Scammell Pioneer Gallery

I was in Sheffield on Sunday and while driving around noticed a yard with some old lorries in it. I decided to stop and have a look and attached are two pics that I took on my phone. The yard was S Harrison & Sons and I think they are/were road hauliers.

I couldnt get any closer, but I'm sure that the white lorry is a Pioneer (without an engine I must add). There was also five Scammell Highwaymans in the open and also from what I could see at least two covered up along with an Albion which was in an open fronted shed.

DSC00144.jpg

DSC00145.jpg

I was in Sheffield on Sunday and while driving around noticed a yard with some old lorries in it. I decided to stop and have a look and attached are two pics that I took on my phone. The yard was S Harrison & Sons and I think they are/were road hauliers.

I couldnt get any closer, but I'm sure that the white lorry is a Pioneer (without an engine I must add). There was also five Scammell Highwaymans in the open and also from what I could see at least two covered up along with an Albion which was in an open fronted shed.

Yes quite right, they were road hauliers (dont know if they are still in business) and were famous for the fleet of Scammell Highwayman that they ran that were converted with a second steer axle to allow them to run at 32tonnes. I can remember coming down off Woodhead pass on a foggy morning in 1994 to be confronted by one of these contraptions fully freighted heading towards Manchester.

Yes quite right, they were road hauliers (dont know if they are still in business) and were famous for the fleet of Scammell Highwayman that they ran that were converted with a second steer axle to allow them to run at 32tonnes. I can remember coming down off Woodhead pass on a foggy morning in 1994 to be confronted by one of these contraptions fully freighted heading towards Manchester.

I think they are still going as they did have some 'newer' tractor units in the yard with a couple of trailers. Now you have mentioned the longer Scammell's I'm pretty sure that one of the Highwayman's that was converted was still there yesterday when I visited.

Even though the yard was open, due to there being a carwash on the front of it which wasn't connected to the yard as I did ask, I didn't feel it was right to go snooping around without asking the owners first. Would love to pay another visit one day.

There's a tidy looking Pioneer on Milweb if anybodys interested.

Think I saw this one advertised a while back but unfinished. Looks like it didn't sell then and the owner has completed the restoration now or at least painted it. The backdrop to the photo's just looks familiar from the previous ad I have in mind.

• 2 weeks later...
I've followed this thread and thought you might be interested in this!

This one looks abandoned and unloved and is lying in a chicken field by the A38 near Cullompton in Devon

F:\My Pictures\Scammell\In field\DSC00160.JPG

Not quite abandoned - its fired up now and again - to move the chicken sheds it shares the field with. Ex Weston Recovery of Weston Super Mare

Our 1942 SV2S prior to strip down for restoration, also a wreck mt brither looked at in Wales, restoration had been started but a marriage breakdown led to it being sold in bits, this one finally ended up on ebay and we have not heard of it since.

100_1991.jpg

100_2335.jpg