Scammell Explorer fixes and workarounds

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I have finally got the stuck beam moving. I spoke to Chris Acock, among others, about it and Chris came up with the idea of taking the grease nipple out and setting up a drip feeder with thin oil. I developed the idea slightly and made a pressure feeder. (bottle scrounged by Adam Elsdon)

I half filled the bottle with a mix of 20/50 and WD40 and presurised it to 125psi so that it forces lube into the bearing as it moves and hopefully flushing the rubbish out of the bearing. It worked a treat, first time out, and this evening I was running it over a bit of wood with it moving quite smoothly.

img1097ez7.jpg

img1099qr4.jpg

img1093ej6.jpg

img1102ty1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Got an ignition problem with your magneto or your points distributor on your scammell meadows engine, well here is a good fix. After buying my scammell and driving it out of my work the first day of owning it, that night when i came to drive it in, it would not start i tried everything to get it running. In the end it had to be push into work after much thought i worked out that the magneto had packed in and no where to get one at that time so with a bit more thought finaly i worked out that good old britsh layland came to the rescue it now runs on a six cylinder 12v electronic ignition system with not much work

Picture 015.jpg

Last time I asked about the Scintilla magneto they were still available from Bosch for £1300 + vat.:shocked: The cap was £66 and a rotor arm £22.

The only good thing about the mag is that it is self contained and will get you home even if the batteries are flat. I always used to carry a good spare one ready timed up which I could have swapped over in 10 mins.

Last time I asked about the Scintilla magneto they were still available from Bosch for £1300 + vat.:shocked: The cap was £66 and a rotor arm £22.

The only good thing about the mag is that it is self contained and will get you home even if the batteries are flat. I always used to carry a good spare one ready timed up which I could have swapped over in 10 mins.

Got one in a cupboard, 50 miles on it,, for sale.

I have to run this ignition system now because of the lpg conversion i will post some pics of it later in the week 200 pounds worth of petrol in four week just backing in and out of the workshop i was going l10 cummins bought the engine and everything found out theres two bellhousing size types twin plate and a single plate clutch the turbos in the way of the steering the list goes on but if it isnt broke why fix it

I have to run this ignition system now because of the lpg conversion i will post some pics of it later in the week 200 pounds worth of petrol in four week just backing in and out of the workshop i was going l10 cummins bought the engine and everything found out theres two bellhousing size types twin plate and a single plate clutch the turbos in the way of the steering the list goes on but if it isnt broke why fix it

The Meadow engine has 2 timing marks on the flywheel, one for magneto, one for distributer, you are guessing in the dark as to what timing to use with LPG, and that's without going into advance and retard miss match stuff!

I ran mine with the Meadows in it for around 9 yrs, I loved that engine, I love that sound and I loved flexibility and smoothness, but in the end, because getting to the place I wanted to go to became more important, I fitted a Cummins L10.

It can and has been done (3 running around to my knowledge) just it takes a bit of savvy, if you really want to fit one I can recommend it 100%! I reckon 10-15 MPG and total reliability.

8-picture3.gif

Please don't let Andy Fowler see this post! :shake:

The Meadow engine has 2 timing marks on the flywheel, one for magneto, one for distributer, you are guessing in the dark as to what timing to use with LPG, and that's without going into advance and retard miss match stuff!

I ran mine with the Meadows in it for around 9 yrs, I loved that engine, I love that sound and I loved flexibility and smoothness, but in the end, because getting to the place I wanted to go to became more important, I fitted a Cummins L10.

It can and has been done (3 running around to my knowledge) just it takes a bit of savvy, if you really want to fit one I can recommend it 100%! I reckon 10-15 MPG and total reliability.

8-picture3.gif

Please don't let Andy Fowler see this post! :shake:

To late mate !:argh: