Antar Gallery

Thank you for posting this 'photo. I was there buying bits about 7 or 8 years ago when, as you may remember, the Hunts were gradually clearing their yard with a view to selling it to developers. Jacob Hunt was a real gentleman and charming to deal with. I didn't meet his brother Joe who was seriously ill with cancer. Apart from the Antars being there, I seem to remember quite a few other interesting MV's, either complete vehicles, or just the remains of. I may be wrong, but I doubt if much was saved.

I have a load of photos from there. We went to look round when it was being cleared after one or both of the brothers had died. I was interested in the ex-Billy Smart's Mack but it was too far gone. The pictures don't seem to translate very well into digital format so if someone can PM me how to do a better job of it I'll post them up. There's Humber trucks, Martians, Thorneycroft Big Bens, Militants, Green Goddesses, fire crash trucks, CMPs, Austins, GMCs... all sorts of stuff.:cry: I've also got photos from Charlie Russell's and Main's of Benson (Oxon.)

What do you propose for a tug of war, I weigh 32.5 Tons with the Antar, with 25 tons on the driving axles and 300 BHP Rolls Royce C6T...

He seems to be proposing me as competition. Best not though, I wouldn't want to embarrass you:whistle:.

Tony, come 'ere :n00b:!

What do you propose for a tug of war, I weigh 32.5 Tons with the Antar, with 25 tons on the driving axles and 300 BHP Rolls Royce C6T...

OK if your now just going to show off. :nono: The side of a house wouldn't be much of a challenge then?:-D

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

i Have 20 tons 850 hp 16 cyl.only problem is you will have to make yours float for a match.:-D:rofl:

There was a tug of war about 12 years ago at Beltring. The challenge was put down late the previous night between the legendary Recy Mech, Noddy.......and John Attlee.

The next morning they got the vehicles together with a straight bar, Noddy in a Foden-EKA recovery and John in his Antar. They had a little pull first off to get the feel. Noddy let John do the pulling first, then with an almighty tug from the Foden, it caught the Antar on the hop, causing its engine to counter rotate with a big cloud of black smoke through the air intakes :-D

Richard

challenge.jpg

There was a book written about the R-101 titled " The airman who would not die" written by John g. Fuller sbn 399-12264-8 1979

It details all the problems and delays of the construction of the airship the conflits of the engineers and the plans to fly the airship before it was ready for its fatal trip and the details of its crash from the evidence of the wreckage and through the words of psychic's whos statements of events its said could be confirmed by the wreck and logs written by the crew.

I reckon a mk3 Militant is a good match for my Antar, and I don't know which I would expect to win. Antar has 25 Tons on the two driving Axles, Mk3 has 23 Tons on three driving Axles. In the end its the weight on the driving axle that determines the outcome.

The Advantage that the Antar has is the Torque reaction tends to lift the undriven front axle, lightening it, and this results in more weight on the back driven bogey.

Thye Mk3, has the same torque reaction lightening the front axle and adding weiight to the rear bogey, but the total weight on driven axles remains the same... now of you could tug of war and use the Donaldson Reactor... that's a differnt story.

Thanks for a really interesting thread Mike, I worked for a few days nearby to those hangars when the what must have been the prototype Skyship 600 was undergoing trials, I was amazed at how it was being thrown around the sky as I had imagined airships to be unwealdy and ponderous, not so at all.

Cat,...whats going on with your posted pic's,.......keep comming up with a square photobucket message, image has been moved or deleted. :???

Dont know looking into it,cheers.

stammers202champ.jpg

anybody know where this might of been.B.A.O.R.?

German on the front of antar.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

stammers201champ.jpg

i know the signs are in english,but the lamps look foreign,on a camp maybe?

Re the location of the Antar picture.

The Mk1 and 11 and my Antar all use canvas radiator blinds. The german wording is painted onto this canvas.

On the Mk3 the Radiator grill had inbuilt Louvred shutters, and the Mk 3 normally carried warning signs painted on plywood, often on the cab roof.

If the removable (held on by a spring at each end) rad blind was painted, presumably even an Antar newly returned to britain, would break out and use the same rad muff if it was a cold morning. (and there appears to be lying snow in the foreground, most of the trees are bare and the Champ has doortops fitted)

I don't think the writing on the front necessarily means the Antar is in Germany, merely that it has visited there at some time in the past.

Edited by antarmike

Hi Mike thanks for info,i thought it all looked a bit odd,a bank and snack bar in the middle of nowhere,unless it was on a camp,and that lamp post never seen one like it anywhere,wheres all our ex baor squadies come on lads.

This location is easy, Thornycroft's Basingstoke factory.

0077a.jpg

The Antars are the first Batch to the RAF. They differ from Army spec mK1's by being able to winch forward. Note winch rollers under front Bumper. Note also some still await the "Antar" badge on the grill to be fitted...

One pic for the Archeology thread. Note the camoflage on the buildings...

Edited by antarmike

07-03-2008192103.jpg

I postted this one earlier. It had a Leyland 680 fitted, and I wondered why anyone would put such an underpowered lump in an Antar. I met the man who did it today. Apparently during the Three day week, he removed engines from all his unused vehicles to build generator sets, for local factories and farms who needed coonstant power. When the strikes were all over he was left with a field full on engineless vehicles and a fat wallet. He put any old engine back into a few of them, in the hope of moving them on and getting a bit of money back on the hulks,