Scammell Pioneer Gallery

9de68b183abe9fc6ca6a56ca08366921.jpg

Don't suppose there's many of these around now, TRMU 20 rather than the more common (if you can call them common!) TRMU 30. Apparently this machine saw little or no action during the war as its 20ton rating was insufficient to pull the tanks which were growing increasingly heavier. It spent all its civilian life working for R Edwards the showmen of Swindon until laid up in 1971. Engine now rebuilt and front of cab replaced, just needs finishing....

I read earlier some dicussion on the gearing/final drive of these machines (tank transporters), they were indeed different to the recovery/artillery Pioneers. The same engine (Gardner 6LW) and gearbox (6 speed "crash box") is used but an entirely different rear axle with lower final drive ratio. Even the walking beams/hubs are different. They use 15.00X20 tyres on the rear as opposed to the recovery/artillery which use 14.00X20. This machine as previously mentioned is the 20 ton model tank transporter, identifiable by the 8 stud fron wheels and should have 10.50X20 tyres. Top speed 18mph!

I visited an MV collector called Jeff Williams from Gloucester early part of this year and he had FUF 47 for sale at 6.5K. He said he bought it to shift his 432 around, but has since bought a Reo. I've got loads more pictures and info if anyone is interested.

The other picture is of the SV2S pictured at the beginning of the thread. I saw it at Hatherliegh, North Devon a year or so ago and it was owned by a Mike Harris who used to live near Heathrow and bought an old wayside garage in North Devon. Interestingly, the Scammel has a Cornish registration so it's obviously done the rounds. Again, I've got loads more detail pictures if anyone is interested.

S0001.jpg

P0001.jpg

I've got loads more detail pictures if anyone is interested.

We're all interested !!! Thank you for sharing 'photos you've already posted. Looking forward to seeing many more when you have the time. Thanks.

Edited by 6 X 6

Had a chance to look at the red Booths L10 engined Explorer yet Andy?

Would love a picture of the bell housing, etc. if you could manage it

mate!

ill see wot i can do bernard i know graham booth well ill be down dorset tonite if all goes to plan