Scammell Pioneer Gallery

thats one on my list to look at just not had the time to go and look at it yet and to think there was two pionners just round the corner from me when i was a boy, i think they were an 80toner and a tank transporter.

Thought I'd posted these pictures of the Montys Pioneer before but can't find them now. May encourage or discourage you having a look. Got more if you want to see them.

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

I've got 100 or so pics of the one in Monte's, pm me if you need any... I've also heard it run, it was sweet!

I do hope it finds a home, would have been a much better bet than the one I bought but then I don't take the easy route!

Not being from that side of the Pond why does it carry two different licence plates on the front of the vehicle ???

Hey deuce,

809 XUP is most likely to be it's current UK registration number and 36 YZ 00 would most likely be it's old British Army registration number which is probably still stamped on it's brass chassis plate.

You often see British owned HVM's with UK reg. numbers made up 80 9X UP to look like army numbers. It's not legal, but we don't care.

I hope this answer is acceptable as I'm the only one on forum night shift until radiomike7 takes over. Cheers.

Thats fine Thought it might have something to do with its antique registeration and its current registeration , over here the plates would be completely different and obvious ie its old plate dated 19?? and its current dated 20??

So that you know absolutely everything that can possibly be known about British registration plates I should just add that if one owns a vehicle over a certain age, I think it may be, I say maybe, if the vehicle was manufactured pre 1960 and has never been registered before then you can apply for what is known as an age related plate. This means you will be issued with a three letter, three number plate for example, YSX 637, that can be displayed on your vintage vehicle in white numerals on a black background rather than having to use a modern, a much longer number, on a reflective yellow or white background that would look out of keeping on a vintage vehicle. Did you really want to know all that ? Probably not.

Sure all the ins and out's are of interest , I had seen mention of age related plates but not how they differed from regular or current plates . Each countries DMV as we call them here ...Department of Motor Vehicles or Registery of Motor Vehicles I m sure there are other titles , All of them have their unique rules and logic who's sole purpose is to cost you the most time and money , while at the same time appear to be helping you and keeping you from figuring out the rules.

In UK if the vehicle was used before either by the military of imported and you can prove to Drivers & Vehicle Licencensing Agency (Agency is British Political term, meaning we as tax payers have given them a pot of money to waste as they please) comonly D.V.L.A. that the age of manufacture is before intial registration, they will give an 'Age related' plate. UK V.I.N. Vehicle Index numbers, though now known as V.E.N. Vehicle Excise Number (How much money can we get out of you) stays with the vehicle for it's life, and shows the original year of registration. There is a market in 'personal' number plates, some make very stupid money. The V.L. 5 document, the document that registers the'Keeper' of the vehicle, ie those responsible for paying fines (See a pattern here?) will have marked on those issued for age related number 'Non Transferable'. For instance my 101 it's military number is 74 GJ 38 it was built 1977. When cast in 1999 if a new vehicle it would have 2 leters 02 (the new system is very confusing ) then 3 letters. As it could be shown it was manufactured in 1978 it got a registratio which was consitent for the pattern at the time YKO706S. It can be important as vehicles manufactured or registered before 1971 can claim Vehicle Excise Exemption. That is a whole new politaical boiling pot.

Edited by Tony B

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff!

That's the one from Montes in Durham.

I see it's come with the weights on the front. I was told they weren't there, I guess he's since found them which is a bonus.

I heard it running when I had a look although it did seem to be up and down on the revs as though the governer wasn't working correctly. I'm sure someone on here will know how to sort that out.

I seem to remember a lack of coolant in the radiator too.

There's been a few times over the past month of trials and tribulations with my Ward La France were i wondered if I'd made the right decision in buying it instead of the Scammell. Now at least I know I can't reverse my decision.

Good luck with the project.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier on in this thread there was some mention of tank transporters(20 & 30 ton) . I remember a few years ago there was an immaculate TRMU30 with trailer on the show scene with a BMP1 bolted to the back , it was at the shows for a couple of years then went up for sale and disapeared, Is it still around or even still in this country? I attach the only photo of it I can find.

Richard

Earlier on in this thread there was some mention of tank transporters(20 & 30 ton) . I remember a few years ago there was an immaculate TRMU30 with trailer on the show scene with a BMP1 bolted to the back , it was at the shows for a couple of years then went up for sale and disapeared, Is it still around or even still in this country? I attach the only photo of it I can find.

Richard

Yep, it was immaculate, I remember it was driven to the W&P show and arriving with all the rubbers missing from the Metalastic couplings, which were brass and all shiny with the wear! Seem to remember £15,000 was being asked for it, seems cheap now!

Yep, it was immaculate, I remember it was driven to the W&P show and arriving with all the rubbers missing from the Metalastic couplings, which were brass and all shiny with the wear! Seem to remember £15,000 was being asked for it, seems cheap now!

Is this the one that lived on the south coast, possibly near to Southampton? If so, I remember supplying a kit of parts to re-build the gearbox.