Scammell Pioneer Gallery

• 3 weeks later...
Scammell Pioneer Semiphore Arm

Question:- Does anybody know how the semiphore arm is rasied and lowered? Is it with a cable or solenoid? Any pictures and information would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Bryan

Bryan

Yes definitely cable operated i have a basically complete one on my tank transporter was going to get a couple made so i also had one for my recovery. Can send some pictures over at the weekend when i get back up the workshop

Richard

Hi Richard,

If you can get some made I think you will find quite high demand. I've got one original one but need at least two more and I know Jerry needs one for his tank transporter. I've got one that can be used as a template if needs be.

Cheers

Ed

Bryan

Yes definitely cable operated i have a basically complete one on my tank transporter was going to get a couple made so i also had one for my recovery. Can send some pictures over at the weekend when i get back up the workshop

Richard

Pictures would be great . Also maybe some sizes as I don,t have one to template.

Bryan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know what happened to the Pioneer that worked out of Half Moon Garage in Peters Green near Luton in the 70s the owner of the garage was a guy called Derek i think it was blue and had a pink elephant painted on the doors and jumbo written on the cab roof. My mini looked pretty daft hanging off the back of it after I pranged it on the way to work one Monday morning wish I had a picture.

• 2 months later...

Hi Alan

Yes I think there is abit of Scammell hibernation going on at the moment ;)

Well just to start things again, here is a picture of My Scammell doing what its build for, suspended towing of a CMP Chevy C30 that I had to move on the farm. The Scammell will be put to use again this weekend for some tree felling.

foto.JPG

• 1 month later...

SCAMMELL PIONEER SHOWMANS ROAD LOCOMOTIVE 7971 PJ

New HMVF Member Big Ben (QV his Introduction) is looking for the above Scammell Pioneer Road Locomotive,which used to be operated by Mitcham,London travelling showman,Patsy Gray.The Scammell used to pull part of the A78 Lakin

Coronation Ark Speedway Ride.

FODEN S20 K or FG6LX/24 FLAT-BODIED 8x4 LORRY,770 DOA,OLD FLAME.Friday,3rd February,1961,Birmingham.Now preserved by A and G Godsall,Herefordshire.This was the other lorrywhich transported part of the A78 Lakin Coronation Ark Speedway Ride,which was variously owned by Harry Gray,Patsy Gray,Roy Carter,Armroyd Lane,Harry Wigfield,then was exported to Canada,Conklin Shows and now number A78 is in the Toronto Reynolds-Alberta Museum,Alberta,Canada.

The above Foden:-

FODENS20ForKG6LX24FLAT-BODIED8x4LORRY770DOAOLDFLAMEFriday3rdFebruary1961BirminghamAandGGodsallHerefordshireEx-PatsyGrayfairg_zps73ce336b.jpg

The A78 Speedway Ride,the Scammell and Foden were sold to showman Roy Carter,of the Whitley Bay area,North East Yorkshire in 1971.

SCAMMELL PIONEER SV/2S SHOWMANS BALLAST DIESEL ROAD LOCOMOTIVE,7971 PJ,1963 Surrey-registered.Patsy Gray,Mitcham,London.Reproduced with permission of the University of Sheffield:-

SCAMMELLPIONEERSV2SSHOWMANSBALLASTDIESELROADLOCOMOTIVE7971PJ1963Surrey-registeredPatsyGrayMitchamLondonReproducedwithpermiss_zps9382e866.jpg

Scammell Pioneer Showmans Road Locomotive,7971 PJ.......where are you now?:-)

OSHKOSH

Edited by OSHKOSH

• 4 weeks later...

SCAMMELL PIONEER,Q781 CGY.

I don't think that this Scammell lorry is registered Q781 CGY now,it's probably been re-registered.Was this Scammell Pioneer in the process of being fully restored when the photograph,QV below,was taken?,since it appears that it's without it's recovery body and crane.

I have come across another photograph of this Scammell.It's in complete condition and appears to be in a museum.

SCAMMELL PIONEER SV/2S 6x4 HEAVY RECOVERY VEHICLE,Q781 CGY.H4259720. Photographed at Netley Marsh,near Totton and Southampton and close to the M27 and M271 Motorways:-

SCAMMELLPIONEERSV2S6x4HEAVYRECOVERYVEHICLEQ781CGYH4259720PhotographedatNetleyMarsh1_zpscc1dfef0.jpg

OSHKOSH

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...