Scammell Constructor Gallery.

Catweazle and Kewelde so far, interesting - anyone else thinking of poking fun at the Constructor's abilities?

I'll be happy to accept a pint off both of you should you care to post a retract statement to restore the honour of Scammell, but -

should you force me to publish an axle loading diagram (showing the effect of the homemade underlift unit :cool2:), then I'll be looking to let some tyres down..........

How about we have a poll on this one?

Oh, here is another pic (forum crash victim) of Scammell man Peter Court and his dogs, Sammy and (?) standing in front of "AVONHILL", an ex 30T tractor unit and one of his favourites. He fitted the lift arms off a giant wheel loader as a spade - the biggest spade I've seen!

P Court 01.jpg

Catweazle and Kewelde so far, interesting - anyone else thinking of poking fun at the Constructor's abilities?

I'll be happy to accept a pint off both of you should you care to post a retract statement to retsore the honour of Scammell,

Oh dear :(........ sorry to upset you. I have always been a Scammell enthusiast, right from the late 50's when I took delivery of a new Explorer recovery, straight out of the box ( Dinky Toy :-D). Around about 1961, I was taken to a local barracks for a RASC open day, there was an Explorer there and I was allowed in the cab........little was I to know that about 13 years later, I would be working on them and driving them. Great vehicles and I have had experience of Pioneer, Crusader and S26 as well, although the later two are not in the same class as the others.

Just remembered, I was a member of the Scammell Spotters Club in the 60's as well......still got the badge and book they sent me :)

Like to have seen the Constructor pulling that artic though, whatever size it was :tup::

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Catweazle and Kewelde so far, interesting - anyone How about we have a poll on this one?!

How about We re create it at the GDSF any idea why he never used it again,wasnt broke was it.I pulled an artic out of the underpass on the a3 for the police in the L/R and the following week broke the halfshaft in a mudhole and it was a s1 h/shaft not one of those butter bars they fitted in the later vehilcles.We did think of marketing a half shaft dispencer for over landers,and velcro fastenings for the floors seeing as you have to have the g/box out every five minutes.sorry off topic again.Scammells yes lovely things:-D:-D:-D

I pulled an artic out of the underpass on the a3 for the police in the L/R and the following week broke the halfshaft in a mudhole

Off topic...........but.........I pulled a Freightliner artic out of the mud at Beltring with my QL.....broke the tow rope the first attempt. Also it towed a loaded DAF 95 low loader across a muddy field at Goodwood once.....so it is amazing what you can move with a smaller vehicle.

Back to Scammells, does anyone remember this Constructor, it was on the 1990 Guernsey Liberation tour?

Constructor.jpg

[so it is amazing what you can move with a smaller vehicle.?

I agree when the wheels are turning.:-D

Scammell man Peter Court and his dogs, Sammy and (?) standing in front of "AVONHILL", an ex 30T tractor unit and one of his favourites. I've seen!

Now you have posted that picture ,you were right i do remember him.old fashioned gent,wonder where he is now.

Oh, here is another pic (forum crash victim) of Scammell man Peter Court and his dogs, Sammy and (?) standing in front of "AVONHILL", an ex 30T tractor unit and one of his favourites. He fitted the lift arms off a giant wheel loader as a spade - the biggest spade I've seen!

Now that brings back memories - Peter donated the fifth wheel mounting bracket from this one to complete mine, and a 35t Crusader donated its fifth wheel. I ended up selling it to David Crouch as a flatpack kit including 11 brand new tyres, but he sold it on to a recovery operator in Market Deeping once he had finished it. Does anyone know where it is now? Chassis was 9281, Military reg was 83BL02.

I think you will find Avonhill was Peter's company name.

Mike

Some amazing feats coming out!

Here is the artic dragging explanation - sketch attached.

If all wheels locked, it is like 2 trucks having a tug of war. The top sketch shows a Constructor of 30T pulling against an artic of 42T. The artic will win :(

If the artic was rolling, i.e. brakes off, even Degsy's Lucas service landrover might be in with a chance :-D

With the underlift deployed, 8T from the artic's front axle is transferred to the Constructor rear bogie (4T + 4T) and at the same time the Constructor's front axle is relieved of some weight (say 4T). Whatever, there is now 38T on 3 axles pulling against 34T on 4 axles of the artic, so Constructor wins, even with a bit more friction from artic's extra axle.

I'm still going to let your tyres down, Catweazle :cool2:. Respect to Kewelde :thumbsup:.

Constructor was good for 100T so Scammell reckoned. M.O.D. thought they knew better, hence Antar :confused:

Axle Loadings.jpg

Chubbock never used the Constructor 'cos he was still coping with his 680 powered Explorer. After I mentioned it to another recovery man it mysteriously ended up in his yard for a time...don't know where it is now (it was orange with a home-made underlift).

:shocked:Cheat,going off to buy pre war vehicle with solid tyres.We are to old to be up this late go to bed.

:shocked:Cheat,going off to buy pre war vehicle with solid tyres.We are to old to be up this late go to bed.

Me cheat?

P.S. Washed some clothes Friday after a slight diesel spill. Everything that's been through washing machine and dryer since has a slight "whiff" to it. Have you been there, and what is the solution (other than not going to bed......)

Now that brings back memories - Peter donated the fifth wheel mounting bracket from this one to complete mine, and a 35t Crusader donated its fifth wheel. I ended up selling it to David Crouch as a flatpack kit including 11 brand new tyres, but he sold it on to a recovery operator in Market Deeping once he had finished it. Does anyone know where it is now? Chassis was 9281, Military reg was 83BL02.

I think you will find Avonhill was Peter's company name.

Mike

Never mind all that scribble, what was Peter's other dog's name?

Me cheat?

P.S. Washed some clothes Friday after a slight diesel spill. Everything that's been through washing machine and dryer since has a slight "whiff" to it. Have you been there, and what is the solution (other than not going to bed......)

Best solution............use the whiffy clothes for cleaning cloths. I once got soaked in Diesel after an "incident" and never did get the smell out of my jeans.

Never mind all that scribble, what was Peter's other dog's name?

Sorry, that's not fair. So many of these vehicles end up "disappearing" without trace, lets hope it has been saved or is still working like 'Mr. Shifter'.

Any news of Peter Court? He was responsible for saving a good many Scammells from the melting pot.

Me cheat?

You,ll get used to it after a while, mine have always smelt of a mixture of diesel and old oil but I've been immune to it for years and when you get to my age your long past the time of worrying about what other people think:-D

Picture of Peter Courts Constructor found on internet ! Beautifull Beast !

You're not wrong there, Andy - I went to Banbury with the intention of buying it and only just escaped (tin worm in cab amongst other things). But I did return 2 weeks later for the RAF one :banana:

That pic was taken at Crouch's yard - he had it from Peter, but where is it now I wonder?