WWII Ambulance vehicles

abn deuce

Many different vehicles were used as need to carry wounded and medical supplies an example this GMC CCKW note the flag above the hood.

500913287_268e7e6a30.jpg

Point noted I have Corrected title of photo

In a village in ruins a GMC passes behind destroyed Panzer. It acts of Panzer IV of the 2 Panzer-Division (the three-pronged fork is visible on the frontal shielding side controls) formed part of the 8 Kompanie of Panzer Abteilung II of Panzer-Regiment 3 which blocked circulation with the crossroads of the center of Bridge-Farcy, it was pushed back on the other side of the crossroads. At the bottom a GMC 353 ensuring a medical mission (Red flag Cross) photo catch Bridge-Farcy between the 3 and August 5 44, the village is released on August 2 by the 35th Inf. Div. US.

Technically you are not allowed to have a red cross on your WWII or post war vehicle.

Do you mean the copyright bit? There has been a lot of fraught discussion over it. The International Red Cross are only worried about various scams perpetrated by those using the Red Cross to gain money fradulently. Basically the symbol was 'given' to the world by the founder's, so can't be copyrighted.

I posted a few notes on the display of the Red Cross on the forum some months ago.

Basically the display of the Red Cross on a HMV is a matter of the Government and not of the National Red Cross Society and, as long as the display is limited to participation in historic events and not everyday driving (I have two sets of doors for my Land Rover, one with the Red Cross to allow me to do my Sunday ride), there should be no problems.

I'll dig for the relevant posting, maybe a bit of rewriting would be nice to make it into FAQs.

Andrea

Hi Andrea, I'm in a bit of an odd situation in that the 101 is still classed in UK and equipped as an operational ambulance. It has a number of tax and MOT advatages, not to mention exemption from a number of toll charges.:cool2:

The crosses are only shown when she is 'on duty'. This is at shows and also equestrian events. She gets in where other ambulances can't.

The Dodge fills any role needed for the show, so she has run with red crosses atached as a 'medical vehicle'.

• 7 months later...

This is more like I had been looking for other vehicles than standard Ambulances being used to move wounded.Note the second vehicle White Halftrack .

"French troops supported by American tanks during the fighting of the Italian campaigns. Location: Italy Date taken: August 1944"

frenchtroopsItaly1944.jpg

This is more like I had been looking for other vehicles than standard Ambulances being used to move wounded.Note the second vehicle White Halftrack .

"French troops supported by American tanks during the fighting of the Italian campaigns. Location: Italy Date taken: August 1944"

frenchtroopsItaly1944.jpg

Why park a tank in front of the hospital? :???

Half tracks were commonly used as ambulances by the Bri.tish

I am having a deja vu moment here because I am sure I have said it before.

The Airfix White M3 Halftrack comes with an optional "canvas tilt" piece to cover the back (omitting the Five-oh and mount), and Red Cross markings.

The Allies used a number of vehicles for ambulance and medical duties. The Dodge WC54, off course, but also the Dodge WC51 (able to carry 5 stretchers with some overhead cover for the patients). Dodge WC 62/63's were used to carry medical supplies, tents, etc. Halftracks were used as frontline ambulances when the Jeep ambulances offered too little protection. The Studebaker M29 Weasel was another makeshift ambulance.

Various aircraft were used in the evacuation role.

As always,

Boeing Stearman Kaydet medivac.jpg

Dodge WC51_Paris_1944_3A_552Q.jpg

GMC CCKW 353_whole blood refrig unit.jpg

Halftrack ambulance incl trailer.jpg

Normandy44-MedicalSchwimmwagen.jpg

These will be some of General Juin's mainly colonial troops who cut a swathe through Italy in more ways than one. The sp gun is a little gem. It's a Semovente, I think. I haven't had time to look it up and pretend I know what I am talking about.

The other set of snaps were missing when I wrote this - I am referring to the main snap, of course. Not the collection.

MB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Certainly, a considerable number of vehicles were used in the ambulance/medical role, either "off the hanger" or converted. I remember seeing an article in a German modelling magazine about a cabin being mounted on a US Army 2 1/2t truck in 1944, and used in the aid-post role. In fact I made an HO model based on it.

On the armoured front, the half-tracks were used by all the allies, and I believe Universal Carriers were in use by the New Zealanders in Italy.Other than that, there were limited numbers of M3 scout cars used in the ambulance role, and the Canadians had a couple of modified Chevrolerts (C15TA).The most types of armoured ambulances and ad-hoc conversions came from the Germans.

London buses still have a commitment to transport casualties. Last time was 11/07/2005

when I worked for PMT (Potteries Motor Traction, not the other!!!!) in the late 80's, early 90's, the management came round with a form asking for volunteers to drive buses removing population etc out of Stoke on Trent in times of tension.... had to decline that one! When asked why, I told them that whilst they would be driving to relative safety, I would be stuck in a hole waiting for the bomb to drop and then moniter the fallout etc!

Mark