Scammell Pioneer Gallery

A long time a ago I was offered this rather sad looking tank transporter. It ended its working life as a snow plough for a west country borough council. I tried to go and see it but before I could it was apparently sold anyone know what happened to it?

When is was used as a snow plough, as the top speed is only 15 mph would the snow not fall faster behind it than it was being cleared in front of it?:shake::-D:-D:-D

No this one is owned by Terry Hounsell, that is how it came out of the army, and it has never been restored.

On another note, i've been looking at the wiring diagram for the pioneer breakdown. I'm no electrical expert but I can't make sense of the head light and some of the charging circuits. I haven't got as far as comparing it to what I actually took out of the vehicle, but any comment in the mean time would be appreciated.

Richard

Richard F i believe i promised to show this photo of the pioneer in use with E.A.R.A.T the east Anglian roadstone and transport co whilst on a road burning job in Townwall St Dover , at long last i have found said print im sure you will regonise the flats in the back ground as will many of you who have travelled abroad through the eastern docks. In the same theme a couple of road burners used by well known firm Glossop.

hmvf4.jpg

hmvf5.jpg

hmvf6.jpg

Richard F i believe i promised to show this photo of the pioneer in use with E.A.R.A.T the east Anglian roadstone and transport co whilst on a road burning job in Townwall St Dover , at long last i have found said print im sure you will regonise the flats in the back ground as will many of you who have travelled abroad through the eastern docks. In the same theme a couple of road burners used by well known firm Glossop.

Thanks Les :)

The EARAT Pioneer is not the one that operated around here that I recall, it was a gun tractor, with unaltered bodywork, just a large fuel tank in the back. Only wish I took photos in those days, have to rely on memories!

There was one of Glossops ex-tank transporter tractors in preservation with their livery, a few years ago, might be on of those in your photos.

Hi

I had a look at http://www.suezcanalzone.com/pics15.html, I found this picture, can it be a scammell Pioneer SV1S ore do I have to get my eyes checked :confused:

It could well be.

In fact, it could well be this actual Pioneer also shown on the same site. A fascinating site thanks for posting.

http://www.suezcanalzone.com/pics04.html

gal04_REME12.jpg

Edited by 6 X 6

It could well be.

In fact, it could well be this actual Pioneer also shown on the same site. A fascinating site thanks for posting.

http://www.suezcanalzone.com/pics04.html

gal04_REME12.jpg

Interesting those white wall tyres and the lugs on the rear rim, I think maybe this one has the Morris jib but is indistinct, the SV1 could not have the spare wheel there.

There is a pic of a crane truck and another Scammell on the site also with white wall tyres, can't seem to copy post them here though:confused:

There is a copy block on the page, so you can't right clik, I use the print screen button and then paste them into ms paint where I save the pictures from.

Is it this Thornycroft Amazon you are refering to,

Yes the spare wheel would prevent the use of the jib if it was a SV1S

amazon.JPG

Interesting those white wall tyres and the lugs on the rear rim, I think maybe this one has the Morris jib but is indistinct, the SV1 could not have the spare wheel there.

There is a pic of a crane truck and another Scammell on the site also with white wall tyres, can't seem to copy post them here though:confused:

This pioneer is one of a number built during late 1945 early 1946 they differed from the earlier built SV/2S pioneers with several modifications put in place to operate in Palestine. Lifting bollards where fitted to the hubs for easier handling when shipping .A larger belt driven compressor was fitted for towing tank transporter trailers for moving engineering plant and civil engineering supplies . A spare wheel carrier was fitted under the recovery jib. My pioneer chassis no 5917 H6229517, Madrats pioneer chassis no 6002 are both SV/2S pioneers from this this late build contract

Thanks ntimber, were learning all the time, still odd about the white wall tyres though.

I wouldn't have thought the white wall tyres were that odd. Look at the two dudes with that Scammell. Now do they really look like they take soldiering seriously.

