Matador Gallery

Yes indeed, John - although strictly speaking it shouldn't be referred to as such, and some folk are known to get quite tetchy when it is called a Matador 6x6! :mad:

It's real identity is 0854 whereas the 4x4 is a 0853, and it uses the double drive bogie from an AEC Marshall.

But to heck with the purists - as far as I'm concerned it will always be a Matador 6x6 :-D

Forgot to add - 6x6 were mainly aircraft refueling tankers, but a few were vans (mobile oxygen plant) and also carriers for Coles mobile cranes (solid beam bogie, no springs).

Edited by N.O.S.

Is this a member of the Matador family please? (Photographed at an air show at RAF Church Fenton in June 1980.)

John.

Thanks for sharing the picture. Although it's not to everyone's liking I do think it's good sometimes to see these vehicles in their out of service guise as many went to have long careers in showland etc. In fact at this year's Great Dorset Steam Fair there is a special gathering of these types of machines, with no doubt a lot having military connections.

Details can be found here:

http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=45874#entry206303

Many thanks for your replies, N.O.S. and Smithy. I remember seeing a black and white film which starred one of these AEC 6x6s. I can't recall the body that was fitted - what I remember most is seeing the drive train when the vehicle rolled over on its back. Can anybody recall the film's name, I wonder?

John.

• 4 weeks later...

Have roof not mounted, solar panels are waiting...

Here is pic of roof.

9033341dso.jpg

This was the original car, is called ADK70.

7229633hmn.jpg

The Crane was only 980km on road and 250 hours working as a crane.

Some gears near the weels has been changed, so now it runs 100km/h

4wd with possible lock both axles.

Engine 6500 ccm and 135 PS. 12 tons komplete, at the moment 6,6

Idea was born at Dorset Steam Fair, may be, some years later, i`ll be there again with the car.

Greetings

Tom

• 2 months later...

Hi there, a young mate of mine has just found and bought a Matador. Quite close to me so can pop and get pic's if intrested. At the mo. He is intrested in learning any of it's WWII history and military service post war. Has a load of history and doc's after release. For now a pic. of the origional chassis plate. Thanks for any help, I will pass on.

Jakes lorry (9) - Copy.JPG

Edited by airportable
Photo. failure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have joined the group today. I was on Google searching for pictures of AEC Matadors, as I am building a model of one, my grandfather owned two for years I was going to give him the model for Christmas. He ran them as timber tractors at his sawmill (Station Road Sawmills, Standford-in-the-Vale, Oxfordshire) I managed to find one of them today, RYS 893.

I am just looking for any other pictures of the vehicle before the current owner re-livered it to D.Fleet & Sons. I was wondering if anyone had any. I have very hazy memories of the Matador as I was only about 8 when it was sold. I think it was blue, with red bumpers and had a very basic a frame on the back. Most of all I just remember it being the coolest vehicle I had ever seen when I was little. I have got my mother routing out pictures at his house (obviously I can't ask him). It was used by Station Road Sawmills and I think it was displayed at Newbury Show/Royal Berkshire Show in the late 80's/early 90's.

Anyway I stumbled across this forum, and there seems to be an entire world of ridiculously knowledgeable people who have more pictures that I can ever imagine of Matadors.

It is lovely to find such a dedicated bunch of people that are keeping such interesting vehicles alive!

Many Thanks in advance!

Duncan

Hi,

I have joined the group today. I was on Google searching for pictures of AEC Matadors, as I am building a model of one, my grandfather owned two for years I was going to give him the model for Christmas. He ran them as timber tractors at his sawmill (Station Road Sawmills, Standford-in-the-Vale, Oxfordshire) I managed to find one of them today, RYS 893.

I am just looking for any other pictures of the vehicle before the current owner re-livered it to D.Fleet & Sons. I was wondering if anyone had any. I have very hazy memories of the Matador as I was only about 8 when it was sold. I think it was blue, with red bumpers and had a very basic a frame on the back. Most of all I just remember it being the coolest vehicle I had ever seen when I was little. I have got my mother routing out pictures at his house (obviously I can't ask him). It was used by Station Road Sawmills and I think it was displayed at Newbury Show/Royal Berkshire Show in the late 80's/early 90's.

Anyway I stumbled across this forum, and there seems to be an entire world of ridiculously knowledgeable people who have more pictures that I can ever imagine of Matadors.

It is lovely to find such a dedicated bunch of people that are keeping such interesting vehicles alive!

Many Thanks in advance!

Duncan

Hi there,

Doug Fleet is a good friend of mine and I am pleased to say the matador is in good hands and does many miles on the road each year, we do a fair few shows together. If you are interested I can put you in touch.

Kind regards

Matt

Hi Matt,

That would be fantastic! It is brilliant to hear that the mat is getting out and being used regularly. It would be brilliant to come to one of the shows and bring my grandfather along to reunite him with it maybe next year sometime.

If you want to personal message me Doug's details that would be brilliant.

Thanks so much for replying and being so helpful. It is great to see there is such a close knit and friendly community around the vehicles.

Thanks again,

Duncan

hiya duncun i have had the matador for 10 years now. when i got it it had a bedford mj body on it . i converted it back to timber tractor . yes i found some blue paint on it when we repainted it . i would love to have any copys of any photos that you find of it . she is now based in essex. i brought it off a man called ray colington from bracknel. e mail address is matador5@blueyonder.co.uk.

Doug,

Thanks so much for the info, it is great to hear that she is still going strong and that my memories were correct on the colour front. My mum is due to have another proper look tomorrow night, if that bears fruit I'll scan the pictures in and send them over to you. Once christmas is over I am only too happy to get my grandfather to answer any questions you might have on the mat too. He absolutely loved that lorry, so I'm sure he'll know the answers to anything you may want to know.

My e-mail is duncanrs@outlook.com

Cheers again,

Duncan

• 6 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know who owns this Matador, as I'm interested in speaking to them.

Thanks

Nick

In the programme it was listed as belonging to a Mr D Ludlam of Temple Normanton, Derbyshire. Don't know if this helps Nick.

Scott