Matador Gallery

Here are a couple of my toys to add to this thread...:D

First one is an Ex Wynns Heavy Haulage (Engineering Ltd ) BDW 219B - date built as June 1940 and the earlier army identities as H41336** and 1745785 (photo from when it was with Wynns in its earlier days). No doubt a few of you may have seen it around at rallies. Bought it back in 2007 and have fitted it with a Duramin Cab which came off another Matador I originally bought/rescued out of a farmers field - but that turned out to be too far gone so robbed the cab off it and sold it on.

The Duramin Cab was originally made for B&J Davis (Bucknell) by the Duramin Engineering Company and is an absolute perfect fit as I found out when fitting it to the Wynns Matador (Still got the orignal Wynns Cab but it needs so much work and not so good with timber as I am with metal:embarrassed:)

The last one is now sat waiting for me to start on it out in the field, but I don't know too much about this one yet. I think its a 1939 built one and as far as I can tell the chassis number is 0853549 so I stand corrected if anyone knows anything else, so far I have only taken the cab and crane off and probably won't start this until next year(ish) now though as the explorer is next:blush:

DSC00653 comp.JPG

DSC00891 comp.jpg

DSC00926 comp.jpg

DSC01288 comp.JPG

DSC02771 comp.JPG

matador comp.jpg

03102006009 comp.jpg

03102006011 comp.jpg

00 266 comp.jpg

DSC02960 comp.jpg

Yes that's right... They were all were sold at auction a while after, we bought it off the chap who bought it from the auction, haven't got a clue where the other one went apparently they managed to get that one going?? - ours however not a hope it was so badly seized - we spent days over there trying to get it to run but then once we got it home it was really quite bad so made the decision to just keep the cab. They had been stood there for about 15 years we think?

Was I dreaming or was someone on here trying to track the fate of as many Matadors as possible a while back ?....A Matador register sort of thing ? If I'm right then I have info on one that I accidentally killed.

Having been searching for it for some weeks, I finally found the chassis info plate of the Matador that I rolled over on the M5 motorway in 1976. She was ex RAF I believe (so I was told by fellow mechanics) converted to a wrecker, usual stuff, Harvey Frost hand wound crane, aluminium & timber fairground style bodywork.

I'd been out of the army for about 6 months & married for the same length of time when the garage I was working at sent me out on a recovery job in said beastie. Downhill with a tail wind she would do 48mph (not bad eh ?) but when the NSF tyre blew out & ripped the steering wheel out of my hand it was less than funny. She took me up the embankment & rolled over. Kept running upside down though, & it was the hot oil & coolant running over me that bought me round....whereupon I exited via the side window, bruised but otherwise unharmed.

She was......03 YZ 15 chassis number 08531239, overhauled 5/54, M.T.R.S NoB403 (R.I.P)

H

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The matador you are looking for is now owned by my brother it was bought a couple of years ago from a timber contractor who had bought it from some new age travellers ,it was fitted with a new engine by jack henley some years ago but this had suffered from a cracked cylinder liner all parts have been found for its repair and it will be moved to the workshop soon to start the work, it is still in henley livery complete with recovery crane and will be restored the same hope this helps ben freer

a couple of photos from the yard, Joe

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The Henley one still looks very nice- glad it's to be sorted.

Didn't realise Moss had one Dick- will have to go find it! They had a couple of Land Rovers at GDSF.

Have just returned from the Malvern Show, have another Matador to put on sometime, when I have downloaded the photos, this one was very nice Timber Tractor, they seem to be coming out of the woodwork (sorry). I realy must go to the Land-Rover section at GDSF next year, I was in such a hurry to get to the DHH section that I missed all the LR's, apart from PJO 549. :writing::drive::drive:

• 4 weeks later...