I wouldn't mind betting they run a Taxi service with it at night. If you wanted some tank parts, nylons, chocolate.......... er.......... company for the evening........... you could bet your life that they would know where they could get it. The lugs on the rims are probably mountings for a propeller cone used a a flambouyant hub cap.

I bet they've even had that one tweaked by the locals so it does about fifty miles an hour. I doubt they even have recovery gear on there. The side boxes are probably full of contraband goodies.If someone breaks down, they would get someone else to do the recovery.

White wall tyres.............. says it all. :-D:rofl:

Ours is one of this late batch. Same things - capstans on the hubs and the uprated compressor. It is number 5964 which was apparently built under contract S9552 dated 14 June 1945. According to Mr Ware the registration numbers allocated were H6229118-6229317 but he could not say which chassis numbers (which ran from 5878 to 6027) these were allocated to.

There is already something wrong here because NPT's census number is H6229517 which falls outside the range stated above.

My head hurts.

NPT - how do you know what your census number was? Was it still on the vehicle when you got it or was there another way you found it. We've been assuming (in the absence of anything else) that the numbers ran consecutively. There are no traces of the census number left anywhere on ours.

The side boxes are probably full of contraband goodies.If someone breaks down, they would get someone else to do the recovery.

White wall tyres.............. says it all. :-D:rofl:

You may well be right there Will, I once had an ex REME chap looking at Forceful who said "We kept the off side long box empty for the NCO to sleep in, and the rest full of beer, that would get you out of trouble quicker than all that recovery kit, we slept on gun planks on top of the rear wheels"

Ours is one of this late batch. Same things - capstans on the hubs and the uprated compressor. It is number 5964 which was apparently built under contract S9552 dated 14 June 1945. According to Mr Ware the registration numbers allocated were H6229118-6229317 but he could not say which chassis numbers (which ran from 5878 to 6027) these were allocated to.

There is already something wrong here because NPT's census number is H6229517 which falls outside the range stated above.

My head hurts.

NPT - how do you know what your census number was? Was it still on the vehicle when you got it or was there another way you found it. We've been assuming (in the absence of anything else) that the numbers ran consecutively. There are no traces of the census number left anywhere on ours.

I have a copy of the key card for my scammell which i used as a reference .The key card was issued when the scammell was disposed of and states its original H number which is crossed out and replaced with its new number 34 YZ 16 it also states the last unit it served with which was 910 squadron R.C.T R.E.M.E workshops T.A . I also have a copy of the complete build list for contract s 9552 which i would send to you if you forward your address , i have sent a copy of this to madrat so he can date his scammell for registration purposes .I stated my cencus number as H6229517 this is wrong it is H6229157 please accept my apoligies for the confusion and your hurting head ! The list starts with chassis number 5878 and ends with chassis number 6027 so you and Mr Ware are right with your information.

CHASSIS NO 5917 DELIVERED 3 /9 /45

CHASSIS NO 5964 DELIVERED 25/10/45

CHASSIS NO 6002 DELIVERED 7/12/45

The first chassis number 5878 was delivered 30/6/45

The last chassis number 6027 was delivered 25/1/46

My head hurts.

Looking at key card again

CHASSIS NO 5911 H6229151 DELIVERED 21/8/45 CONTRACT S9552 161 INF WORKSHOPS R.E.M.E (T.A) SOLD 25/11/57 34 YZ 18

CHASSIS NO 5867 H6229107 34 YZ 19

CHASSIS NO 5871 H6229111 34 YZ 31

CHASSIS NO 5875 H6229115 34 YZ 30

This indicates that cencus numbers count up with chassis numbers ,but this is not the case with the post war YZ reg numbers.

NPT, you win this month's most helpful post award. You win one pint of a beer of your choice should we meet. Terms and conditions apply, see in store for details.

I'll PM you my address - if you could send me a copy of that contract list I'd be very grateful.