Scammell Pioneer Gallery

I heard of a Pioneer Tank Transporter recently, and was told that it had to go, and that it would otherwise be scrapped. I hate to hear of things like that, so rushed off to look at it. I made what I thought was a reasonable offer, bearing in mind the alternative was scrapping it, only to be told the following that it was worth at least 3 times what I offered. It took 20 minute to hack through the brambles to get to it, it hadn't moved for 20 years, and for 10 years prior to that, and was sitting outside. I'll try to get hold of some photos of it that a friend took at the time.

I don't know if it has gone, but having put my Explorer together from a large pile of parts, I think I have a realistic idea of what a vehicle is worth, and how much it costs to put one back together, not counting time and effort. I only hope it has been saved as it was mostly there, less the trailer coupling, and could be an excellent project for someone.

Jules

Another sad story Jules indeed. As Jimh stated in a previous post, sometimes people do have a genuine reason for holding onto them as they are planning to restore them at sometime in the near future.

But examples like Jules story prove true about Jimh's other two points that the owner probably has no intention of ever doing anything with it.

Often wondered. From personal experience they usually fit into one of these categories:

1. Going to do something with it one day. This may be genuine and most of us have a pending file.

2. Think it is worth a fortune. Given the number of people who have made enquiries the thing must be worth a lot of money. I've never looked at what a good one sells for or how many there are but I'm pretty sure that it'smy pension.

3. The p*ssed off brigade. This one is surprisingly common. Mostly they are sick to the back teeth of people coming and asking to sell it they've just decided to let it rot into the weeds. There is a sub-classification in this group of those who are sick to the back teeth of people offering to buy it then delivering a long list of reasons why it is worthless and not particularly special. Unfortunately the prospective seller does know something about the vehicle and does know what they sell for and they get to the point that they decide to just let it rot into the weeds.

I think you've summed it up very well.

1. Going to do something with it one day. This may be genuine and most of us have a pending file.

Exactly, this the daydreamers category. Can you blame someone for holding on to a vehicle which they have fond memories of, or dream of restoring it one day?

Decades ago I ran into a guy who had a barn full of 1940s and 1950s cars. None of them restored. He actively sought and bought them, then brought them to his barn where he stored them. Out the back he had a scrap yard full of 40s and 50s cars, most rotted beyond recovery. None of them were restored. Only after his death his sons started selling off his vehicles, including a Kettenkrad, which is why I was in his barn. Luckily he left the best vehicles in his barn, so a number of them survived to be restored another day.

- Hanno

(who still has his tatty 1965 Beetle in a garage, which he is going "to do up" one day . . . . ;) )

Edited by mcspool

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Can you blame someone for holding on to a vehicle which they have fond memories of, or dream of restoring it one day?

I know a bloke with a boat like that :-D

FGSCA1.jpg

FGSCA2.jpg

The top picture was taken some time ago because thats me in the pioneer aged about 13 .The Foden on tow is Lord Morrison the ex Billy Smarts circus generating set . It is owned by Alan Wilson from Daventry Northants and was collected from Billy Smarts yard at Winkfield by my father with his Scammell Trunker low loader .

The top picture was taken some time ago because thats me in the pioneer aged about 13 .

As soon as I saw that photograph I thought, "that young'n don't 'alf look like nptimber". Seriously, thank you for bringing this wonderful photograph alive. As daz76 says, it makes all the difference knowing a bit of background. :thumbsup:

Something a bit different, I noticed these two on the sides of a couple of the modern recovery lorries at Belvoir Castle Steam Show at the weekend. Anybody on here every seen them before ?

012.jpg

021.jpg

Earlier on in this thread there was some mention of tank transporters(20 & 30 ton) . I remember a few years ago there was an immaculate TRMU30 with trailer on the show scene with a BMP1 bolted to the back , it was at the shows for a couple of years then went up for sale and disapeared, Is it still around or even still in this country? I attach the only photo of it I can find.

Richard

That belonged to roland Hopper of Safron Waldon in Essex, i think its at a museum in Belgum now.