Scammell Constructor Gallery.

This is what they actually did in the British Army, hauling heavy plant for the Royal Engineers NOT transporting tanks as many people would have you believe. Not quite as glamorous but lets stick to the facts.

sc002473e5.jpg

There are two unusual things about this ex forces 20T Constructor -

1) The front end restyling

2) Believe it or not, it is still in service - currently at J6 of M1 for the widening scheme works. Had to park and run up the slip road to grab this shot yeaterday, sadly I could not find any staff to get any info. The lifting gear is a twin boom Holmes arrangement, same as Diamond T.

About 10 years ago I saw possibly the same truck at their Sandy depot, still with cycle front wings, though I thought at the time it was a civilian model. Can anyone shed any light on this / these trucks?

Mr. Shifter.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

I once went to see a 30T Constructor tractor with home-made recovery boom owned by a Norfolk recovery operator.

He told me he'd been caught in a traffic jam and had seen it drag a fully laden artic, with all brakes locked, off the M11 in Essex. He was so impressed he bought it there and then. As it turned out he did nothing with it, and it has since been sold on.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I once went to see a 30T Constructor tractor with home-made recovery boom owned by a Norfolk recovery operator.

He told me he'd been caught in a traffic jam and had seen it drag a fully laden artic, with all brakes locked, off the M11 in Essex. He was so impressed he bought it there and then. As it turned out he did nothing with it, and it has since been sold on.

I want what ever he was drinking:rofl: