Humber PIG Pictures

13BK76

For those trying to follow this thread, here is the repro tool & the way it should be used in the RR handbook.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107420[/ATTACH]

Hi Clive,

Here is a photo of my locking tool, it was supplied by RR, jaws look parallel, where your repro tool appears to have opened up. I checked the hardness of mine and it was on a par with a normal spanner, so think that is why you had trouble with it.

Have a good time at the show.

cheers Richard

RR tool.JPG

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes yours looks better. Trouble is I bought it a couple of years ago on e bay to have it in readiness. I had to wait a couple weeks so I think it was made to order. Looked again but not currently being advertised.

Does anyone have any info on 03bk20 for sale on Milweb?

Nigel.

It is just possible given the age of current ownership that this is the one which was painted in curious crazy paving brown and cream pattern for reasons I could never grasp. It seemed to run well and did a lot of shows in the south but the tyres were truck tyres they were not run flats.

It is just possible given the age of current ownership that this is the one which was painted in curious crazy paving brown and cream pattern for reasons I could never grasp. It seemed to run well and did a lot of shows in the south but the tyres were truck tyres they were not run flats.

Hi Clive

Looking back at earlier posts it looks like it used to belong to Adam Elkins.

Nigel.

This photo was taken for me by Phil Plumb a couple of years. Bit of a shame I've watched the fortunes of this one for over 30 years.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89247[/ATTACH]

I'm pleased to report that this Pig is now in private ownership and will be restored to its original condition. I was delighted to meet up with the new owner at GDSF and will be helping as best I can to give him the info to do this.

I'm pleased to report that this Pig is now in private ownership and will be restored to its original condition. I was delighted to meet up with the new owner at GDSF and will be helping as best I can to give him the info to do this.

Another one saved,that is good news.

Nigel.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From another thread

Hi Clive " the Oracle" my foaming pig is 10BK34 chassis number 21034. its funny to hear what some people do with vehicles! My pig will be restored with all it's foaming kit.

The give away on the converted No.3 Foamer was that there was a reason why there was no barricade ram & the OS rear door had the panel welded up where the hydrant hoses connected. But there is a lot of ignorance about them many people get mixed up with Pig Squirt & in service there was a documentary a couple of years ago when an ATO was showing what they used to use & described how foam was blown out from the nozzle on the roof! As we know that was for the dispersant, so I don't know what he thought all the stuff at the front was for.

So you have run it up? Do you have the UHB?

App0595.jpg

I noticed that one of your Pigs is ex-RUC (2988 OI) re-registed as 27 BT 89 that started out as a 32 BK 58. Is there any chance of a few pictures of it especially the chassis plate & the cab plate?

From another thread

The give away on the converted No.3 Foamer was that there was a reason why there was no barricade ram & the OS rear door had the panel welded up where the hydrant hoses connected. But there is a lot of ignorance about them many people get mixed up with Pig Squirt & in service there was a documentary a couple of years ago when an ATO was showing what they used to use & described how foam was blown out from the nozzle on the roof! As we know that was for the dispersant, so I don't know what he thought all the stuff at the front was for.

So you have run it up? Do you have the UHB?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112817[/ATTACH]

I noticed that one of your Pigs is ex-RUC (2988 OI) re-registed as 27 BT 89 that started out as a 32 BK 58. Is there any chance of a few pictures of it especially the chassis plate & the cab plate?

Hi Clive i will have to have a look at the weekend, Scrap Humber 1604AMk1.jpgheres a few pictures you may have seen before, if not enjoy.

hedgerow humber.jpg

Humber Foaming.jpg

Humber softskin 2.jpg

321 EOD humber data.jpg

humber early armored.jpg

Humber soft skin 1.jpg

Humber Radio.jpg

That's a nice selection of Humbers, thank you. On "Humber softskin no.2" it has no sign of external turn lights unlike most that have various sized additions I think after leaving service.

In the cab of that particular one is there a turn light switch? Might sound a silly question as there are no external turn lights why would there be a switch?

Unlike GS Humbers that did not have turn lights, Pigs had separate turn lights (curiously 12v ones with resistors in a 24v vehicle!!)

But the FV1609A (originally designated Mk 1, as what are known as Mk 1 Pigs are actually Mk 2, & what we call Mk 2 should have been called Mk 3 but the Army forgot about the FV1609A as being the Mk 1) anyway these had a 24v turn light system that utilised the stop lights as indicators. This required an intricate bit of switching in the turn light & stop light circuits.

If you look on very early Humber CT circuits this same switching is present as the CT had "hidden" turn lights. When HMG wanted to save about £200 per vehicle they were re-assigned as GS doing away with unnecessaries. I believe the turn lights was one & another was the cab heater.

I have yet to find a GS that is still CT with a heater & these early turn lights. I am particularly interested in the turn switch as that should also have originally been in my FV1609A.

Always trying to tie up pictures with registrations, history & whether I have earlier pictures of them, have you got the registration of "humber early armoured" please?

On the OS wing does it say SN 2329? If so that would make it 23 BK 29 Mk 1 struck off in 1967.

The info board for 27 BK 17 yes is for a Mk 2 & that was struck off in 1992.

• 2 months later...

Nic looking very good & very unique (although I suppose it can't be more unique that just unique) Anyone know why it is bit more than just another Pig?

Thanks to the S6 thread I trawled around the Getty Images & found a picture of mine in service.

3248682a_zpsjjse7gba.jpg

Dscf3756b_zpsntsgexfs.jpg

• 1 year later...

It has been a while since this thread has been updated, and I know how Clive has a passion for the Humber Pig.

These are interesting the first is the Pig without wheels courtesy of Peter Barratt and the other is a trophy that someone may know more about.

Hope you enjoy these Clive an maybe they show something interesting.

humber pig irosh guards germany.jpg

Scrap Pig wheels off Peter Barratt.jpg

These are interesting the first is the Pig without wheels courtesy of Peter Barratt and the other is a trophy that someone may know more about.

Hope you enjoy these Clive an maybe they show something interesting.

Nice photo of the trailer side frame! Would that be a FV3621(A) Trailer 20 ton Low Loading? If so, it has a different side frame structure to the FV3621(A) Trailer 20 ton Low Loading shown in the Libya-Tripolitania thread, say page 6. Maybe there are more differences too, depending on the manufacturer?

19 BK 05 well we can see why it was struck off on 10/12/65 in BAOR

Despite that antenna base it is not FFR nor FFW. Curiously has an armoured extractor fan, these become more plentiful with more equipment, not a standard fitment on an APC. Its chum in front is marked BER, as if there could be any doubt.

No great loss to the Army I suppose, as from mid 60s onwards Pigs were being discarded. My first Pig was auctioned off in 1967 & realised £40.

No idea about the other picture, wish someone would present me with a Pig on a plaque.

• 4 years later...

I might just recall 30BK43 - I still regret selling it, but alas, her in Germany where I now live I cannot own it without cutting most of the fun parts off. Shame.

If you want more pics, Nic, drop me a message here. I have quite a lot over the 8 years I owned it. 

Regards,

Paul

• 1 year later...