Jump to content
AndyFowler

Scammell Pioneer Gallery

Recommended Posts

Does any one have a good photo of a Scammell Pioneer doing a suspended tow of an Army lorry, a side on view would be great to help with my next poject.

Dizzy-t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Does any one have a good photo of a Scammell Pioneer doing a suspended tow of an Army lorry, a side on view would be great to help with my next poject.

Dizzy-t

 

Close but not close enough lol

2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Afternoon all,

 

I have a question for anyone who has taken the heads off their Pioneer.

 

How did you get a torque wrench on the head nuts under the decompressor shaft to do them up again? Apparently there is a special tool, but its £75 + VAT from Gardner Marine.

 

Any pointers gratefully received.

 

Richard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Richard,

When doing my heads I put one end of the spanner over the bolt, then used a hex socket in the other end and use my torque wrench to torque the bolt through the spanner? There is a conversion for the torque rating relating to the length of the spanner, or centre of head stud to centre of Hex Socket. Can,t remember what it is . Sure it is on this Forum somewhere.

 

Bryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

please  what is the scammell pioneer 80 tonner? is there another name? is there any pictures ? where could I find more détails on this version? thank you very much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2017 at 7:54 AM, 70HONEYMONSTER said:

Hi Richard,

When doing my heads I put one end of the spanner over the bolt, then used a hex socket in the other end and use my torque wrench to torque the bolt through the spanner? There is a conversion for the torque rating relating to the length of the spanner, or centre of head stud to centre of Hex Socket. Can,t remember what it is . Sure it is on this Forum somewhere.

 

Bryan

Where:

  • M1 is the torque setting of the wrench
  • M2 is the actual torque applied to the nut
  • L1 is the normal length of the wrench
  • L2 is the extended length of the wrench

M1 = M2 x L1 / L2

This works where the extension is inline with the torque wrench.

There's also a set of calculators at: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/renderers/torquewrench/wrench_formula_main_en.asp    , for the more awkward setups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2019 at 3:48 PM, eben75 said:

please  what is the scammell pioneer 80 tonner? is there another name? is there any pictures ? where could I find more détails on this version? thank you very much

The Scammell 80 tonner is post war civilian tractor unit used by heavy haulers. It resembles the tank transporter 

Hu05369.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Niels v said:

The Scammell 80 tonner is post war civilian tractor unit used by heavy haulers. It resembles the tank transporter 

Hu05369.jpg

I can just about remember massive ships engines coming out of Kincaid's in Greenock for Scotts or Lithgows shipyards towed by these units.  It would be late 60's I suppose but they used Pickford's with Scammell tractors. I'm sure there must be pictures of them around. To a kid they looked absolutely enormous.

Iain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comical to think they only had 112bhp from a 6LW, about the same as a modern 600cc sports bike.

They were so low geared that when Sunters used theirs to assist two other tractors with the Bradwell boilers the Pioneer started in 2nd gear while the others used 1st. Top speed was 18mph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 A very rare picture of the Royal navy Scammell, currency of Les Freathy

70703413_1345460368968482_1866160098951299072_n.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Niels v said:
 A very rare picture of the Royal navy Scammell, currency of Les Freathy

It's IWM photo A10123.  Other photos of the trailer type include A20204 and A28438 :

 

A20204.jpg

A28438.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

..... does anyone know anything about this one ? - it is the one that my mates dad had when I was growing up, it was used for clearing hedges and pulling stumps and was shown at vintage events in SE Cornwall in the late 70s and early 80s - I found out today that is at the Cornwall at War museum on the old Davidstow airfield in NE Cornwall - found this and a few more pics searching for Davidstow Museum on a Google images search - looks like a non standard crane ?

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rowehillmaster said:

..... does anyone know anything about this one ? - it is the one that my mates dad had when I was growing up, it was used for clearing hedges and pulling stumps and was shown at vintage events in SE Cornwall in the late 70s and early 80s - I found out today that is at the Cornwall at War museum on the old Davidstow airfield in NE Cornwall - found this and a few more pics searching for Davidstow Museum on a Google images search - looks like a non standard crane ?

image.jpeg

It looks like a tank transporter tractor by its wheelbase and extended cab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep that’s a tank transporter with “home made” crane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...