Matador Gallery

Went yesterday,did you see the towing display,over two hundred ton of brit iron being towed at one stage !

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/100646892131776028079/albums/5894934120205082465?hl=en

Ron outve memory card before last pull,gutted

I did indeed, in fact I've just posted a picture up of one of todays smaller loads here: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?7057-Scammell-Explorer-Gallery&p=374305#post374305 :-D

I was having am browse through this thread and I thought this may be the right place to post these,[ATTACH=CONFIG]79032[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]79033[/ATTACH]

looking a bit sad, parked quietly in the middle of nowhere

Amazing to see that they are still out there just sitting around, thanks for posting.

Scott

• 1 month later...

Well, after a long time looking at rather knackered Matadors that had had a hard life in the woods and just missing a nice timber tractor I have managed to get hold of a Bus Recovery Matador with a gert big Harvey Frost on the back.

I don't know anything (yet) about its military career but it was with Central Scottish Busses, Dallas Recovery in Glasgow, the Beith Transport Museum and finally a field near Hereford before I got it.

Here it is as I bought it, the body frame is pretty rotten, panels coming loose but everything there.

tn_$T2eC16JHJGMFFpmL6eKiBR0JUt7bQw~~60_57.JPG

Handy workshop behind the cab:

tn_$(KGrHqJHJEUFGrjHTgftBR0JWoK1n!~~60_57.JPG

Stern warning about taking bulbs without permission:

tn_IMG_5097.JPG

That mystery object again

tn_IMG_5095.JPG

Cramped driving position, I need to lose weight:

tn_IMG_5098.JPG

Arriving

tn_IMG_5115.JPG

So far so good, unfortunately the brakes failed while it was in neutral resulting in an argument with a hedge,

It knocked a lump off the cab which I then ran over for good measure:

tn_IMG_5118.JPG

Safe at last!

tn_IMG_5126.JPG

It's a good runner and my plan is to strip the panels off and store them, sort out any mechanical issues then build a similar body incorporating elements of the existing (workshop roof panel and sliding cab doors) but make the sides stop at chassis level, remodel the front panel and perhaps fit drop-sides to the rear.

Edited by pc1959
Spelling!

I found a couple of pics of my old Matador here:

One AEC rescues another

It was in Green livery when I had it and had been sat for while. I had to replace the engine which had a crack the length of the block and had also "run away" when we tried to see if it would start. APart form a new cab pillar she was pretty sound. Hope she's still around, seemed to disappear after I sold her on.

I'm sure now that the mystery object is for dragging a bus sideways back onto the hardtop.

One person, (NOT me!) who was new to the job of bus driving got lost, we all do it. However! Rather than contacting the garage and owning up, they decided to turn the vehicle, a nearly new VERY expensive double decker Volvo, on the village green. Might have worked if it hadn't been for the weeks worth of rain before hand! ;)

By bolting onto a hub? That would make sense, not too many hard points on a bus. Not convinced about loading a bus onto a LR hardtop though.....:-D

It didn't look right when I posted it but I couldn't think what was wrong - now I can see i meant BLACKtop! :blush:

Undeniable that it looks wonderfully authentic in that livery. What are your plans for it. Keeping it in that scheme or back to original layout?

I love all the signwriting but I think the shape of the body, especially the cab, is a bit ugly.

I plan to carefully remove and preserve the original signwritten panels and then rebuild the body as a recovery truck with sides that don't go below the chassis and a nicer front end.

First job is to get the brakes working though........

I found a couple of pics of my old Matador here:

One AEC rescues another

It was in Green livery when I had it and had been sat for while. I had to replace the engine which had a crack the length of the block and had also "run away" when we tried to see if it would start. APart form a new cab pillar she was pretty sound. Hope she's still around, seemed to disappear after I sold her on.

Have you got a registration you could give us? A book published a couple of years ago all about Matador's lists quite a few survivors.

Hi,

I have looked in my copy of the book mentioned. All there is for LSU 304 is that it was with the bus companies Aldershot and District and then Alder Valley but nothing about subsequent owners.

Its an interesting book is well worth buying if you haven't already got it.

Regards

Ross