborough, quite a journy at the time with no M25. He ran it for a number of years used mostly on heavy winching work. He later sold it on and rad an RAF type Constructor for a while.

Andy C

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I was a Scammel driver at Waterbeach. 30 ton RAF draw bar trailers. Vehicle no. 20 BT 42

Germany 30 ton Army artic. ------------ 83 BL 13 and 83 BL 18

Aden and the Gulf 30 ton RAF draw bar trailers. ------------ 20 BT 40

I have a lot of photographs for both U.K and the Gulf.

Lot of photographs 30 Ton Scammel in the river when wooden bridge collapsed in Thailand ! '' OP CROWN ''

Regards

Sean Mc Cargo

I was a Scammel driver at Waterbeach. 30 ton RAF draw bar trailers. Vehicle no. 20 BT 42

Germany 30 ton Army artic. ------------ 83 BL 13 and 83 BL 18

Aden and the Gulf 30 ton RAF draw bar trailers. ------------ 20 BT 40

I have a lot of photographs for both U.K and the Gulf.

Lot of photographs 30 Ton Scammel in the river when wooden bridge collapsed in Thailand ! '' OP CROWN ''

Regards

Sean Mc Cargo

We need to see the photos John (or is it Sean?) your not allowed to tease us!! If you look back to post 580 on this thread you will see my old 30 ton artic, 83BL02 in IRR but I suspect most were DBG in service.

Seeing as you used to operate them, tell us about your experience with vibrating prop shafts and gearbox problems, we had a long debate about this some time ago.

Mike

This RAF Constructor is identified as a Scammell Contractor in the December "Military Machines International"....Just can't get the staff can you.....

Hi ,

I was based at Waterbeach and used to drive 21 BT 42.

Regards

John Mc Cargo

c

We need to see the photos John (or is it Sean?) your not allowed to tease us!! If you look back to post 580 on this thread you will see my old 30 ton artic, 83BL02 in IRR but I suspect most were DBG in service.

Seeing as you used to operate them, tell us about your experience with vibrating prop shafts and gearbox problems, we had a long debate about this some time ago.

Mike

Mike.

That is a promise. I also have photographs of a Scammel Grave Yard in Kuwait. They were all ex Kuwait Army and they had been dismantled.

Spent 7 years in Ukraine and Russia and have lots of photographs of Missile transporters and other equipment.

Regards

Sean

• 7 months later...

Hi John, looks like a good project, my old one is buried in this thread somewhere but here it is on CCMV http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p411439082/h2e0b3959#h2e0b3959

A 35t Crusader 5th wheel will fit fine, only the release handle is different. I can provide a rough sketch of the mounting adaptor if you don't have one.

Has the rear crossmember been removed, I can't see the towing eye and winch rollers?

Hi John, looks like a good project, my old one is buried in this thread somewhere but here it is on CCMV http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p411439082/h2e0b3959#h2e0b3959

A 35t Crusader 5th wheel will fit fine, only the release handle is different. I can provide a rough sketch of the mounting adaptor if you don't have one.

Has the rear crossmember been removed, I can't see the towing eye and winch rollers?

hi radiomike, i have sourced the correct 5th wheel with bed plate that will go straight on the chassis, rear crossmember is missing along with the winch rollers which i will have to find for it or fabricate another one so if anybody has one laying around i would be interested.

• 6 months later...
A steep hill in Cae Harris, S Wales causes problems for a Cementation drilling rig. Policeman stands guard to make sure Andyfowler and Daisy don't run off with it (although I think it would have been moved by now…).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102339[/ATTACH]

Ouch ! Lucky that was a well built wall ! :D

• 2 months later...
Link not working for me Andy? Just curious to look further :D

Scott

Hi Scott , the link is to the chap who is saving her's facebook page , I just thought the more who see it the more chance of some help with parts for him ! Best wishes Andy :-)